Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 Landcruiser 4x4 Transmission

Elenar

Hello

I live in the UK and I have just bought a September 2003 Land Cruiser LC4, 3litre D4D auto (Prado). It is a great drive. I adore Ratchet.

I traded my 56 plate Verso for it. When I took delivery of the Land Cruiser, the dealer "explained" how things work. Amongst other things, the "2nd start" feature he said, was to warm up on winter mornings - along with another thingy that supposedly warms the engine up. The manual says different things about 2nd start!

Here's the trick though. This is my first 4x4 and I do plan on going for 4x4 lessons soon. But I've only had it for a week, so not had time yet. I was quite nervous about the Diff lock switch and the LNH transmission stick. The Toyota dealer nearly soiled himself when I reached for it. I just wanted to see/ask how easy it is to move it accidentally - in case my wife's leg bumped it and the car blew up!

He tried to explain how to work it, but he couldn't move it (The car was on). He hit it hard a few times, it woudn't move so he asked someone inside. He came back, saying NEVER to touch the HNL lever, as I wouldn't need it. One of the reasons I bought it though was to do offroading!

Anyway, he sent me away from Grimsby believing the 4x4 selection lever should be in N. Today, waitng outside school for the school run (with 5 kids in the car), I was brushing a spot of dust and knocked the lever forward to L. The car was off, but I panicked and put it back into N. I wanted to see if all was OK, so I started the car and it wouldn't move! It was in N, I checked. I switched to Drive and Reverse and my car stayed still. I switched off the engine and reached for the manual.

The MANUAL said that with the 4x4 lever in N, NO power is delivered to the wheels and that H is the best option for everyday driving. So what gives? DId I break my car, must it stay in H, N or L? Did I really drive 150 miles from Grimsby in N or was it in fact in H? Can anyone help me on this? Is the manual correct or the dealer?

Do as the manual say's keep it in H for normal driving, and diff locks and low gear are for when you are in the mud, you probably wont need them unless realy stuck in deep mud.

The 2nd start is for taking off on steep hills in mud when 1st gear would make the wheels spin.

You might have an idle up button that will only work when in neutral or park, that is so that the engine revs higher to help warm it up in the morning when cleaning the ice off the screen.

Just go by what the book say's, what do the main dealers know, they probably only sell one or two a year.

Thanks for that. As it is, I am certain that they one or two they sell a year are only for school run mums. Whereas I do the school run in mine, it also serves as a workhorse for the family. We actually have a 4x4 trip planned for this weekend - in H of course ;)

post-55610-1205827060_thumb.jpg

!Removed! hell, you should make a official complaint about that dealer, they clearly do not know the products they are selling at all!!!

Enjoy your Landcruiser off road!

I am LOVING my Landcruiser! One question though, after nearly 3 weeks of mudding around, HOW do I clean it? The car wash places won't let Ratchet in, because they say his rear door mounted spare wheel mucks up their machines.

Do I just have to do it in the drive with a bucket and spunge? :unsure:

Do I just have to do it in the drive with a bucket and spunge

YES.........Carry on :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Don't wash it, clean ones look like the school run mob. ^_^ :lol:

For sure they do. AT least the heaps of mud on my car gives him some character. But isn't mud on the car bad for the paint job?

Yes, it is. Clean it properly and then make sure you put plenty of wax on it. Preferably two or three coats!. It might be a pain in the a***e but it will protect the paint if you're offroading. Branches and thorny things should slide off with the minimum of damage!! Good luck with your cruiser!

Stew.

Yes, it is. Clean it properly and then make sure you put plenty of wax on it. Preferably two or three coats!. It might be a pain in the a***e but it will protect the paint if you're offroading. Branches and thorny things should slide off with the minimum of damage!! Good luck with your cruiser!

Stew.

Will any wax do? I must admit, I've ever drive my car through the car wash. The last time I washed a car myself was bac in 2002. The thought though of hand washing and polishing my car is quite unnerving! It would probably take the better part of a weekend! Luckily I have a garage :)