Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Creaking Clutch

robertobowls

Hi everyone, sorry I posted this earlier on the wrong section

I have a problem with a creaking noise from the gearbox end of the clutch mechanism ONLY when I press down on the pedal.

It's coming from the area behind the rubber boot which covers the clutch operating arm/fork.

I took it to my local service centre and the first time the sprayed some WD40 behind the gaiter, which cured it for about three weeks, then it came back.

I mentioned it again when the car went in for a service last week, when they changed tack and said trying to lubricate this area - ie the clutch operating arm and release bearing - was not a good idea because it could get on to the clutch plates and contaminate, ie knacker, the clutch.

The clutch works fine with no slipping or dragging or stiffness or gear selection problems, just this creak which is driving me nuts.

I read some old posts from a member called Deekay which demonstrates how to lubricate this problem and even suggests there is a built-in hole in the rubber gaiter for this purpose. There are even pictures. (It's from some years ago).

I can't decide if it's just lack of lubrication or build-up of dust on a moving part, or something more serious like a wearing release bearing. And I can't decide what to do because my garage said I could knacker the clutcg. As I say, the only symptom is the creaking noise.

Should I take it to a Toyota dealer?

Cheers, Robert B, York

Very common problem - sorted loads at work.

I never spray inside the bellhousing as there is a chance it will go all over the clutch plate.

The noise will be coming from the pivot ball for the clutch release arm.

What i do is - remove the clutch slave cylinder, remove the rubber boot/cover, pop the clutch release arm off the pivot ball and using a small paintbrush brush the pivot ball with grease.

Push the arm back on, refit the boot and slave cylinder and all will be fine!

Mart.

Hi mart, thanks for your advice. Afraid this sort of thing is beyond my capability. Any idea how much my local Toyota dealer might sting me to do this job?

Cheers, Rob B

Not a clue sorry, any capable garage could do it really - not a big job if you are handy with spanners :)

Id say it should take less than 30 mins if you know what you are doing.

Mart.

Not a clue sorry, any capable garage could do it really - not a big job if you are handy with spanners :)

Id say it should take less than 30 mins if you know what you are doing.

Mart.

I need to do this too. Would you mind explaining how you 'pop' off the release fork and put it back on. From what I've read, its a big no-no to do this without dropping the gearbox.

I understand there is a sort of wire spring clip on the fork that holds it to the pivot ball. Is there any chance that the fork will not go back in after removal?

edit: me being thick - I had it in my mind about removing the fork completely, when in fact I believe it is too big to fit through the hole in the casing anyway.

So, after popping the clip, you pivot the fork all the way to the left, get in there with a greased brush, then pivot back to the right to re-engage the clip - Is it a case of 'popping' it on, or is it a fiddly job with a thin screwdriver?

• 10 months later...

I also have this problem - could you elaborate with a diagram/photo to illustrate the procedure for fixing it?

Thanks.... creeeeack,... sorry, that was me...

also have this problem, drives me nuts. Yeah some pictures would be great to hav an idea how to sort it. Cheers!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links