Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa - Loss Of Power And Engine Warning Light

Mr.Spoons

thanks propnut i will surely have that done but one more thing i like to know is that before with the old turbo there was no kind of noise but after i have had this one installed i can hear a kind of whisteling sound when i take off could that be a reason . anyway i have had no kind of lights lit up on my dash. so hope fully when i have time i am going to see a turbo technition. thanks again for your reply ;)

Turbo's typically have a whine but if you are hearing a whistling then you may want to check all the pipes associated with the turbo. Could be that either one has come off or simply come loose. Check that they are all fully pushed onto their moorings and then tighten all the clamps to ensure the seal is good. Also check for any split hoses.

Hi all im a newbie ! Just wondering if anyone knows much about the Previa. I have a 97 automatic and the overdrive light keeps on flashing and also the speed gague is not working ! I have checked to see if a fuse has gone (from checking the forum) there seems to be only one fuse box and all the fuses are ok do I dont know what to do or if this is a big problem. Any help would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

Hi all im a newbie ! Just wondering if anyone knows much about the Previa. I have a 97 automatic and the overdrive light keeps on flashing and also the speed gague is not working ! I have checked to see if a fuse has gone (from checking the forum) there seems to be only one fuse box and all the fuses are ok do I dont know what to do or if this is a big problem. Any help would be most appreciated. :rolleyes:

The speedo is electronic and relies on input from the gearbox. The fact that your O/D light is flashing as well tells me there is a fault in the system somewhere. Often the wiring from the steering column breaks so the first thing you should do is take off the steering shroud and see if there is anything obvious and then move down the system towards the transmission. You may find that one of the connectors on the box has either come off or is dirty. Simply removing the connectors and putting them back on again may be sufficient to overcome a dry contact.

You also should really start a new thread as this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread and nor is it even about the same type of vehicle

• 2 weeks later...

HI

NEW HERE SO HELLO EVERYONE....

WELL THE TURBO CAN BE DAMAGED THROUGH DEBRIS FLYING IN THROUGH THE AIR FILTER, VERY POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY WHEN AIR FILTER IS NOT GENUINE PART AND TENDS TO SPLIT AND LETS IN A VERY SMALL STONE WHICH CAN DAMAGE COMPRESSOR BLADES SEVERLY AS THEY SPIN SO FAST, ITS QUITE RARE BUT GUYS IT DOES HAPPEN. ALSO AIR FILTER IS NORMALLY CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO TURBO VIA A BOOST PIPE. ALSO IF SOMETHING WAS BROKEN INSIDE THE ENGINE YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT IT, SO THAT STORY IS BS. ALSO THE ONLY WAY SOMETHING CAN COME FROM ENGINE IS FROM EXHAUST MANIFOLD IN WHICH CASE IT WOULD HAVE SMASHED COMPRESSOR TO BITS

ALSO FOR BILAL WHY NOT TAKE THE AFM OFF AND CLEAN IT WITH BRAKE AND PARTS CLEANER, IF IT IS DIRTY FROM OIL BURNING IT MAY HELP, IF NOT ITS KNACKERED.

ALSO FOR THE GUY WITH THE THE FLASHING O/D LIGHT, YOUR CAR IS GIVING YOU A WARNING, YOU HAVE GONE TO DRIVE SAFELY HOME MODE, EITHER YOUR LAMBDA SENSOR IS KNACKERED (MOST LIKELY) OR YOUR AFM IS DEAD. IF YOUR CAR IS HIGH MILEAGE ITS MOST PROBABLY THE LAMBDA SENSOR.

TO RESET THIS FLASHING O/D LIGHT GO BACK TO END OF IGN WAIT 10 SECONDS AND TURN CAR ON IT SHOULD STOP O/D LIGHT FROM FLASHING

WHY IS EVERYONE BUYING NEW TURBOS FROM TOYOTA? NOT ONLY ARE THEY THE MOST EXPENSIVE RIP OFFS BUT CAN YOU NOT SEE THEY ARE DRUMMING UP BUSINESS FOR THE SMART DEALERSHIP THEY WORK IN, MOST OF YOU GUYS HAD A MESSED UP WASTEGATE ACTUATOR WHICH COSTS LIKE £150 MAX AND YOU SPENT THOUSANDS ON TURBOS (NUTTERS OR VERY WELL OFF WHICH ARE YOU?) NO OFFENCE.....

TOP TIPS SO YOU AVOID TURBO FAILURE,

WARM CAR UP BEFORE DRIVING ESPECIALLY ON COLD MORNINGS AT LEAST 5 MINUTES OR DO NOT DRIVE OVER 2 000 RPM TILL TEMPRETURE NEEDLE REACHES HALF WAY LINE - WARMING UP FOR 5 MINUTES STRONGLY ADVISED - IN EMERGENCY DRIVE SLOWLY TILL ENGINE WARMS UP

ALSO AFTER SPIRITED DRIVING, OR UPHILL DRIVING LEAVE ENGINE TO TICKOVER FOR A MINUTE OR SO BEFORE TURNING OFF

REMEMBER TO GET ENGINE OIL CHANGED VERY REGULARLY SAY EVERY 3 TO 4 THOUSAND MILES (TURBOS LOVE NEW OIL)

IF YOU ADHERE TO THESE 3 MAIN RULES YOUR TURBO WILL LAST VIRTUALLY FOREVER

ALSO IF YOU GIVE THE OLD GOAT A GOOD THRASHING FROM TIME TO TIME IT SHOULD KEEP THE ACTUATOR WORKING PROPERLY AND HELP IT FROM LOCKING UP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links