Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'96 Rav 4 Engine Swap...

Karma Supra

I have been asked to do an engine swap this weekend, all I know so far is taht its a '96 SWB rav, not sure what engine it is...

Anyone done one of these? Any pointers? (Weak engine mounts, particular bolts that sheer off etc)

Cheers

Charlie.

I have been asked to do an engine swap this weekend, all I know so far is taht its a '96 SWB rav, not sure what engine it is...

Anyone done one of these? Any pointers? (Weak engine mounts, particular bolts that sheer off etc)

Cheers

Charlie.

Aye - the guys at The Garage in Motherwell have done 1 and undergoing a 2nd for me.

The '96 engine is a 3SFE. The guys had trouble with bolts shearing etc with the first one (my '94 RAV had done 160k miles and most of that was in scotland so the car had been subjected to lots of salt and grit.) Its easier if you try taking the engine out below - one previous nut-job in a garage took the engine out the top and made a complete ***** of it!!!!

The 2nd RAV '94 model I have has done 79k miles. Its engine came out no bother at all, and work on fitting the 3SGTE has commenced. Having done one 3SFE to 3SGTE turbo, then this swap will not be a learning experience! Its not been done before in Europe on a RAV so we got some tips from a couple of folk in NZ and Australia.

If you are doing a straight engine swap, then its straightforward. On the first swap, we had bother with engine mounting bolts and 1 sheared. Weren't bothered about the exhaust cos all that was being replaced anyway. If you like, you could try phoning the place - either Marc or Dennis (who did the work) could give you their experience - 01698 265303. Marc has worked with MR2s and Supras - they are finishing off fixing somebodys conversion of an MR2 to a ferrari style Shell.

Cheers...

I have worked on 3S-GTEs before so that thats, ok, was just worried about bits that might break like engine mounts/manifold studs etc...

Supras pretty much will always break engine mounts when you pull an engine thats been in for a while!

Cheers...

I have worked on 3S-GTEs before so that thats, ok, was just worried about bits that might break like engine mounts/manifold studs etc...

Supras pretty much will always break engine mounts when you pull an engine thats been in for a while!

For interest, is it a 3SFE for 3SFE swap you are doing?