Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Upgrade

Wayne Sundborg

Can anyone help me? I have purchased an MR2 G Ltd Import 1991. I am looking to put some new alloy wheels on it and spacers. Can anyone tell the best size wheels? I was looking at probably 18'' and possibly 25mm spacers. does anyone know if this will work

Welcome.

Why do you want spacers; I thought they were something to be used if the wheels you want aren't available with the correct offset, or if you have particularly large brakes to clear.

And if you do need a spacer, 25mm seems a lot; you're going to but putting a lot of extra strain on the wheel bearings and the spacer itself.

Best avoided if you can. as IMHO, are 18" wheels on the MR2, but each to their own.

does anyone know if this will work

afaik you can just about fit 18's but... you will experience tramlining and with smaller walled tyres you will get less feedback than with none low profile tyres.

Best thing to do is let a wheel tyre person help you with selections.... envy know their stuff .... it was like they were wheel tyre gurus when I asked them about my mr2 wheel tyre headache.... you may need to get a bit of your wheel arch rolled tho

why do you want 18"? they look horrific on Mr2's , if you need spacers, you are buying the wrong wheels

17" max on an mr2, or you will just ruin the purpose the mr2 was designed for and look like a d1ck ....

:)

why do you want 18"? they look horrific on Mr2's , if you need spacers, you are buying the wrong wheels

17" max on an mr2, or you will just ruin the purpose the mr2 was designed for and look like a d1ck ....

:)

i might not put it eloquently, but im not a fan of 18" WHEELS, my 17's look big and i still have to lower the car which will enhance the illusion further

at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste and if you only want to drive around your local tesco's car park picking up acquaintinces in baseball caps pointing skyward and 15yo single mothers sporting more waistline tread than your tyres i guess its a good look. If on the other hand you have bought the car to go, and go well handling corners and giving the feedback it was designed and produced to do, the 16"'s are the perfect size.

enjoy your car, do to it what you want, because its yours and everyone else can ........ well you get the message

Boooo to all the 18" haters, Just because you cant afford the Tyres hehe :P :lol:

I think it depends on the type / style of 18" wheels you go for and if you have a body kit fitted (18" Halfords wheels on a stock MR2 on stock suspension might not look right ;) ).

I have 18" Work Equips on mine and I think it finishes it off great!! -

dscf1031largemediumcm8.jpg

they are quite wide, I think they are 9J or 9.5J and when I took one of the rears off you could see where they have had to grind a bit of the wheel away so it didnt catch the coilovers.

Never drove a MR2 with 17" or lower on so cant comment on the handling but mine handles great! Was on the motorway in it for the first time the other day and it was excellent :D

oh and I dont have spacers on mine.. Surely adding spacers will make them stick out of the body making it not look right?

thats great ;)

Im glad you make a qualitative judgement for everyone :) personally I think its utter *****e :thumbsup:

well duhhh, so you might, who cares? just as i thought the other topic was as old as the hills, but guess what, your views differ!

get over it :rolleyes:

but mine handles great! Was on the motorway in it for the first time the other day and it was excellent :D

WHAT?

yeah all those sharp twisty corners on the motorway must have had you in a right pickle

my other car, being a 15 year old 1.2 standard corsa ( :rolleyes: ) also sits on the motorway as its supposed to, but it handles like a bag of sh1te ........ get it down some country lanes/b roads!

looks stunning :) :thumbsup: nice cruise mobile

i guess not everyone wants to scream around corners and down country lanes where there may be a tractor waiting around the bend just out of sight. I guess having really FAST cars and driving them accordingly isn't for everyone seeing as speed limits, unforseen dangers, criminal prosecutions if stuff happens..... I guess some don't find themselves able to manage to comprehend that within legal limitations a car can handle well even if it isn't upto 'track' spec.....

looks stunning :) :thumbsup: nice cruise mobile

no this is a cruise mobile:

90.lexus.ls400.500.jpg

a lowered MR2 on bone crunching 18" wheels with low profile tyres is NOT a cruise mobile, especially for the motorway

i guess not everyone wants to scream around corners and down country lanes where there may be a tractor waiting around the bend just out of sight. I guess having really FAST cars and driving them accordingly isn't for everyone seeing as speed limits, unforseen dangers, criminal prosecutions if stuff happens..... I guess some don't find themselves able to manage to comprehend that within legal limitations a car can handle well even if it isn't upto 'track' spec.....

LOL , I will assume that this part of your post is in reply to mine. all of what you stated there is fair enough, :) but to say a car handles great on the MOTORWAY is just stupid, and totally missing the meaning of handling!

The best handling MR2 I've ever seen runs on standard 15" wheels.

I don't know for sure whether or not it would be even better on larger wheels, but I suspect that it probably wouldn't.

A well sorted suspension makes a huge difference to handling, whereas the diameter of the wheels is relatively unimportant. And wheels that are too wide tend to cause more problems than they solve.

But if you like the look of them, and if they don't upset the car's handling too much, then each to their own.

To look right I think they really need big brake kits behind them though; IMHO big wheels and standard brakes look really bad.

actually i DONT like the way mine handles on the motorway, it feels floaty and vague but i think its either a worn steering rack, track rods at the front or the 4wheels need laser tracked to set them true.

drove a friends 2 there recently and the difference was amazing so better get mine sorted, but the matter of having no engine takes precedence i guess.

oh and STEVE O, i can admit when i was rong your car is stunning, but a bit dubious of having to have a wheel grinded in order to get it to fit?

no this is a cruise mobile:

nice egocentrism.... any car can be 'cruised' in. Its really just the use of the term cruise in question... semantics if you get that.

an MR2 is NOT a cruise mobile, especially for the motorway

see above

handling!

what you are referring to is not a polar term eg. its 1 or 0, its on or off, etc. It is in fact a scale, which means that there are points in between the 1 and the 0, the on or the off. A car will still handle eg. turn corners, take bends, change lanes etc. Therefore if you wish to state someones misse dthe point of handling, I'd suggest that anyone who tries to use the term in a polar sense , is missing a lot more than someone who acknowledges it.

But I guess you will have a global opinion for everyone :)

you really are a bit of a pillock, who has no concept of understanding the bare minimum, i give up i can see its past your ability to learn :)

you really are a bit of a pillock, who has no concept of understanding the bare minimum, i give up i can see its past your ability to learn :)

the picture beneath your name what movie is that from, i know its the guys from 40 y o virgin that made it......

the picture beneath your name what movie is that from, i know its the guys from 40 y o virgin that made it......

its from superbad, if you've not seen it, then go see it bud

but mine handles great! Was on the motorway in it for the first time the other day and it was excellent :D

WHAT?

yeah all those sharp twisty corners on the motorway must have had you in a right pickle

my other car, being a 15 year old 1.2 standard corsa ( :rolleyes: ) also sits on the motorway as its supposed to, but it handles like a bag of sh1te ........ get it down some country lanes/b roads!

Been on loads of tight country roads and again the handling is great in my opinion, goes around corners realy well. Maybe its also to do with the Cusco Coilovers as well... Then again Im not flying around them at 100mph but I dont realy care, whats the point in having either A. a Nice Smashed up car where youve pushed it too far or B. a Nice car but banned from driving or C. killing yourself...

If I was taking it on the track I would put some standard sized wheels on as they are best for acceleration as well but Im using it on the roads where the fastest legal speed you can go is 77mph unless you go over to the Isle of Man..

For my cars setup on Coilovers the 18" wheels seem to work great, someone on Stock suspension or just lowering springs with 18" wheels might not get the same results...

I love this car for cruising around in, Yea its loud inside and a bit bumpy due to stiff suspension (So stiff that you cant even rock the car!!) but thats the way I like it, feels / sounds like a proper track / racing car :D

Thanks to everyone that liked my pic ;)

77mph

im not sure this right m8.... I was under the impression the 10 percent only applied at 30.....

dont know, I was told 10% in any zone?? Anyone else know?

lmao I'm glad you give up. it was like 2 seperate conversations.... yours was rubbish and tiresome....

lmao I'm glad you give up. it was like 2 seperate conversations.... yours was rubbish and tiresome....

the 10% applies at all speeds to absorb discrepancies in speedo readings, its mostly for the older cars as most new ones are pretty accurate.

so technically you would be boderline at 77mph, as your speedo may actually UNDERREAD and el cid will do you proper!

word.

ps ive left lots of posts today as im bed ridden with the super-aids ( a flu basically but i wangled a nurse out of it) so all presents and sympathy would be greatly appreciated....

also because the weather is crap and i live on the singular-ly most exposed piece of land in the world.... ( termon%$(in, Co Louth, Ireland. on a !Removed! golf course by the sea, its on google earth)

my sky dish is now somewhere on its way to manchester and as a result i am TV-less.

i mean how **** is that?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links