Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camry 2.4 Vvti Engine Noise

camryuser

Hi,

hopefully someone who has the same engine or is knowledgeable could help me out here.

I'm getting a ticking/tapping noise from my 2.4 vvti. Its very noticeable at tickover and remains in the background at higher revs. I've also noticed pinging at about 1200 revs.

Are these normal, or is there something that needs checking/changing?

I hope someone can advise me as it doesn't seem normal and is quite irritating.

Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

update:

After a lot of online searching, I've noticed theres a problem with the intake manifold in a lot of U.S cars. The problem is due to a piece of plastic coming loose inside the manifold which causes a rattle. It doesn't do any damage, its just very irritating!

Could this be my problem, and is the intake manifold called something else here in the U.K, just so I know when it comes to me replacing it.

• 2 months later...
update:

After a lot of online searching, I've noticed theres a problem with the intake manifold in a lot of U.S cars. The problem is due to a piece of plastic coming loose inside the manifold which causes a rattle. It doesn't do any damage, its just very irritating!

Could this be my problem, and is the intake manifold called something else here in the U.K, just so I know when it comes to me replacing it.

I can't believe nobody else has this problem, its so common in the states, there must be someone :wacko:

I can't believe nobody else has this problem, its so common in the states, there must be someone :wacko:

Because were probably the only two people out of the 600 or so MKV's that were sold in the UK who read this forum.

It's probably unrelated but I think the 2.4's are chain driven so it could be the chain clattering a bit, or a dry belt which wouldn't tick but would create a repetitive noise.

Because were probably the only two people out of the 600 or so MKV's that were sold in the UK who read this forum.

It's probably unrelated but I think the 2.4's are chain driven so it could be the chain clattering a bit, or a dry belt which wouldn't tick but would create a repetitive noise.

Yeah you're probably right about us being the only two looking on here - isn't it a shame we're driving the last of the camry imports...the latest ones in the states look pretty good.

Never really thought about the chain being a cause of noise. I'll ask my mechanic to have a listen near it. Mind you, I've had a listen right next to the inlet manifold and it does seem to come from there.

Thanks for your reply!