Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xt4 - Black Sills?

shotgun2k

I am about to buy a 2004 XT4 5dr auto Lagoon Blue, it has got black sills, are these original or have they been painted? The car is a low mileage and would not have been used off road so the sills are unlikely to have been damaged. Any info would be helpfull so I don't buy a problem.

I am about to buy a 2004 XT4 5dr auto Lagoon Blue, it has got black sills, are these original or have they been painted? The car is a low mileage and would not have been used off road so the sills are unlikely to have been damaged. Any info would be helpfull so I don't buy a problem.

Yep these were an accessory! I never knew the side steps came in black on the older Rav4.

It was only when looking at the european website that I saw these in black, and put this as request when my Dad bought his Rav4.

It should appear as a matt black and look OEM, if its been painted, it will look it!

But in answer to your question, it was an option, though not many people went for it ;)

TBH on a Rav4 IMO it looks the nuts ;)

.....pity its not an option on the New shape rav4! I would have chosen the matt black side steps in a heartbeat :thumbsup:

I think you mean the sills themselves. I have a red 4.3 and the sills are definitely black on mine and just in case you see any flaking, mine has done that as well and I have had it from new. I will be mentioning that when it goes back for its second inspection.

I believe the sills on the 4.2 are also black but need somebody to just pop their head out to look!

Sills on my old silver pre-facelift 4.2 were certainly black, in fact I think most of that lower area was black, unlike the 4.3.

My 4.3 sills aren't flaking, but you can see spots of silver (the 4.3 is silver too), where some of the black hasn't taken.

.....Back from the O2 Anchorman? Bet you loved it! There's an interview with Don Henley on Virgin Radio Tonight @ 9:00, if interested.

The side sills were black on the 4.1, until they turned to rust when they went a brown colour before falling off.......

And I don't think theres too many RAVs been used for off roading other than into a field pulling a caravan or light use. The suspension set up at the rear prevents serious off roading. Plus the car has to depend on 1st gear only to do off-roading - not like a landrover which is geared for slow work :lol: :lol:

I think you mean the sills themselves. I have a red 4.3 and the sills are definitely black on mine and just in case you see any flaking, mine has done that as well and I have had it from new. I will be mentioning that when it goes back for its second inspection.

I believe the sills on the 4.2 are also black but need somebody to just pop their head out to look!

Just popped out to double-check my 2005 4.2 and the very top of the sills are painted body colour but the sides are black. FYI, when I just touched mine, the body-coloured part is actually very slightly raised compared to the black part, with a noticeable 'bump' feelable, but not really visible.

Also- not got any flaking on mine (that I have noticed, at least)

Hi

Just checked my 2004 XT4 5dr manual in Lagoon Blue, my sills are black up to around the top quarter of an inch (visible when door is closed) which is blue and slightly raised.

When checking the car also

1) Ensure the Leather inserts in the doors are firmly stuck, with mine the trim came loose at the edges in summer heat and required some careful evosticking to fix

2) alloys for corrosion , a couple of mine required replacing under warranty due to bubbles appearing under the paint

Both of the above were minor problems.

Regards

Ian

Hi

Just checked my 2004 XT4 5dr manual in Lagoon Blue, my sills are black up to around the top quarter of an inch (visible when door is closed) which is blue and slightly raised.

When checking the car also

1) Ensure the Leather inserts in the doors are firmly stuck, with mine the trim came loose at the edges in summer heat and required some careful evosticking to fix

2) Alloys for corrosion , a couple of mine required replacing under warranty due to bubbles appearing under the paint

Both of the above were minor problems.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian, and all you others with replies, my mind is now at rest and I am going to enjoy my new (to me) Rav after retiring my Jeep Grand Cherokee piggy bank!!

Just popped out to double-check my 2005 4.2 and the very top of the sills are painted body colour but the sides are black. FYI, when I just touched mine, the body-coloured part is actually very slightly raised compared to the black part, with a noticeable 'bump' feelable, but not really visible.

Also- not got any flaking on mine (that I have noticed, at least)

Brilliant, Just what I wanted to hear, thanks for taking the time to reply,

Shotgun2k.

The side sills were black on the 4.1, until they turned to rust when they went a brown colour before falling off.......

And I don't think theres too many RAVs been used for off roading other than into a field pulling a caravan or light use. The suspension set up at the rear prevents serious off roading. Plus the car has to depend on 1st gear only to do off-roading - not like a landrover which is geared for slow work :lol: :lol:

Let's hope mine stay black then, thanks for the reply - lang may yer lum reek!

Shotgun2k.

Brilliant - thanks.

Shotgun2k.

Yep these were an accessory! I never knew the side steps came in black on the older Rav4.

It was only when looking at the european website that I saw these in black, and put this as request when my Dad bought his Rav4.

It should appear as a matt black and look OEM, if its been painted, it will look it!

But in answer to your question, it was an option, though not many people went for it ;)

TBH on a Rav4 IMO it looks the nuts ;)

.....pity its not an option on the New shape rav4! I would have chosen the matt black side steps in a heartbeat :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply although I was refering to the sills themselves father than side steps. It's nice to know there are so many peaple out there willing to help - I think I am going to enjoy this club!

Sills on my old silver pre-facelift 4.2 were certainly black, in fact I think most of that lower area was black, unlike the 4.3.

My 4.3 sills aren't flaking, but you can see spots of silver (the 4.3 is silver too), where some of the black hasn't taken.

.....Back from the O2 Anchorman? Bet you loved it! There's an interview with Don Henley on Virgin Radio Tonight @ 9:00, if interested.

Thanks

It was excellent and I will listen to the interview - thanks.

This is my flaking paint on a rather grubby sill;

flake.jpg

And slightly :offtopic: a very cold Tower Bridge;

TowerBridge.jpg

And more suitable for the music thread - the Eagles;

Eagles.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links