Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rubbing Strips

corollasr

does anyone know how the side black strips are attached on the 98 model corolla as i want to remove mine if they're only just glued on

any help appreciated

ed

is it just a case of pulling them off and then just using a bit of polish to buff the covered area and some white spirit on the glue?

and is it just smooth underneath or is there an indent from where it was?

cheers

ed

You will have to heat them up first then use dental floss to get rid of the glue then heat up the little bits that are left on the body panels and then use T cut or something like that to tidy the area up.

or get a garage to do it for you :thumbsup: Who ever debaged your car would be the best people to do it mate :D I took off my 1.6 badges on the side of the car I was not in the best mood after I saw the little bits of damage :censor: :censor: :censor: ask finecactus he saw the results a santa pod :lol::lol::lol: best to get someone who knows how to do it to take it off!!!

oh yeah there is no indent :thumbsup:

i debadged my car myself. was easy. left no real marks, well nothing a bit of t-cut wouldnt sort

may do it this afternoon

cheers

ed

its looking good. so far i've only done the rear quartr panel strips, which alone took an hour to get the panel completely free of glue, but i think it'll be worth it.

ed

ok well i'll run you through my method

1. rip the strips off

2. heat the glue and scratch off as much as possible with fingernail or cocktail stick

3.clean with white spirit.

4. more scratching with nails or cocktail stick

5. once more over with white spirit to finish it off.

6. polish.

looks good and doesn't leave any marks. gonna do the bits on the front panels tomorrow and then do the main long bits next week as they're a good few hours work

ed

:thumbsup:

You will have to heat them up first then use dental floss to get rid of the glue then heat up the little bits that are left on the body panels and then use T cut or something like that to tidy the area up.

or get a garage to do it for you :thumbsup: Who ever debaged your car would be the best people to do it mate :D I took off my 1.6 badges on the side of the car I was not in the best mood after I saw the little bits of damage :censor: :censor: :censor: ask finecactus he saw the results a santa pod :lol::lol::lol: best to get someone who knows how to do it to take it off!!!

oh yeah there is no indent :thumbsup:

:lol::lol:

Er yes... i thought it was modern art you were trying to do...lovely swirls.

Getting back on tack now,...thinking back to my days in the trade where we had a model which had side protection strips fitted, to which we had loads of people want them removing. The best time to do it is when both the body work is warm and the glue (id wait till summer) With a caring grip, tease the strip off slow and with a heat gun in the other hand (hair dryer will do the same) heat the strip further down. Dont yank it off it may take paint off with it. Once you have the strips off dont worry if there is tones of glue left on the car. Again with a heat gun warm the surface and use a de-greaser fluid>> brake cleaner is what I used to use. Its a messy long job the sort you wished you never started but once all the glue is off wack on some wax and shine it up :thumbsup:

finecactus

when i got my brake calliper paint kit i got some stuff called 'quick cleaner' for the callipers. do you think this will be ok or will it wreck the paint?

cheers

ed

I used boiling water (well just cooler than) to remove the strips off my old car. Worked a treat.

Joe

finecactus

when i got my brake calliper paint kit i got some stuff called 'quick cleaner' for the callipers. do you think this will be ok or will it wreck the paint?

cheers

ed

I think it would be ok because brake cleaner is just a very good de greaser at the end of the day. But dont hold me to that. The best thing i would suggest is try rubbing it on some paint work where it wont be noticed if it does mark. For example in the boot or a door shut. But rememebr to do it and then leave it for a while because a quick wipe on and you may think arrh thats ok not marked, jobs a gooden etc but sods law would then later when the surface has dried off and been left you can see a mark. Best thing is to take things slow and dont rush the job :thumbsup: