Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Revs High ...is It About To Go...?

roadsider

NEED my car more than ever in next week and today i heard it rev higher than normal (did have an empty light trailer on at the time, abandoned trip and returned home) ... could clutch be about to brn out????

was told to check clutch fluid levels ....is there even clutch fluid in my car? if yes, where is the tank i should check?? ... any help would be appreciated ...

I have looked in owners manual .. lovely pictures but seems a clutch is not even mentioned.

Toyota Carina 2.0 SL T Diesel

Possibly. But:-

Did you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal when this happened?

Were you on dry road? What gear were you in? Setting off? Accelerating? Any chance it was wheel-spin, rather than clutch slip?

Low fluid very unlikely to be the culprit. It might account for other clutch problems, but not slippage as a rule. But if you want to check, the clutch fluid normally on the bulkhead, just in-front of the driver. Open the bonnet, then look the back of the engine bay on the driver's side; If you have a hydraulic clutch you'll see two reservoirs - one for clutch fluid and one for brake fluid next to each other.

If it is clutch slip, and you noticed it once then failure probably not imminent; you may have a few hundred miles before it goes completely, more if you take it easy.

THANKS ... I was on dry road possibly in fourth or fifth gear accelerating steadily foot off clutch at the time ... def high rev and not wheel spin... also a slight burning smell ... i have driven short journeys last few days and no smell or slippage. I looked for the fluid reservoir ... cant find it. Is it one of the sealed units that i am never ever ever supposed to open ..because it warns me on the lid so much i am scared of it ??? :eek:

I only want to keep car on road until september and hope not to spend very much money until then ( cos i have none LOL :lol: )

i will take it easy and make no long journeys in it.

I have loved this car ... but it is slowly dying right in front of me.

Hey thanks again for reply ... info on the SEALED units would be welcome.

;)

Possibly. But:-

Did you have your foot completely off the clutch pedal when this happened?

Were you on dry road? What gear were you in? Setting off? Accelerating? Any chance it was wheel-spin, rather than clutch slip?

Low fluid very unlikely to be the culprit. It might account for other clutch problems, but not slippage as a rule. But if you want to check, the clutch fluid normally on the bulkhead, just in-front of the driver. Open the bonnet, then look the back of the engine bay on the driver's side; If you have a hydraulic clutch you'll see two reservoirs - one for clutch fluid and one for brake fluid next to each other.

If it is clutch slip, and you noticed it once then failure probably not imminent; you may have a few hundred miles before it goes completely, more if you take it easy.

Hm, that sounds like clutch slip.

These are the Brake and Clutch fluid reservoirs on a Corolla. I doubt they look much different on the Carina.

Toyota-Corolla-Brake-Clutch.jpg

But as above I don't think fluid is the issue at all; the fluid moves the clutch when you press the pedal and your symptoms are nothing to do with what happens when you press the pedal.

You're only making the problem worse when you set off, or else press the accelerator hard to make the car speed up quickly. So if you want to make it last just set off carefully, and avoid fast acceleration.

BTW had the car not been used much for a while; sometimes you get a bit of slip when a car isn't used much, and if that's the case it could be ages before it gets worse.

If you do find it's getting much worse then get it changed sooner rather than latter; if it wears down to the rivets then it'll damage the flywheel. I can't believe it would cost a fortune to have the clutch replaced if it does go.

Hey THANKS

Loved the pictures btw very reassuring

I am a visual kinda gal ;)

well i will check those places as soon as the boss sets me free into the sunshine B)

Love this site... i will be a mechanic in no time LOL

:D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links