Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Celica Gt4 St205

nix125

Right think I have changed my mind on getting an early gt4 Im now looking at the ST205 94 onwards jap import. Can anyone tell me exactly what to look out for when trying to get a decent one of these cars what can go wrong with them is there any giverways to say "hey dont buy this car its ******"?

I've seen a few wrc trd's for sale what the story on these puppys?

Cheers guys!!!! :D

Right think I have changed my mind on getting an early gt4 Im now looking at the ST205 94 onwards jap import. Can anyone tell me exactly what to look out for when trying to get a decent one of these cars what can go wrong with them is there any giverways to say "hey dont buy this car its ******"?

Hi there

Just to let you know that I have a very nice Celica GT4 ST205 for sale. It is an import so is more powerful then the English version at 255 bhp. It is red (fantastic shining paintwork), full service history, great body work with no rust. It has a stainless steal cat back blue flame exhaust (life time guarantee), new tires on front. No mods to the engine so has not been tampered with. If you are interested let me know and I can send some photos and let you have all the info on it. It is a lovely car.

Paul

the suspension is the thing to watch out for when your buyin a gt four. the fig 8 bushes seem to go at about 60000 or so. can be expensive to fix. you should really look for 1 that has had the rear dif mount replaced and all the fig 8 been replaced. also look for smoke on start up and blue smoke on boost (sign the turbo is on it way out or already gone). Also look for 1 that has been running no more the 1.1 bar of boost. if there is no boost controller or sign that there has ever been 1 then it should just have been running standard boost. the gt four shouldnt b using more than 1.1bar if it has stardard internals. to go more than this it would need some work, forged pistons etc. Wrc versions have a few extra bits of kit, anit lag and water injection (non of which are active).

look for an example that has had the oil changed every 3000 miles or so.

i would suggest to go on to the gt four owners club and sign up for 60 day trail, they offer all the info you would need to mantain your four and they also have a few for sale and it would tend to be a good example if it been owned by a member.

best of luck

Thanks for the useful information I've heard about thos from other sites. do you think you can do the fixure of eight on your back is that the sub frame bushes or the strut area? Im looking at spending around £3500 bearing in mind I can do most mechanical things myself so a lower milage one will be good to find. do you know if the wrc has different pistons?

Thanks for the useful information I've heard about thos from other sites. do you think you can do the fixure of eight on your back is that the sub frame bushes or the strut area? Im looking at spending around £3500 bearing in mind I can do most mechanical things myself so a lower milage one will be good to find. do you know if the wrc has different pistons?

no it has the same pistons. there is 1 for sale on the owners club for 3500 for a quick sale. im not to sure if the back has fig 8 bushes, i know 100% that the are on the front and quite easy to spot but not 100% about the rear. the only other difference is that i think jap imports have ceramic turbine in the turbo but uk 1s are steel. you would need to check that but im sure i read about this some where. people talk about the wrc havin lighter panels etc but i dont think this is true. if anything the wrc would be heavier with the extras you get on it.

no it has the same pistons. there is 1 for sale on the owners club for 3500 for a quick sale. im not to sure if the back has fig 8 bushes, i know 100% that the are on the front and quite easy to spot but not 100% about the rear. the only other difference is that i think jap imports have ceramic turbine in the turbo but uk 1s are steel. you would need to check that but im sure i read about this some where. people talk about the wrc havin lighter panels etc but i dont think this is true. if anything the wrc would be heavier with the extras you get on it.

Ah what I mean is can you do the figure of eight on you back in the drive way "not in the air at a garage on a ramp"? Would'nt have thought they would be put on the rear to be honest but I've ordered a technician's manual so I will soon see when I view the exploaded diagrams.

Wont be getting the car till a coulple of months but when I do I may consider doing a few things to it myself. I will probely put in forged pistons to be able to tolerate very high boost pressures, buy a larger hks compatible turbo and increase the boost a considerable amount putting carfully worked out thicker head gasket on. I will have to set up a new reprogrammable ECU and then finally get it propely mapped on an a rolling road.

The WRC have lighter panels. Some dont have ABS like mine, so the cars weigh in a bit lighter. In my opinion they are a bit quicker. They all have the anti lag valve though.

Nix125 I have sent you a pm.

The WRC have lighter panels. Some dont have ABS like mine, so the cars weigh in a bit lighter. In my opinion they are a bit quicker. They all have the anti lag valve though.

Nix125 I have sent you a pm.

?????? what lighter panels? alu fronts? sorry but they dont! any wrc gt fours i have seen or worked on do NOT have lighter panels. it was asked on the gt four owners club too and i think it was agreed that they were not lighter panels.

a close friend of mine has a wrc and its not as quick as mine. pretty much the same done, cat back exhaust, panel air filter and dump valve. his is slower. not by much but its slower. high spoiler takes about 10 mph of the top speed too

The lighter panel is something which I was informed about. I may well be mistaken.

Led-GT4 going back to whether a WRC is quicker or a GT4 . You mentioned that your car is faster than a WRC. There are many factors that come into play when comparing the two vehicles. You can't take one example and make such an assumption.

If that was the case then why build a WRC model. Surely the public would not buy such a vehicle if it was slower.

The lighter panel is something which I was informed about. I may well be mistaken.

Led-GT4 going back to whether a WRC is quicker or a GT4 . You mentioned that your car is faster than a WRC. There are many factors that come into play when comparing the two vehicles. You can't take one example and make such an assumption.

If that was the case then why build a WRC model. Surely the public would not buy such a vehicle if it was slower.

yes they would as there was so little of them made. toyota wanted to get the gt four into the wrc, for them to do this they had to make 2500 with the wrc spec ie anit lag, spray bar etc

i know that there are many factors ie driver weight etc but if both cars were standard and the drivers wer the same weight the non wrc would be quicker (we could be talking about fractions of a second) but the fact is that the wrc has more gear on it that isnt used therefore havin more weight. as also stated before the spoiler takes a bit of the top speed.

the difference between the 2 models is very little and is nit pickin to spot the difference.

im not talkin about wrc celica being slow or anything, to spot the difference in speed u would need to be looking very closely but fact is the wrc would be a heavier car, not by much tho.

i think there is less sound deadening in the wrc or something like that but fact is most gt fours would have the sound deadening from the under the bonnet removed anyway.

fact is that when you start modifing the gt four you will prob shave weight of a lot of things anyway ie de cat etc. i agree the wrc is more exclusive and therefore nicer to have but you do not benifit in havin 1 over the normal jap import unless u plan to wire up those aditional features and if i remember correctly they are i nightmere to get workin

Mine is up for sale going cheap, check the for sale section

yes they would as there was so little of them made. toyota wanted to get the gt four into the wrc, for them to do this they had to make 2500 with the wrc spec ie anit lag, spray bar etc

i know that there are many factors ie driver weight etc but if both cars were standard and the drivers wer the same weight the non wrc would be quicker (we could be talking about fractions of a second) but the fact is that the wrc has more gear on it that isnt used therefore havin more weight. as also stated before the spoiler takes a bit of the top speed.

the difference between the 2 models is very little and is nit pickin to spot the difference.

im not talkin about wrc celica being slow or anything, to spot the difference in speed u would need to be looking very closely but fact is the wrc would be a heavier car, not by much tho.

i think there is less sound deadening in the wrc or something like that but fact is most gt fours would have the sound deadening from the under the bonnet removed anyway.

fact is that when you start modifing the gt four you will prob shave weight of a lot of things anyway ie de cat etc. i agree the wrc is more exclusive and therefore nicer to have but you do not benifit in havin 1 over the normal jap import unless u plan to wire up those aditional features and if i remember correctly they are i nightmere to get workin

Interesting debate guys Its difficult to get to any sites that are specific to this topic theres so much rubbish on the internet one place says one thing then another site says somthing completely different the problem is, is that its that !Removed! themselfs who will probely know all the answers, anyone speak Jap? haha probely not Doh. Would be great fun to pull the two apart and really see if there is a difference at all. From what I can see the english st205 has 239 bhp and the import from japan has 255 bhp carnt see this been because of fuel diffence tho ***** knows what the wrc has, is there an english wrc and a jap wrc? Interestingly the toyoya mr2 (same engine with a *****ty intercooler cooled by a fan so boost is limited) jap import only 1994 has 245 bhp my ex girl has one and its pretty quick Id didnt belive her till I looked it up and its true but probely quicker than the celica because it doesnt have to drive a prop shaft and is only 2wd so less resistance to the wheels if you know what I mean celica would need at least 280 bhp to compare because driving four wheels but on the other hand celica will handle lots better so thats why I want this car just goes to show you tho the jap cars are usually more powerfull, My bro has a new honda integra jap import 20 bhp more than the english civics with the same engine just goes to show the !Removed! like to have all the fun and keep their power to themselfs "*****s"

The idea about the jap turbo having a ceramic blade and the english not would make sence to the extra power.

Also my kawasaki ZX6R import Is definately more powerfull than the English equilavant why do the !Removed! do this?

Interesting debate guys Its difficult to get to any sites that are specific to this topic theres so much rubbish on the internet one place says one thing then another site says somthing completely different the problem is, is that its that !Removed! themselfs who will probely know all the answers, anyone speak Jap? haha probely not Doh. Would be great fun to pull the two apart and really see if there is a difference at all. From what I can see the english st205 has 239 bhp and the import from japan has 255 bhp carnt see this been because of fuel diffence tho ***** knows what the wrc has, is there an english wrc and a jap wrc? Interestingly the toyoya mr2 (same engine with a *****ty intercooler cooled by a fan so boost is limited) jap import only 1994 has 245 bhp my ex girl has one and its pretty quick Id didnt belive her till I looked it up and its true but probely quicker than the celica because it doesnt have to drive a prop shaft and is only 2wd so less resistance to the wheels if you know what I mean celica would need at least 280 bhp to compare because driving four wheels but on the other hand celica will handle lots better so thats why I want this car just goes to show you tho the jap cars are usually more powerfull, My bro has a new honda integra jap import 20 bhp more than the english civics with the same engine just goes to show the !Removed! like to have all the fun and keep their power to themselfs "*****s"

The idea about the jap turbo having a ceramic blade and the english not would make sence to the extra power.

Also my kawasaki ZX6R import Is definately more powerfull than the English equilavant why do the !Removed! do this?

the cermic blades is true mate.

the jap imports have extra power cause the ecu in them is mapped to take 100ron fuel as the uk is only mapped to take 95ron. 100 ron fuel isnt so easy to get over here but its standard in the land of the rising sun! this is where the 15bhp comes from. higher ron fuel and the ecu being mapped to cope with it.

i know the mr2 has less power as it doesnt get the same cooling as the front engined gt four. and yes wud b a bit quicker of the mark due to only being 2 wheel drive. they are great cars and i thought long and hard about gettin either the four or the mr2. decided on the gt four as it has room for four and in the wet im not going to end up in a hedge! lol

i know the mr2 tubbys can be great handling cars in the dry but in the wet many meet there end. would love 1 as a summer car tho!

Hey sorry for quickly changing the subject but does anyone know what the jap imported st185's are like and what to look for when buying. What BHP are they kicking out they are meant to be more than the Non imports? Do they still have the figure of eight to look out for when and are they any good at handling?

so the wrc and normal gt4 doesnt have alu wings, but how does the front wings differ to that from the st202 models?

so the wrc and normal gt4 doesnt have alu wings, but how does the front wings differ to that from the st202 models?

im not sure if there are alu or not i just said that the wrc and normal gt four have the same wings (well any ive seen) and 1 isnt lighter than the other. I thing the gt four is wider than a normal st202 and maybe thats y they wouldnt fit. its something ive never looked in2 but ive read it a few times that the normal wings wont fit a gt four, i wouldnt know for cert unless i had 1 of each to see the difference.

i know theres no rust on my wings at all and the bonnet is alu so they could very well be alu

• 12 years later...

Hi. New to the group. I'm looking for a celica gt4 gear selection. Mine is damaged. Would anyone have one to sell or know where I can get one.