Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Plans....

Jimlad

Ok...

In Febraury I'm planning to get the respray and fit all the bodykit I have sitting up in the attic. After this... (probably around May), I plan on doing some power upgrades and a few other things.

This is what I'm planning.... This should hopefully get me to 360BHP.

Stage 3 CT26 (fensport)

Forged Pistons

Larger Fuel Injectors

Stage 2 Clutch

Fidanza lightweight flywheel

Braded Brake Hoses

Big Brake Conversion

New Leads

Uprated Actuator

Aftermarket Seats of some sort

ICE

I have a question though... with the above, would I need some sort of cooling ?? Or will the uprated turbo be able to handle the increased boost pressure ?

Anyone got any other suggestions.... additional things.. or possibly something instead of the above ??

the turbo, injectors etc should get you to about 300 BHP .. I've seen 330 BHP on the same setup on a rev3 .. you are going to need a new ECU, bigger turbo etc to get 360 ..

and then you'll probably tear through a stage 2 clutch ..

All told it'd be about 4k plus fitting for the engine mods .. then ICE and re-trim would be another 1 or 2k ..

when you say a new ECU.. what do you mean ?? An uprated one, a rev3 ?.. A Bigger turbo ?!?!?

Like what a garrett turbo ? This is what I was also thinking of.

For the Garret I would need the above also I take it... anything else ?? I'm gonna talk the my local Jap Performance place to see what they suggest also.

Also.. how much would a stage 3 clutch set me back ?

New ECU .. 2k of MoTec goodness (launch control, traction control etc - you'll need ABS though) .. you'll probably need to go about stage 3 on an Owens turbo to get 360 bhp ..

My stage 3 clutch & FW was about £600 from the US. Then duty and fitting.

best bet is a mappable system like MoTec or GEMs but they aint cheap but the do give far superior results to piggy back systems like the apexi

an uprated intercooler may be an idea to lower charge temps

if your going for the fensport stg 2 clutch (cerametalic padle drive plate with competition cover) then it should handle the power fine. adrian from fensport has the same in his rolla and that has done loads of launches on a car with 4wd and over 450bhp and thats still ok

ok.. thanks for the information about the clutch.. I've also emailed fensport to see what they say.

I was thinking of some sort of intercooler.. but not some sort of weird massive thing which takes up the whole boot.

So I would need the ECU , stage 3 turbo, stage 2 or 3 clutch, forged pistons and larger fuel injectors.

Would I defo need some sort if intercooler etc also ?

ok.. due to the cost of certain parts... (ECU) etc.... this may be a project to get completed by the end of next year. If I wasn't getting the resrpay etc.. then it wouldn't matter that much.

But can't do everything at once... unfortunatley... :(

Would a 360BHP MR2 still be easil driveable as an everyday car ?

360 bhp be drivable? Depends on the turbo - I'd rather go with 300 BHP and all the tricks to get the power down .. than 360 BHP and have to wait for 4.5k rpm before any boost ..

But then if you go MoTec .. Antilag .. :D

Bibbs... did you get those TRD leads from Rogue Systems ?

Antilag ?? .... sounds nice. Where can map ECU's etc ?? Dunno if anywhere can round here.

Fensport state that full boost is available from 3200rpm from the stage 3 turbo.

Where can you get a MoTec ECU from ? ... I can't see Dorset not upping my premium if I get all this done... lol

TRD from MTTE ..

Any good tuning place can map a MoTec - there is a lot of pre maps out there and the support is good in the UK. I'd suggest getting the car to Owens for a week.

If you get a laggy turbo - add nitro to spool it up quick .. :thumbsup:

Am i right in thinking this is all being bolted on to a rev 1. How many miles has is got jim - last thing you want to do is buy all this crap have it fitted and mapped and then blow the engine.

I suppose if your going to the trouble of having forged pistons then its a complete engine strip and re-build - so it shouldn't matter on age.

Have you thought about a stroker kit - may aswell while you have it stripped down. What about water injection to aid in cooling, that combined with a larger intercooler in stock position and a fan kit from us it should be pleanty.

A project like this will put your car out of action for quite a while whilst the engine is being built, is it a daily driver for you, if so you might need to take that in to consideration.

Hi Matt....

It has 35,000 miles on the clock. Yeah it's a rev1.

What exactly would a stroker kit do ?

If it is off the road for quite a while, I'd prob just hire a car. How long we taking here ?... or the Jap place near me does give out courtesy cars.

When you say fan kit.. do you mean the engine lid fans you guys are working on ?

Striker kit is basically longer con-rods .. makes the engine a 2.2 but then it doesn't like revs as much (no worries on a turbo).

Quite a while .. I know someone who is into month 14 ..

another idea is to get a late spec engine to build up to your desired spec then when complete sell the old one. late spec engine with forgies, big injectors and stg2 turbo=aprox 380bhp(using MoTec).

fensport can supply fit and map MoTec and they do all my mapping work.my corolla(ST-205 3S-GTE) was pushing 310bhp on a std bottom end with std 550cc injectors and stg 2 turbo before i upped the boost too much and cracked a piston. new engine is under construction and is planned to be putting out 380bhp. it was also very drivable and would trundle along in traffic as well as it went on a good empty stretch of road.

like i say id build up a late spec engine as you start from 245bhp so have less to get to get your 360bhp :thumbsup:

another idea is to get a late spec engine to build up to your desired spec then when complete sell the old one. late spec engine with forgies, big injectors and stg2 turbo=aprox 380bhp(using MoTec).

fensport can supply fit and map MoTec and they do all my mapping work.my corolla(ST-205 3S-GTE) was pushing 310bhp on a std bottom end with std 550cc injectors and stg 2 turbo before i upped the boost too much and cracked a piston. new engine is under construction and is planned to be putting out 380bhp. it was also very drivable and would trundle along in traffic as well as it went on a good empty stretch of road.

like i say id build up a late spec engine as you start from 245bhp so have less to get to get your 360bhp :thumbsup:

I agree 100%...if your looking for decent power at resonable cost then I would stop spending cash on your Gen II and do the above.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I've been emailing fensport and for this...

1) Stage 3 Turbo and Forged Pistons, Larger Fuel Injectors -

they said..

You would need some way of controlling the injectors for this option, the stage 2 clutch would be fine for this. Water injection would be recomended for this model as this does suffer from heat problems..

I now have the water injection kit.. ( or I will have in a few days ! Thanks Matt!! ). But how would I go about controlling the larger fuel injectors ?

mappable engine management eg motec. M4 will be sufficiant for the mr2 but will set you back about £1200+fitting

Don't forget to consider the order of gettin eerything done m8. e.g. If u get the MoTec straight away u'll need rolling road retune for practically every mod u make. The stuff ur planning sounds awsome tho, try and let a decent garage / tune-up place know you've got a lot of stuff coming so the'yre gonna c a lot of u. This'l help bring down the price a little :thumbsup:

As for the ALS i'd always been told/read that they destroyed ur engines, but i started a discussion w. some1 on these forums about that, basically they're running ALS and have been for a while. No problems so far. Too tired to search for the post, if ya can't find it lemme know and i'll link it for ya.

l8r m8,

-Z

Crumbs - it sounds amazing, but costly - you must have a load of cash lying around! What do you do? Company director :)?