Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beeping Noise

02skn

Just washed the wifes Rav and noticed that when the key is in the ignition and the doors are left open you hear the most annoying beeping sound. Is there any way to disable this noise so you can hear the radio without the beeping in the background?

Just washed the wifes Rav and noticed that when the key is in the ignition and the doors are left open you hear the most annoying beeping sound. Is there any way to disable this noise so you can hear the radio without the beeping in the background?

Not sure if you can turn it off but you could close the drivers door and open the window so you can still hear radio.

Also the beep only happens when you have the key turned to position 1. If you turn it to the next position the beep will stop.

Mart.

Not sure if you can turn it off but you could close the drivers door and open the window so you can still hear radio.

Also the beep only happens when you have the key turned to position 1. If you turn it to the next position the beep will stop.

Mart.

If you turn the key to position 2 the ignition lights turn on. I was always told it was bad to leave the car in this position for a long time, though for the life of me i cannot remember why.

Probably kill the Battery in 10 mins (well, that what it does to me :mad2: ) - especially if the interior lights are still on, the fan is on, etc, etc.

I think the beep actually happens if the key is in the ignition in position 0 (just pushed in) as well. I reckon it is a "you've left the key in the ignition" warning rather then a "you've left the door open" warning

Probably kill the battery in 10 mins (well, that what it does to me :mad2: ) - especially if the interior lights are still on, the fan is on, etc, etc.

I think the beep actually happens if the key is in the ignition in position 0 (just pushed in) as well. I reckon it is a "you've left the key in the ignition" warning rather then a "you've left the door open" warning

Of course the Battery will go flat if you turn everything on in the car :rolleyes: , but having the ignition on without everything turned on wont drain the Battery too quickly.

The beeper is a 'key left in igniton' warning but only starts to beep with the door open (unless the ignition is in position 2) this is why i suggested closing the drivers door :D

Mart.

Mart.

If you turn the key to position 2 the ignition lights turn on. I was always told it was bad to leave the car in this position for a long time, though for the life of me i cannot remember why.

Then close the door and open the window lol.

Is this when you are cleaning the car why you ask?

Mart.

I only ask as most beeps on cars seem to have a secret way of switching them off. I thought it might be the old ignition on, then off, then on off quickly while standing on one leg and by magic no more beeping!!

I only ask as most beeps on cars seem to have a secret way of switching them off. I thought it might be the old ignition on, then off, then on off quickly while standing on one leg and by magic no more beeping!!

Possibly, not heard of anyway of doing it myself. Keep the thread at the top and you may get an answer :D

Mart.

Probably kill the battery in 10 mins (well, that what it does to me :mad2: ) - especially if the interior lights are still on, the fan is on, etc, etc.

Of course the Battery will go flat if you turn everything on in the car :rolleyes: , but having the ignition on without everything turned on wont drain the Battery too quickly.

The beeper is a 'key left in igniton' warning but only starts to beep with the door open (unless the ignition is in position 2) this is why i suggested closing the drivers door :D

Mart.

You reckon? I was clearing out my car last sunday - had the radio on, ignition on pos 1 and door closed - Battery died in 10 mins!! :D

Mart.

You reckon? I was clearing out my car last sunday - had the radio on, ignition on pos 1 and door closed - Battery died in 10 mins!! :D

Time for a new battery i think :)

Mart.

Set up headphones for the radio box on a long bit of speaker wire and you won't hear the beep.....?

The bleeper works!

It is designed to irritate you enough to take the key out. Leaving the ignition on (pos 2) used to be a big problem with coil based systems as it would overheat and burn out after 5 or 10 minutes. These days it is more a question of everything else running as stated.

If you locate the buzzer you can stick some masking tape on it but think on if it gets nicked and trashed and you want to make a claim an eagle eyed assessor will kick it out.

• 11 years later...

My 2004 Toyota Rav4 has suddenly started bleeping!  Nothing showing on the dash, it bleeps quickly and then to a louder slower tone.   I took it into the garage but of course it stopped!   Started again today, luckily I was near home.   Any ideas what is causing this as its making me very jittery?