Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retro Fit Cruise Control Avensis T3-s

axus44

I just finished putting a leather steering wheel from another Avensis with CC on to my Avensis, it's a 2004.3 1CD. CC doesn't work either :disgust:

As mine is a T2 model I'm assuming the wiring isn't there. I'm also interested to find out how I can wire this up.

Seems Terry managed to get it working so it's possible http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/125212-follow-up-on-retro-cruise-control/page-2#entry1118196

Alex ,Terrys car is a t25 2004 Diesel Estate ,i too have a T2 model which i can't get it to work so i too wiil be interested to know how we go about getting this thing to work.

I've been doing some homework:

• The 1CD-FTV engine ECU which isn't wired for CC will look like page 179 on the ecs-1cdftv file attached,
  • wired with CC it'll look like page 333 in the cc-1cdftv file attached,
  • The ECU is on the right of the engine in a black box
  • E10 should refer to the connector type - see k_connector file attached
  • and B should refer to the conenctor location on the ECU e.g. A,B,C,D
  • Files 54 and 52 should show suitable routing for a cable tob e routed

I doubt I've got time to put this in to practice this weekend but I'll update people on my progress - if any.

cc-1cdftv.pdf

ecs-1cdftv.pdf

k_connector.pdf

52.pdf

54.pdf

• Like 1

ECU is actually behind the glove box, not under the bonnet so wiring is much easier.

If you remove the trim/cowel covering the underside of the steering column you'll see the input wires for the rotating connectors that lead to the airbag etc plug in to. Mine doesn't have a white wire, so I added one, routed it down the steering column, through the back of the cenral column and in to the section behind the glove box.

I'm still waiting to wire it to the ECU though. I'm assuming connectors A and B are the ones covered by a security bracket so need to remove this and plug the wire in. Trouble is, the screws holding this down are a perticularly tricky tamper-proof 5 point star (TS25/TS27 ish size) design and on a Sunday nowhere that might sell such a bit is open.

• Like 1

Good info Alex,this will save me time looking for the ECU when I manage to get time to do mine..

Don't suppose there's any chance of you doing a "How Too " on the subject?is there.with a few pics.

I can confirm my cruise control now works after finishing the wiring.

Unfortunatly I don't have time to do a full step by step walkthrough with photos but can point people in the right direction.

Steps:

1. Install cruise control/new steering wheel
  2. Ground the red cruise control wire, either using the black grounded wire on the right side under the air bag or elsewhere on the steering wheels frame.
  3. Remove or partly remove the coverunder the steering wheel. Add a wire to the white conenctor on the right on the same pin as the cruise control plugs in to on the steering wheel.
  4. Route the cable down under the cover, above the pedals and left through the back of the central console and behind the glove box (you may need to remove panels to do this).
  5. On the ECU behind glove box insert the wire in to the second connector from the top into pin 24 (see the k_connector pdf in my previous post)
  6. Put everything back together and it should be ready to go. Start up the engine and press the cc button, if you get a light on the dash everything is good. If not test all connections with a multimeter.

Thank you for the info Alex,Might have another go tomorrow..no sure about step 2 though.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

My car is a 2008 T2 D-4D Avensis - Did anyone find a solution using the genuine toyota parts?

How do I find out what engine I have - I have my engine number if that helps at all?

Hey Guys,

My car is a 2008 T2 D-4D Avensis - Did anyone find a solution using the genuine toyota parts?

How do I find out what engine I have - I have my engine number if that helps at all?

In your car you have the 1AD FTV Engine or at least you should have ...:D

Hey Guys,

In your car you have the 1AD FTV Engine or at least you should have ... :D

My log book shows ADT250R-ALFNYW(1J) So I'd agree lol, I found I document on here and although it didn't show my exact model, the way the identification seems to work would say thats right lol.. Thank you for that :)

So, Any ideas if it works on the 1AD FTV engine?

Hey Guys,

In your car you have the 1AD FTV Engine or at least you should have ... :D

My log book shows ADT250R-ALFNYW(1J) So I'd agree lol, I found I document on here and although it didn't show my exact model, the way the identification seems to work would say thats right lol.. Thank you for that :)

So, Any ideas if it works on the 1AD FTV engine?

Not sure if it will work on yours might worth reading the whole thread see if your engines supports cruise control.

I've done a bit of googling seems like it is possible - but I think I need to rewire some parts... I'll have to research a little more :)

did my 2006 toyota 2.0d4d bought a steering wheel with cruise control switch fitted had to put two wires into steering multiplug one goes to earth and other goes to ecu control unit used original electrical pins/connectors from old steering wheel

did my 2006 toyota 2.0d4d bought a steering wheel with cruise control switch fitted had to put two wires into steering multiplug one goes to earth and other goes to ecu control unit used original electrical pins/connectors from old steering wheel

Excellent, I'm not sure if my 08 will be the same as the 06 but I'll have a look - I've only seen the stick for cruise, not steering wheel though - do you have to have a much newer steering wheel or did they do them for the 06 / 08 model?

Excellent, I'm not sure if my 08 will be the same as the 06 but I'll have a look - I've only seen the stick for cruise, not steering wheel though - do you have to have a much newer steering wheel or did they do them for the 06 / 08 model?

They come up now and again on eBay Drew so its a case of keep scanning eBay until you see one at the right price..hth

I've just bought a complete steering wheel with the stalk fitted, which was cheap as I can then sell the wheel straight on and should get most of my cash back :)

Gotta have a go at this :)

I'll see if I can make a walk-through guide while doing it, just in the hopes if it works, then others can also do it :)

Edited by Drew Johnstone
  • Like 1

You may want to use the electrical connections from the old steering wheel as they will fit into the the terminal blocks to make a good job (you have to pull the side out of the plugs to remove the electrical pins a bit tricky can be done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone have the actual part number for the cruise control stalk please?

Those eBay links are now expired

My car is a 2004 Avensis 1.8 so think should be the "easy way" to install (take off steering wheel cover and plug-in)

Thanks

2004 will have wiring installed, 2006 on need to add earth and wire to ecu

Cool..thanks

What's the part number of the stalk I need?

I think I found one on eBay, but its part number does not match the photo in the PDF guide (the Spanish language one)

Hi , there's a video on u tube showing you how to fit after market cruise control . Just type in search how to fit cruise control Toyota & it will take you there. Also I found one on eBay stalk that is . attachment=19543:ImageUploadedByToyota OC1428058352.517901.jpg] I'm thinking of doing the same later let me know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

post-131343-142805835303_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have the actual part number for the cruise control stalk please?

Those ebay links are now expired

My car is a 2004 Avensis 1.8 so think should be the "easy way" to install (take off steering wheel cover and plug-in)

Thanks

From what I have read it does not wok on 1.8 as the ecu does not support it, can anyone clarify?

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a complete steering wheel with the stalk fitted, which was cheap as I can then sell the wheel straight on and should get most of my cash back :)

Gotta have a go at this :)

I'll see if I can make a walk-through guide while doing it, just in the hopes if it works, then others can also do it :)

Hi Drew,

i've recently bought Avensis 2.0 D4D from 2008. I checked the wiring and can say that I don't have the white wire going into E10 pin 24/21 (don't know which one is for the face lift as i've read different opinions). I'm awaiting a steering wheel with the CC stalk build in. If i'm to install this steering wheel with the CC do I have to make any other wirings except the white wire from the ECU E10 pin21/24 to the steeting wheel?

Any other help would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Emil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links