Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch

maximumbob

My Celica GT4 has a very heavy clutch. You also have to put the clutch all the way in to change gear smoothly and even then the gear box sometimes crunches. It is really annoying me as my local (very trustworthy) garage can't find anything wrong with it. It is just really hard work changing gears. Please help. :help:

Are you sure the clutch is OK?? It sounds to me like the clutch is due for replacement. As the clutch wears the diaphragm fingers pivot out to keep the pressure plate in contact with the friction plate. This has the effect of making the clutch feel heavy although you don't normally notice as it's a gradual build up. You only really notice when you have a new clutch and your're surprised how light the new one feels. You will also probably notice that the biting point of the clutch has got really close to the floor

The clutches do get a bit heavy when they wear,also its likely to be the clutch release bearing not moving smoothly on the sleeve of the input shaft due to a build up of centre plate dust on it as the clutch wears - either way it's a fair old job to replace the clutch.

:crybaby: