Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Colorado Auto - Oil Temperature - Towing

fable

I have a 1999 V6 petrol automatic Land Cruiser for which I use to tow a caravan which is 1550 KG unladen.

The automatic gearbox smells hot/warm after use both towing and also under normal solo use.

Experienced warning light and lost all drive - needed rescue.

Oil and filters have been changed and a 'Kenlowe' oil cooler fitted. The gearbox under use still smells warm - no warning lights show and the water coolant temp. remains normal. The oil and filters were changed by a non franchise garage.

1.Any other action I can take ?

2.Anyone else experienced a similar problem ?

Many thanks.

I have a 1999 V6 petrol automatic Land Cruiser for which I use to tow a caravan which is 1550 KG unladen.

The automatic gearbox smells hot/warm after use both towing and also under normal solo use.

Oil and filters have been changed and a 'Kenlowe' oil cooler fitted. The gearbox under use still smells warm - no warning lights show and the water coolant temp. remains normal. The oil and filters were changed by a non franchise garage.

Many thanks.

What position has the oil cooler been fitted, is it getting the fresh air required when driving so it cools the oil properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks.

What position has the oil cooler been fitted, is it getting the fresh air required when driving so it cools the oil properly.

Oil cooler fitted by non franchise garage. Instructionbs said fit at bottom of rad horizontaly or vertically at one side.They chose the latter, oil cooler rad is visible through front grill on right of rad looking from front. It does appear to be well into cool air flow. Instructions withn rad claim it would be effective even if air flow was restricted.

Although gearbox fluid was discoloured when problem occured it seems clean now.

No sign of water on dip stick ( read post on site re. rad failure )

Have you fitted the oil cooler inline with the original one in the bottom of the rad.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links