Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 3sfe Engine

Bignose

Does anyone know why the Avensis 3SFE engine is 126bhp whilst the Carine E 3SFE engine is 131bhp.

I was going to buy an Avensis, but after driving the Carina E I found the performance noticeably stronger though obviously not as quiet as the Avensis, just wondered if anyone knew why they reduced the output when the Avensis is also a heavier car. Seems odd.

Does anyone know why the Avensis 3SFE engine is 126bhp whilst the Carine E 3SFE engine is 131bhp.

I was going to buy an Avensis, but after driving the Carina E I found the performance noticeably stronger though obviously not as quiet as the Avensis, just wondered if anyone knew why they reduced the output when the Avensis is also a heavier car. Seems odd.

Just different revisions i think, my Currens 3sFE is 139/140

I was under the impression that Toyota re-mapped the engine managements when carrying the engines over from the Carina E to give better fuel economy. I remember reading it somewhere.

:thumbsup:

Umm not sure about the fuel economy idea as dad's CarinaE did more MPG than my Avensis did and they both had/have 3S-FE auto's.

I would reckon on it being more to reduce emissons as they are quite high due to the age of design of the engine, also, by reducing the BHP slightly they may have increased the torque, or BHP and torque might be lower down the rev range where it is more useful.

Nah it was definately for the economy thing too. Don't forget the Avensis is a heavier car.

• 3 weeks later...

In Denmark the first Carina E's had 133bhp up until revision in '95 I think, then it had 126/128bhp ..

anyways .. my point was that not all Carina E's here are equipped with the 133bhp engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links