Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Wax

Notebook

Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss

This won the Auto express best wax award - what do you use?

Thanks

being a car valeter i use many polishes Meguiars is one of my favourites which i use on my own cars ive found it is a very good polish and leave a good deep shine to all paint surfaces!!

Autoglym Aqua Wax is very easy to apply to a damp car after washing and gives some good results. :thumbsup:

being a car valeter i use many polishes meguiars is one of my favourites which i use on my own cars ive found it is a very good polish and leave a good deep shine to all paint surfaces!!

Is this for use after you have washed it? Please can you explain the best way to go about it -eg wash wax polish etc and which Meguiars to use. The rav4 is carbon colour.

Thanks

There was a thread on here recently that exstolled the virtues of Concours-look Carnauba wax P21S, sold as R222 in Europe. I tried some on the better half's Rav 4.2 on Saturday and we are both super impressed. Dead easy to put on, no residue, easy shine. This evening, after snow, frost etc, she said again how bright and spangly it looked - I agree. It was the easiest wax I've ever used.

Mine is going to get a shine this weekend...

eg wash wax polish etc

It's polish, then wax notebook.

I like the Megs products, though I don't have much experience of other polishes apart from Autoglym which I used for years.

I get the impression that a lot of detailing people like most of the Meguiars products apart from the wax, but there hundreds of companies producing different waxes, so everyone seems to have their favourite.

I'm currently using the Meguiars products with their NXT wax which is more of a sealant than a traditional wax. It gives great results IMHO.

eg wash wax polish etc

It's polish, then wax notebook.

I like the Megs products, though I don't have much experience of other polishes apart from Autoglym which I used for years.

I get the impression that a lot of detailing people like most of the Meguiars products apart from the wax, but there hundreds of companies producing different waxes, so everyone seems to have their favourite.

I'm currently using the Meguiars products with their NXT wax which is more of a sealant than a traditional wax. It gives great results IMHO.

So to get this correct

wash

polish

wax

Thanks

So to get this correct

wash

polish

wax

Thanks

Essentially yes.

Depending on the condition of your paintwork the steps may require extra stages - e.g. cleaning might require the use of a clay bar after the wash, or you might need corrective action as part of the polishing stage to remove scratches or to treat faded paintwork, but fundamentally the three main steps are:-

Clean (wash, clay etc) = clean off dirt and contaminants

Polish = get the paintwork itself free of scratches and other imperfections etc

Wax = protective lay of wax, or sealant, or sealant + wax on top of your polished paintwork.

Once you've done the three main steps correctly you can get away with just Wash + Wax because polish only required if something goes wrong - i.e. new scratches introduced, or paint fading because wax wasn't re-applied in time etc.

So to get this correct

wash

polish

wax

Thanks

Essentially yes.

Depending on the condition of your paintwork the steps may require extra stages - e.g. cleaning might require the use of a clay bar after the wash, or you might need corrective action as part of the polishing stage to remove scratches or to treat faded paintwork, but fundamentally the three main steps are:-

Clean (wash, clay etc) = clean off dirt and contaminants

Polish = get the paintwork itself free of scratches and other imperfections etc

Wax = protective lay of wax, or sealant, or sealant + wax on top of your polished paintwork.

Once you've done the three main steps correctly you can get away with just Wash + Wax because polish only required if something goes wrong - i.e. new scratches introduced, or paint fading because wax wasn't re-applied in time etc.

Thanks for your advice.

Tiny scratches near the key locks - whats best for these? - is there any online guide to all of this type of work?

Also

I ahve read alot of good reviews on meguires stuff - any good?

last Q's

wash with a mit?

what to use to apply polish - electric buffer?

also wax - hand or buffer? - or is this a definate no no

thanks

Thanks for your advice.

Tiny scratches near the key locks - whats best for these? - is there any online guide to all of this type of work?

Depends how deep the scratches are, and what your paint type is.

DetailingWorld.Co.Uk is the best place for advice on this type of stuff IMHO. Search on there, or if you don't find the answer then post up some pics.

Also,

I ahve read alot of good reviews on meguires stuff - any good?

Yes, I think so. Seems popular, though as I said, plenty of people prep with Megs, then use Dodo Juice or other Wax on top. I use Megs wax though.

last Q's

wash with a mit?

Always! Sponges trap dirt and that can create scratches. And use the 2 bucket method.

what to use to apply polish - electric buffer?

Yes, if you're removing scratches they make it soo much easier. The new Megs machine is Orsum I think - not the very best, but for the money it's fantastic.

also wax - hand or buffer? - or is this a definate no no

Some people do, but not much point to be honest. Polishing is hard work, whereas with Wax it's just a question of applying it evenly and wiping off the residue. It's overkill and you probably get a better result by hand.

I use Meguires wax and it lasts a long time as the rain just bounces off 4 weeks after applying it for the first time. Well worth the extra. The car stays shinny and spotless clean for at least 2 weeks.

p.s. I do not own shares in Meguires

• 2 months later...
Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss

This won the Auto express best wax award - what do you use?

Thanks

Turtle Wax eh?! I would have thought that Autoglym would have won...goes to show what I know...

I use http://www.monzacarcare.com/products/?category_id=6154 - Meguirs wax and http://www.monzacarcare.com/products/?category_id=6110 - Zymol wax and have excellent results. I'd also be interested to know what others think.

Zymol HD Cleanse followed by their Titanium Wax twice a year.

• 5 months later...

I use Victoria wax Concours.

Its a great product and when applied over a well prepped surface, beads water really well and has a really great look that much more expensive waxes give!

I`ve just bought the other half a 1998 5 door GX Rav4(dark green) , just put some Megs NXT on for now until I can fully detail it.

THe megs is really easy to apply with a damp sponge pad, buffs off super easy too!

If anyone is interested I can post the process on here?

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

i've got some of the Victoria Wax products, i have to say that it is THE best stuff i have used, for end finish and lasting shine, the only down side is the process of applying by hand as it takes so long.

In the 2-3 years i had my celica i used to wash/polish and finish it on a weekly if not twice weekly basis, after detailing with Victoria Wax products i never had to do more than give it a wash with plain water and a micro fibre cloth.

m4xmw, did you get your wax in the UK or import it?

• 7 months later...

ive just bought the autoglym high definition wax £46 in Halfords (£26 delivered off eBay ) lol

and it leaves the best finish ive ever had on any car with any product IMO the best £26 spent . bit of a bugger to get off but the results are well worth it :yahoo:

• 3 months later...

ive just bought the autoglym high definition wax £46 in halfords (£26 delivered off ebay ) lol

and it leaves the best finish ive ever had on any car with any product IMO the best £26 spent . bit of a bugger to get off but the results are well worth it :yahoo:

[/quotw

when i used to do valeting i found the best way to bring out the colour was to obviously wash and dry the car first. then remove all tar on the paint. i allways then used meguiars diamond cut compound with a buffer. then applied a layer of meguiars speed glaze however the auto glym as mentioned above is the best polish around now. water just falls off the paintwork.

• 2 weeks later...

I use dodo purple haze as wa and top up with a spray sealant being dod redmist, keeps beading all day long :D

Collinite 476 is another superb wax beads for around 6months with two thin layers.

Fk1000p is another superb product although this is a sealant.

• 2 months later...

I use Poorboys Natty Paste wax...The stuff smells great, easy to use and looks great after! Just bought some Dodo Purple Haze to try though! :)

I use Poorboys Natty Paste wax...The stuff smells great, easy to use and looks great after! Just bought some Dodo Purple Haze to try though! :)

You wont be dissapointed with Purple haze dude. Spread on thinly using a foam pad then buff off. If you can wait 24hr to cure then add another layer, beads lovely :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Although expensive Supernatural is an excellent wax but you can get a panel pot for about 15 quid.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-juice/supernatural-premium-wax.aspx

A cheaper but still good wax (tried by Auto Express) is Angelwax

http://www.anchemchemicals.co.uk/wax_polish/angelwax.html

I prefer sealants, Zaino, Wolfgang, Gtechniq and Nanolex which all give a superb durable finish.

I'm with you on using a sealant.

I used Collinite 476S wax initially on my metallic decuma grey Yaris and it provided great shine and durability, but when you looked at it from a shallow angle, you couldn't see the metallic sparkle properly.

The experts reckon that a wax isn't as optically clear as a sealant. (And certainly when you see a tinful, its quite opaque...) Story goes that wax is good on solid paint colours and a sealant is better on clearcoats as its optically clearer.

So I've switched to using this acrylic kit and its brilliant.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-kit-cat1.html

Its been on for six months now (I put about three or four coats of Jett on last September...) and its still got a brilliant shine and is still beading water.

For its spring polish, I've since bought a bottle of Poorboys Blackhole glaze from the same shop. They've tested the products together and say that they all work well and that the glae will give it an even better wet look finish. (It goes on between the Prime base coat and the Jett sealant...)

Some piccies of the results here...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98485

I think of Werkstat as being the younger cousin of my old favorites the CarLack/Klasse twins which also gives unbelievably good results.