Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's Getting Colder

SMW

Temps have been dropping at night where I live - was minus 2 degrees last night.

Obviously need to scrape the screen in the morning but I have noticed on Mrs SMW Yaris that she gets ice on the INSIDE of her screen ?

(It's a UK model 1.3 GLS 5 door November 2002).

Can't be right - thoughts please ?

thats is frozen condensation, got that with my old car, use the windscreen heater

My yts doesnt seem to like to start ealy in the morning at the moment, the engine is turning over a number of times before it fires... is anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers

Tom :thumbsup:

Cold starting tips...all obvious...but people forget.

A lot of ams are required to turn her over first thing... and the colder it gets the more inefficient the Battery so....

don't start with lights on.

Don't start with rear window heater on.

don't start with heater fan on.

don't start with radio on

ie don't start with any other electrical accesories turned on.

Second of all keep clutch depressed when starting.

condensation on the inside.... I'd guess she doesn't drive very far, so the car doesn't really get up to temperature...especially on the inside.

When the car is hot inside..the moisture may disappear...but it's only evaporated...to later condense...so drive with the heaters on full...and the windows open a smidge...so as to let the moisture out., once it's got rid of you should be fine...if it continues to feel damp inside..then yeah check the seals.....especially the hatchback.

When parking up for the night, close all the vents.

Vipes.

condensation on the inside.... I'd guess she doesn't drive very far, so the car doesn't really get up to temperature...especially on the inside.

When the car is hot inside..the moisture may disappear...but it's only evaporated...to later condense...so drive with the heaters on full...and the windows open a smidge...so as to let the moisture out., once it's got rid of you should be fine...if it continues to feel damp inside..then yeah check the seals.....especially the hatchback.

When parking up for the night, close all the vents.

Vipes.

Vipes

Yeah she does low miles - weekdays 4 trips a day of 2 miles each one - maybe 30 miles at weekends.

Will try your tips - didn't think of closing the vents at night - good point - ta.

:thumbsup:

Cold starting tips...all obvious...but people forget.

A lot of ams are required to turn her over first thing... and the colder it gets the more inefficient the battery so....

don't start with lights on.

Don't start with rear window heater on.

don't start with heater fan on.

don't start with radio on

ie don't start with any other electrical accesories turned on.

Second of all keep clutch depressed when starting.

Cheers vipes :thumbsup:

Tom!!

Pleasure Tom...I'm sure it will help....but don't be surprised if she's still a little lethargic on these cold mornings.... I'm sure your not jumping out of bed full of energy on these up and coming winter mornings!

Last tip I guess... and I'm sure it doesn't affect you ...but only turn the starter over for up to five seconds at a time....if she doesn't start in five seconds...wait a good 20-30 for the Battery to recover before trying again, and also stops flooding the plugs.

My TS is the same though, doesn't fire up on the first crank of the starter...takes about three in the mornings.

oh.. one more tip...the engines cold...the oil, still asleep....ie take it easy for the first few miles. Will result in less engine wear.

Then rev the :censor: off it and put a smile on your face before work!

Vipes.

Mines a bit bobbly recently. hard to describe really. A kind of nobbly-ness to the performance at low revs. I might be imagining things or it's down to the cold weather. I do a lot of miles and drive it regularly.

Starts OK though. I would have thought that after the engine was running at optimum temps, the cold, dense air would improve performance... Not noticed much if any.... I guess a cold air feed would change things.

OFF TOPIC: Is it me or does the exhaust sound deeper with 35K on the clock? (I hope it's not corrosion somewhere)

hey regarding the frozen windscreen!!

make sure the air intake selector is not set to recirculate!!so it draws fresh air into the car!

i had the problem of my windsheild always steaming up!i imagine that urs has just frozen as it is so cold

:thumbsup: