Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gt4 Wrc How Many Made?

mickdude0

Hey, new to the Toyota owners club, prob should of joined a while ago. The problem in hand is that im looking at buying a GT4 WRC but the number made is confusing me. I thought that there was only 2500 ever made but now i'm being told from friends in the know that toyota made between 2500 and 5000 of these WRC models.

I'm currently looking at buying one that is #3450. Can anyone set me stright on this?? The particular model is a jap import, and has the anti lag valve, spoiler raisers, and spray bar so it must be it. WRC min requirements was to produce 2500 but maybe they went over by a few thousand... Just don't wanna get ripped off for a replica. Any help appreacated. Cheers

Hey, new to the Toyota owners club, prob should of joined a while ago. The problem in hand is that im looking at buying a GT4 WRC but the number made is confusing me. I thought that there was only 2500 ever made but now i'm being told from friends in the know that toyota made between 2500 and 5000 of these WRC models.

I'm currently looking at buying one that is #3450. Can anyone set me stright on this?? The particular model is a jap import, and has the anti lag valve, spoiler raisers, and spray bar so it must be it. WRC min requirements was to produce 2500 but maybe they went over by a few thousand... Just don't wanna get ripped off for a replica. Any help appreacated. Cheers

theres no way thats a replica it it has those features! no 1 wud go to the bother of installing them not to use them. the 1 ur lookin at will be a wrc. toyota had to make 2500 of the wrc to enter the wrc. its unsure how many they made but ur mates are right its somewhere in the region of 2500 - 5000. not sure how u can tell what number it is tho??? not sure that the engine code is the actual production number.

have u owned a gt four before and know what to look out for when buyin?

have u owned a gt four before and know what to look out for when buyin?

Yea kinda thought that myself, but just wanted someone elses opinion. Got the guy to take some pics of the car to prove it was right, it has the anti lag, spray bar in front of radiator, and sent the car number plate. Nope never even driven a gt4, but will on friday. Drove a GT 2.0 last weekend, fair bit of go in it! Yea any advice ye have in this car is welcome. I only know the basics to watch out when buying cars, but if there's anything in particular to watch out for in this car, please let me know. I don't want to buy a donkey :)

One thing I was told to do was drive it over the worst road possible & listen out for a 'bad noise' from the front suspension bushings. These are nylon i'm told and only last about 40,000 miles - this is from a rally dude so maybe it only happens if its really being trashed.

if you think the gt has a lot of poke the gt4 will blow your socks off, i just recently bought a wrc, unless the previous owners have modified it the anti lag etc will not work, you also have to be careful with the fig 8s as this is an expensive replacement if they have not been replaced (approx 40,000miles) i found that the one i bought had a syncromesh problem, so make sure u push the car and see what the gearbox is like, i have also heard to look out for the LSD. do you know if the car is modified or not? on start up look for blue smoke, gd sign if the turbo is goosed!

let us know how you get on

Yea smoke on start up (dark smoke) and smoke when on boost again dark smoke. the suspension is a nightmere with these cars but they handle really really well. ask if the rear diff mount has been replaced as these tend to go, the fig 8 bushes tend to need replacing about 60k (mine needs all the suspension replaced soon, its beguinning to knock) check all electrics and check that the speedo is converter to mph. your could check for error codes while u are looking at it, bring a short bit of wire, if u dont know how to check for them do a search on the forum for it. these cars really need oil change every 3000 miles or so ask him if this is done and what oil is being used, fully syn oil is best. check for rust under the car, they can rust at the sills and ask if its been undersealed. if it isnt i wud suggest u do it as the salt on the roads at the winter just get away at the car. check all pipe etc going to and from the turbo as these can be expensive for what they are ie turbo to air box pipe it about 50 quid from mr t. if it has a boost gauge it should never have been used above 1.1 bar. and just generally keep an ear out for any weird noises. the car mite knock about with lowered suspension and the only way to really check if it needs a new banana arm or fig 8 etc is to jack it up and check for play in the wheel.

best of luck

Car was sold before I got there. Looking @ a nice 98, from a garage. Its got 78,000 miles but its a fresher car. Don't give a s*ite, maybe one of you boys would buy it for me!!!

Let ye know tomorrow if its as good as it looks in the pics! ;)

Car was sold before I got there. Looking @ a nice 98, from a garage. Its got 78,000 miles but its a fresher car. Don't give a s*ite, maybe one of you boys would buy it for me!!!

how did it go? any pics? how much u lookin to spend as there are some amazin 1s for sale on the owners club!

how did it go? any pics? how much u lookin to spend as there are some amazin 1s for sale on the owners club!

Hey. Was off for a bit there... Yea, I didn't get it yet but found a nice one today. It wouldn't start tho, and paint looked dull, not really what you look for when buying a car! Its a 97 GT4, black, nearly mint! Even has the orignal alloys. The only mods I can see is a turbo timer, big mad stereo thats been ripped out & some sort of box bolted on to the passengers side with a cigarette lighter and Battery check buttons??? Any idea what that might be? Anyway, the car has been lying up for about a year I'm, which must be true from the dust on it & ya know the white stuff that grows on aluminium which is on the alternator. Nothing that a good wash & wax & steam the engine won't sort out. The slightly worrying thing is that it only has 35,000 Km on the clock. I'm getting a full vehicle check done by BIMTA just to give me peace of mind. The big day's tomorrow

glad to hear you managed to find another one, just a bit of advice if the check comes back ok, ask the boy to give it a gd clean as this dirt and dust might be hiding some nasties, he should have no problem doing this for you if your going to splash the cash! an 11 yr old car with only 35k is very rare just make sure they aint been mukin about with dials, i think the gt4 is all electronic but i am sure a pin can be removed to change it! if it has been sitting for that long, a non starter sounds about right.

gd luck

glad to hear you managed to find another one, just a bit of advice if the check comes back ok, ask the boy to give it a gd clean as this dirt and dust might be hiding some nasties, he should have no problem doing this for you if your going to splash the cash! an 11 yr old car with only 35k is very rare just make sure they aint been mukin about with dials, i think the gt4 is all electronic but i am sure a pin can be removed to change it! if it has been sitting for that long, a non starter sounds about right.

gd luck

mine sat for about 6 months and started 1st time! could be the Battery.

it worries me that the guy didnt have it cleaned. if ur sellin a car that would be the 1st thing u would do. and to be honest 35000 is a rare find if it has been in this country for a long time. with that kind of miles the car should be mint and the guy should have been really looking after it. to be honest something doesnt add up.

so of the jap models had those double din tvs in them and thats prob the 1 that was removed from that 1 as they dont work in the uk.

how much is he looking and how much r u willing to spend? there are a few awesome 1s on the ower club for sale and they have been well looked after.