Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 Bad Mpg - Am I The Only One

T180Sad

I am not sure if anyone else can help. My dealer claims no one has reported a problem to Toyota (Anywhere) but I get really bad MPG

I have had my VERSO T180 for 6 months and done 13,000 miles & it was serviced bang on time.

For the type of travelling I do I should get 43-49 MPG out of my car, this is according to Toyota literature and the UK government figures for this car.

I get 32 MPG at best most of the time so i am lossing 15+

I have tried everything from different fuels to driving like a girl (Sorry ladies but its the best description I could think of)

I have even done 150 miles in one go on cruse control and in 6th gear at 70mph and got a staggering 34mpg

The dealer says everything on the vehicle is fine and that I am the only person in the UK to report this - Is this true..?

I really like the space in the car and the driving position but if I can not get better MPG I will have to send it back to Toyota for a full refund under misrepresentation and probably go back to a Ford or a Nissan.

My last car was a Mondeo 2.2st diesel and in that I got 50+ MPG with my driving so I am looking at £1,000 extra on fuel every year so any answers or other people with this problem would be a big help to know.

Cheers

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bry

• mbrennan29

• OldSkoO1

• GreyRacer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi mate, and welcome to TOC. There are a lot of threads on the Rav forum about T180's and MPG, have a look at this one -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79324

Many thanks for the hello.

It looks like the 180 motor has a problem accross the range and it is being hid by the dealers.

I can also add as bit more to this as i have a temp Verso at the moment while the dealer trys to fix an alarm problem (another issue).

Its not a T180 like mine it is the 1.8 petrol and with out changing my driving style i am getting 36-40 MPG out of it easaly... this is against all MPG Data released

This can not be right, Toyota should come clean.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

People do mention t180 consumption issues quite regulary here

Have you reset your trip computer for avg. mpg?

Have you tried a different fuel

Carrying any excess weight?

Tyres pumped up correctly?

My t180 auris gives me about 40-42mpg on vpower, 43-45mpg on Shell diesel extra. Worst i get is 36mpg and thats when giving it some serious beans.

Try calculating the mpg manually too.

• 3 weeks later...

A) Yes i have tried this, and after a few miles it gives the same readings as always (around 33MPG)

I go all over and have used many different without getting much change though supermarket fuel is worst

A) I mainly travel alone so its just me, no loading for 99% of the time

A) Checked once per week - always correct

My t180 auris gives me about 40-42mpg on vpower, 43-45mpg on Shell diesel extra. Worst i get is 36mpg and thats when giving it some serious beans.

A) If i nail my 180 i am loucky to see above the mid 20's on MPG

Done this on a long smooth run on cruse controle and got 310 miles out of 41 liters = 34.18MPG

• 3 weeks later...
I am not sure if anyone else can help. My dealer claims no one has reported a problem to Toyota (Anywhere) but I get really bad MPG

I have had my VERSO T180 for 6 months and done 13,000 miles & it was serviced bang on time.

For the type of travelling I do I should get 43-49 MPG out of my car, this is according to Toyota literature and the UK government figures for this car.

I have tried everything from different fuels to driving like a girl (Sorry ladies but its the best description I could think of)

I have even done 150 miles in one go on cruse control and in 6th gear at 70mph and got a staggering 34mpg

The dealer says everything on the vehicle is fine and that I am the only person in the UK to report this - Is this true..?

I really like the space in the car and the driving position but if I can not get better MPG I will have to send it back to Toyota for a full refund under misrepresentation and probably go back to a Ford or a Nissan.

My last car was a Mondeo 2.2st diesel and in that I got 50+ MPG with my driving so I am looking at £1,000 extra on fuel every year so any answers or other people with this problem would be a big help to know.

Cheers

Any luck yet on this problem. I have a Rav 4 with the 134 bhp engine (2.2). I obtain 55 mpg and this is a 4 wheel drive. Surely you have a problem

A) Yes i have tried this, and after a few miles it gives the same readings as always (around 33MPG)

I go all over and have used many different without getting much change though supermarket fuel is worst

A) I mainly travel alone so its just me, no loading for 99% of the time

A) Checked once per week - always correct

My t180 auris gives me about 40-42mpg on vpower, 43-45mpg on shell diesel extra. Autopartswarehouse Worst i get is 36mpg and thats when giving it some serious beans.

A) If i nail my 180 i am loucky to see above the mid 20's on MPG

Done this on a long smooth run on cruse controle and got 310 miles out of 41 liters = 34.18MPG

nice. answered every single question. i have a second question for the tyre checking though. If i check like every time i leave the house does that make me a freak?

Cheers

[i have the same problem with my T180, best I have had is 37mpg, my dealer told me the same

Regards

Murdock]

no your not alone, my MPG is shocking!

i have never seen it rise above 29mpg! currently on 27.8mpg i do give it some beans but not all the time

tell a lie, its 27.9mpg

post-48757-1213264441_thumb.jpg

The last few days have seen my consumption decrease although so have my speeds. Having read up on some driving conservation methods I have actually achieved 59.8mpg in the T180 with not a lot of increased time over local country driving. My wife has been consistantly poor with consumption averaging about 33mpg but with a little teaching she can now manage 40mpg. Unfortunately her driving style is erratic with the pedal and she is not so good at reading the road ahead to apply it to conservation of fuel. She also does not like using the cruise control which I frequently adopt.

The Toyota/Government figures will always be a bone of contention, they are figures derived from bench testing and are not real world figures. This is the same for all manufacturers, they dont base the figures on actual driving. With any of the T180 models it is very easy to be heavy with your right foot, and if you are, your consumption will be poor, this is not a fault with the car but with your driving style. Better than stated fuel consumption can be acheived, but you do have to drive like Miss Daisy. None of the published figures take into account road conditions, weather, driving style or types of road (hilly, flat, mountains!) This is a note from the VCA Carfueldata.org.uk website

"Important Note

Several different specifications (variants/versions) of a given model may be grouped together in the list. These figures are therefore indicative only. A definitive figure for a given specification will be available at the point of sale. It should also be noted that as the fuel consumption figures quoted are obtained under specific test conditions, they may not be achieved under ‘real life’ driving conditions. However the figures serve as a means of comparing models"

In other words, all manufacturers use the same bench data, so are working on a level playing field for comparison purposes

Read the ACTUAL PROCESS HERE

Hope this helps

Kingo :thumbsup:

With any of the T180 models it is very easy to be heavy with your right foot, and if you are, your consumption will be poor, this is not a fault with the car but with your driving style. Better than stated fuel consumption can be acheived, but you do have to drive like Miss Daisy.

I think we would all have trouble driving like Miss Daisy, she normally sits in the back and I certainly can't reach the pedals from there! :lol:

Goes to show the 2.0 D-4D is all round winning engine in the range. I struggle to get it below 42Mpg trashing it on dual carrage ways, average 46/47mpg during the weeks rush hours and if I go away on weekends I get 55mpg+ average. My old man managers 60mpg on his 2.0 D-4D Avensis driving off peak.

Things I do:

1. Significantly greater Anticipation than other drivers

2. Using the torque by shifting early before the shift indicator lights and get upto speed swifty (and not slowly!)

3. Small amount of engine breaking

4. Never to stop completely if possible (roundabouts)

5. Keep to a constant speed (41mph in 5th gear in a 40, 31mph in 4th gear in a 30 [31mph on the dial = about 30mph in reality or something like that])

6. When trashing it keep it in the torque band and not the horse power band

Things I fail to do:

7. Check tire pressure for 6 months :unsure:

Annoying as it might be but i'm averaging quite well and always have done.

I can get 46 nearly 47mpg out of my auris t180 on a mix of startup town and A roads driving to and from work. Over the last 2 days i've averaged 46. something mpg

I do admit over a full tank its hard to keep that up. But today i was on M-way and hit terrible stop start traffic for AGES. Speeds when things got going it was the usual high m-way speed and i still got 40mpg and that was with the extra weight of the passenger too.

I've never got below 38mpg and that with absolutly thrashing it. I even thrashed it or gave it full throttle today too and got 40mpg.

Maybe its the fuel - anyone with low consumption try a good fuel like Shell.

Annoying as it might be but I'm averaging quite well and always have done.

I can get 46 nearly 47mpg out of my auris t180 on a mix of startup town and A roads driving to and from work. Over the last 2 days i've averaged 46. something mpg

I do admit over a full tank its hard to keep that up. But today i was on M-way and hit terrible stop start traffic for AGES. Speeds when things got going it was the usual high m-way speed and i still got 40mpg and that was with the extra weight of the passenger too.

I've never got below 38mpg and that with absolutly thrashing it. I even thrashed it or gave it full throttle today too and got 40mpg.

Maybe its the fuel - anyone with low consumption try a good fuel like shell.

OldSko01 is the only person on this site who gets anywhere near the claimed consumption, god knows how as his car has exactly the same engine as the rest of us, maybe he needs to recalibrate his calculator!

The cause of the crap fuel consumption is not the fuel you use it is the fact it has a DPF fitted, no question, it nicks your fuel, no other reason, its DPF DPF DPF!!!!

Driving normally with the flow of normal traffic in a T180 returns about 40mpg, at least 6mpg below claimed, giving it some meppo and it returns 38 mpg, driving not using more than 5mm of throttle and no higher than 2.5krevs, it produces 43 mpg, dont bother trying, i have done it for 45k!!!! It will drive you mad, litteralleay ahbrpttttsaaajjjkak!

It wouldn't be so bad if the performance made up for it, but it doesn't!!!

With any of the T180 models it is very easy to be heavy with your right foot, and if you are, your consumption will be poor, this is not a fault with the car but with your driving style. Better than stated fuel consumption can be acheived, but you do have to drive like Miss Daisy.

I think we would all have trouble driving like Miss Daisy, she normally sits in the back and I certainly can't reach the pedals from there! :lol:

Sorry,absolutely know way under any circumstances can better than claimed fuel consumption be obtained with my T180, I have never under any circumstances (all tried!!)managed to obtain the claimed 45.6mpg and know i never will, WHY... DPF DPF DPF!!! Makes it impossible!!!

Sorry,absolutely know way under any circumstances can better than claimed fuel consumption be obtained with my T180, I have never under any circumstances (all tried!!)managed to obtain the claimed 45.6mpg and know i never will, WHY... DPF DPF DPF!!! Makes it impossible!!!

The figures are not plucked out of the air, but as stated earlier, they figures are not based on "real life" driving either. The DPF isnt added later to make the figures look bettr than they should be, it is included in the test,

i definitely dont hang around and yes it is an effort getting 45-47mpg especially since 8 miles of my journey is roughly town driving or <40mph and its a 20mile journey.

If i reset the calculator on a run of A road / dual carriageway then i have seen around 52mpg. But introduce town and that falls to 45-47.

Hard to maintain but driving without trying its always about 42mpg and i'm happy with that.

Just remember if all you do is driving in towns at less than 40mph than i'm not surprised you only get in the 30's. Your constantly having to move heavy metal from minimal momentum. That takes a lot of fuel. Sure the DPF injects diesel and burns into the exhaust system and all diesels will HAVE to have this in 2009 when the new car emissions law kicks in.

You will find loads of stories of people getting poor fuel consumption in modern diesels. BMW are the best as they are quite clean and efficient but if you want MPG then you can always get an extremely smell dirty and loud ford which will give you 50+mpg all day long. VW are the same, esp. their older models.

T180. Friday afternoon school run and shopping trip to local town mostly on B roads. Maintaining legal road speeds and traffic flow conditions.

One of the best tips I can give is never use supermarket fuel. Use only Shell.

321168697.jpg

Only got my T180 yesterday. Have been having a bit of fun with it so at the minute im averaging 33-34mpg. However i am trained to advanced level at work and as such have a good understanding of applying the roadcraft system of driving. Driving to the system last night on my way home from work saw me returning 53.6mpg on average. when i got closer to home i decided to nail it and it was averaging 38mpg when i pulled up outside the house. If you constantly nail it or drive it as you would drive a petrol car then it will return low mpg. Driving a diesel is whole different driving style to driving petrol, you need to adapt your style to use the torque as opposed using the bhp, it will pay dividends with fuel consumption but is not as much fun. You have to compromise and find a balance you are happy with.

On the whole i am loving the T180, Dont mind paying that bit extra for fuel and as long as i get better consumption than what i was in my T-Spirit petrol then i am happy.

Mark

Only got my T180 yesterday. Have been having a bit of fun with it so at the minute im averaging 33-34mpg. However i am trained to advanced level at work and as such have a good understanding of applying the roadcraft system of driving. Driving to the system last night on my way home from work saw me returning 53.6mpg on average. when i got closer to home i decided to nail it and it was averaging 38mpg when i pulled up outside the house. If you constantly nail it or drive it as you would drive a petrol car then it will return low mpg. Driving a diesel is whole different driving style to driving petrol, you need to adapt your style to use the torque as opposed using the bhp, it will pay dividends with fuel consumption but is not as much fun. You have to compromise and find a balance you are happy with.

On the whole i am loving the T180, Dont mind paying that bit extra for fuel and as long as i get better consumption than what i was in my T-Spirit petrol then i am happy.

Mark

We should have the ''T180 +50 Club'' Offcourse that could be age or MPG. :D

Enjoy your new car. Bet it looks good dressed up in TTE.

I'll get my phone out at the end of my next trip too then.

To anyone doubting the MPG ability of the x180 theres some basic things you can do.

Safely; just pretend your car has no brakes - therefore, come off the accerator much earlier, judge your distance and speed.

Use the shift indicators for gear changes

Come off the accelerator on down slopes; normally you will still maintain the same speed.

The slightest squeeze on the accelerator is enough to inject enough fuel to keep a steady speed; therefore try easing off until you find the fall off point

Try not to stop in slow moving traffic - this means judge your position in traffic, keep a good distance and maintain a steady speed.

Boring as it may sound you'll see 50+ mpg driving like this.

But i will say, on cold starts that use more diesel injection to warm up OR significant town driving, especially town driving whilst warming up, it is impossible to get 50+mpg.

T180. Friday afternoon school run and shopping trip to local town mostly on B roads. Maintaining legal road speeds and traffic flow conditions.

One of the best tips I can give is never use supermarket fuel. Use only Shell.

321168697.jpg

I dont doubt it, over 32 miles and very lucky to avoid DPG regeneration cycles. If I drive as though a Wren's egg is on the throttle over a very short stint like this i could probably achieve similar, However the engine would probably never produce more than about 40HP and any another 40HP car would double that figure!

You try maintaing that for a full tankfull, IMPOSSIBLE. They can not do it, the DPF regeneration will be working O/T squirting your diesel into the exhaust!

Going on holiday next week to north of Scotland. Will set all trips to zero and see what we will achieve. Good test. M,A,B roads and a couple of cities. Picture to follow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links