Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 Bad Mpg - Am I The Only One

T180Sad

Ok, I have been out for the day with the family to Whitby. Before I left I reset the trip so i could see what my average MPG was for the journey to try and show that the MPG is not as bad as some people are trying make out.

I drove from my home (manchester airport area) to Whitby. Motorway speeds were not below 80mph (a lot of people are stating very very poor mpg at anything above 65 mph) I was not trying in any way to conserve fuel i just drove it for fun and was not bothered about what mpg i got.

Motorway speeds of around 80mph

A roads speeds upto 70mph 5th gear highest gear used, rev counter always in torque band, lots of braking for bends and gear changing to keep revs in torque band.

Basically i drove the car as it is meant to be driven - fast.

picture was taken as i came into whitby

2vim9lu.jpg

Am I supposed to be impressed with 41 MPG out of a car the size and weight of an Auris on a run like that, it highlights this engines problem, it should have achieved 50+ !!! My Avensis would have got at least 41 on the same run! Have we forgot that the claimed AVERAGE is 45.6 and more should be easy and not impossible to achieve?

Ever wondered why the T180 engined Auris only achieves 45.6 (if only!) EXACTLY the same as the Avensis Tourer, whats going on there than mr toyota????

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bry

• mbrennan29

• OldSkoO1

• GreyRacer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I supposed to be impressed with 41 MPG out of a car the size and weight of an Auris on a run like that, it highlights this engines problem, it should have achieved 50+ !!! My Avensis would have got at least 41 on the same run! Have we forgot that the claimed AVERAGE is 45.6 and more should be easy and not impossible to achieve?

Ever wondered why the T180 engined Auris only achieves 45.6 (if only!) EXACTLY the same as the Avensis Tourer, whats going on there than mr toyota????

Why would I post this to try and impress you???

I posted this to show that the T180 engine is not as poor as you are making it out to be. A 117 mile journey where the car is driven very hard for the entire journey yet still averages 41.8 mpg is extremely good in my opinion. Had I driven it sensibly then the average mpg would have been much higher, easily the quoted average if not higher.

You need to come back down to earth and not believe everything you read, just because Toyota claim it averages 45.6mpg does not mean it will do in the real world, this is because the figures are not obtained from real world driving when toyota test them. My 1.6 T-Spirit Auris which i had before i changed it for the T180 averaged 31mpg, toyota claimed its average was 39 on combined cycle, mine never averaged 39 in the 12 months i had it. If my old one averaged 31 and my t180 is averaging 41 (almost 42) when it is thrashed and easily above quoted mpg when i drive it normaly why should i not be impressed with it??

Have said it before and will say it again the quoted average is not impossible to achieve, i am going back to whitby in a few weeks, will drive it normally this time and post my average when i get their, i am confident i could easily achieve mid 50's as you suggest should be the minimum. At the end of the day if the T180 engine was to average 100 mpg you would still find something to complain about.

watch this space

If I drive the car in the most economical way i can get 63 mpg when I cruise at 52 mph in 6'th gear (one mile above the arrow for changing to lower gear lights)

PS

I ordered the Lexus IS220d Sport today, so my Auris is soon history for me.

I posted this to show that the T180 engine is not as poor as you are making it out to be. A 117 mile journey where the car is driven very hard for the entire journey yet still averages 41.8 mpg is extremely good in my opinion. Had I driven it sensibly then the average mpg would have been much higher, easily the quoted average if not higher.

You need to come back down to earth and not believe everything you read, just because Toyota claim it averages 45.6mpg does not mean it will do in the real world, this is because the figures are not obtained from real world driving when toyota test them. My 1.6 T-Spirit Auris which i had before i changed it for the T180 averaged 31mpg, toyota claimed its average was 39 on combined cycle, mine never averaged 39 in the 12 months i had it. If my old one averaged 31 and my t180 is averaging 41 (almost 42) when it is thrashed and easily above quoted mpg when i drive it normaly why should i not be impressed with it??

Have said it before and will say it again the quoted average is not impossible to achieve, i am going back to whitby in a few weeks, will drive it normally this time and post my average when i get their, i am confident i could easily achieve mid 50's as you suggest should be the minimum. At the end of the day if the T180 engine was to average 100 mpg you would still find something to complain about.

watch this space

Sick and tired of this, the fact is, no other car I have owned/used etc has ever failed to achieve at least and mostly better the claimed. This defective underperforming item doesn't, you just proved it, 5th gear proved it and got a lousy average of 32MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it is only slightly quicker than 130 VW and Fords but slower than 155 ST's etc, that makes it crap for me.

If my T180 averaged 45mpg, driving normally, I would be very happy with it, so don't be silly.

You can go on loving it, me and most others who don't like been ripped off will go on complaining!

watch this space

Sick and tired of this, the fact is, no other car I have owned/used etc has ever failed to achieve at least and mostly better the claimed. This defective underperforming item doesn't, you just proved it, 5th gear proved it and got a lousy average of 32MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it is only slightly quicker than 130 VW and Fords but slower than 155 ST's etc, that makes it crap for me.

If my T180 averaged 45mpg, driving normally, I would be very happy with it, so don't be silly.

You can go on loving it, me and most others who don't like been ripped off will go on complaining!

Good luck to you then.......... it must be something wrong with your car if you get manhandled by a 155st or you maybe drive it like a granny.

Why don't the guys getting the specified MPG swap cars with the guys not getting the MPG for a week and see if it is a car issue or a driving technique issue?

If your sick and tired then dont bother replying to the post!!!

I fail to see how i just proved that it is under performing and fails to achieve the claimed mpg,, if you bother to READ the post you will discover that over the 117 mile journey my driving style was not what you would call economical, i basically thrashed the balls off it, if you expect to get claimed mpg when doing that then you are expecting the impossible. What i HAVE proved is that it IS possible to achieve ONLY 4mpg LESS THAN CLAIMED when driving it at its limit. Therefore on the other hand proving that if i were to drive it with economy in mind then HIGHER than claimed would easily be achieved.

Did you ever stop to think that it may be YOU that has a defective engine, or YOUR driving style that is returning such poor mpg??

As someone else has already stated if you cant keep up with 155 ST's then there is something wrong. I have lots of experience driving a 2.2 mondeo 155 ST and it is nowhere near as quick as my T180.

Agreed 155 STs are easy meat for the Auris x180. Maybe the Avensis version is a bit slower, it is certainly quoted 0.5 sec slower to 62mph by Toyota and that gap is going to get wider at 70mph. I saw a report somewhere (autocar?) where the IS220D takes a ridiculous 30secs plus to hit 100mph, so maybe there is quite a variation in the performance of the 2.2 d-cat.

Agreed 155 STs are easy meat for the Auris x180. Maybe the Avensis version is a bit slower, it is certainly quoted 0.5 sec slower to 62mph by Toyota and that gap is going to get wider at 70mph. I saw a report somewhere (autocar?) where the IS220D takes a ridiculous 30secs plus to hit 100mph, so maybe there is quite a variation in the performance of the 2.2 d-cat.

Agreed,

if you get 2 identical engines and stick one in a small family hatchback and the other in a large estate it is simple physics that the smaller hatchback is going to perform better and be faster as first and foremost it is a hell of a lot lighter, the enigine does not have to work as hard.

Agreed,

if you get 2 identical engines and stick one in a small family hatchback and the other in a large estate it is simple physics that the smaller hatchback is going to perform better and be faster as first and foremost it is a hell of a lot lighter, the enigine does not have to work as hard.

Well today was another testament to the performance. I had an absolute idiot tailgating me for probably the very first time in over a year of ownership. In his stupid fat bloated trash of a car Crysler 300cc. You know those big fat cars which are the new look at me power cars. Usually driven by slightly overweight higher ranking sales men or company owners who can't afford the mercs... with sunglasses.

Anyway stereotyping over.

I stuck my foot down coming off a roundabout onto a dual carridgeway. Pulling away and maintaining a gap. He didnt gain and was still back on the gap i created. Bit disappointed as i thought it would be a slow car until i realised they all have a v6 engines doing 0-60 in 7.6.

I've said it before - i've had a bmw 335d struggle to get past me on the most ridiculous overtake i've seen coming off a merge lane. I had to slow down to let him in. d-cat isn't slow in the slightest between 20 and 70mph.

Agreed,

There is not that much difference between the two cars, only 55kg as the 5 door Auris x180 weighs in at 1450kg and the Avensis T180 weighs in at 1505kg. Maybe Bry's just got a duff 'un.

Agreed,

There is not that much difference between the two cars, only 55kg as the 5 door Auris x180 weighs in at 1450kg and the Avensis T180 weighs in at 1505kg. Maybe Bry's just got a duff 'un.

During my time with Honda (3yrs) i had at least 10 Diesel Accords, all had the same engine and did the same work 5000 miles a month with 80% Motorway 20% others. The difference between the best and worst cars was significant, fuel economy ranged from 40-48 and power/torque was markedly different between individual cars.

My car is a tool for work, i pay for it with my cash, If it doesn't do what it is supposed to, that means I have effectively got another stealth tax, I do not think of it as a toy like most on here, it is a tool and a !Removed! poor one at that!

No way will a T180 "see off" a ST 155, it can struggle to keep up at best, and no there is nothing wrong with mine, confirmed by Toyota, its as good as they get! even if one of you "GRANNY'S" drive it. Dream on! 130HP on the road

A 335 is in a totally different league, stop being silly! It is FASTER FASTER and even FASTER, and more economical!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hey its only got another 100HP.

My car is a tool for work, i pay for it with my cash, If it doesn't do what it is supposed to, that means I have effectively got another stealth tax, I do not think of it as a toy like most on here, it is a tool and a !Removed! poor one at that!

No way will a T180 "see off" a ST 155, it can struggle to keep up at best, and no there is nothing wrong with mine, confirmed by Toyota, its as good as they get! even if one of you "GRANNY'S" drive it. Dream on! 130HP on the road

A 335 is in a totally different league, stop being silly! It is FASTER FASTER and even FASTER, and more economical!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hey its only got another 100HP.

How old are you??

Sorry but you do not know what your talking about then if you say that.

I was trained in a 155 ST and have driven LOTS of them, NONE OF THEM touch my T180. SERIOUSLY!! If you claim yours can only struggle to keep up you have a problem despite what toyota say.

The 155 ST has the same amount of torque as the T180 400nm (295 lb ft) but it has got nowhere near as much bhp 152 as opposed to T180'S 177.

I know what i am talking about when the 155 ST is concerned and it isnt a problem for the T180 TO "see it off"

Sorry but you do not know what your talking about then if you say that.

I was trained in a 155 ST and have driven LOTS of them, NONE OF THEM touch my T180. SERIOUSLY!! If you claim yours can only struggle to keep up you have a problem despite what toyota say.

The 155 ST has the same amount of torque as the T180 400nm (295 lb ft) but it has got nowhere near as much bhp 152 as opposed to T180'S 177.

I know what i am talking about when the 155 ST is concerned and it isnt a problem for the T180 TO "see it off"

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add my tuppence worth.

I have had my Auris T180 since May and have now covered over 7000 miles, mostly commuting to and from my work covering 70 miles per day on dual carriageway plus another 20 miles in the city.

I can honestly say that the best MPG I have achieved so far is 43MPG.

When not concentrating on economy it tends to return between 40 and 42 MPG.

If I am honest I am a little disappointed with this but also am very happy with the level of performance of the car. But the one thing i have noticed is when you apply even slight pressure to the loud pedal the MPG plummets to the teens. Thats without flooring it!

Maybe it is a fault? Is there any adjustments that can be made to give better economy. I would actually sacrifice a bit of the cut and thrust of the car for a slightly higher return in MPG.

Some of you lads getting consistently high 40's and even into the 50's, if you have any tips or hints as to how to get more out the tank I would gladly try them. Maybe my driving style is the problem?!

And before you start saying I drive like a granny / am old!!! etc I would like to say I am a 24 yr old who loves his cars but sees them as a combination of tools and toys! I want my car to cruise me back and fore to my work in effortless safety and comfort but then make me grin like an idiot when thrashing it round a B-road!

Except for the slight gripe about economy, the Auris is ideal!

But the one thing i have noticed is when you apply even slight pressure to the loud pedal the MPG plummets to the teens. Thats without flooring it!

Maybe it is a fault? Is there any adjustments that can be made to give better economy.

Accelerating real slowly is very uneconomical. You need to move up the gears quickly and with good pace and then maintain the same speed. It is down to technique and it is completely wrong to say that all economy drivers drive like grannies because my wife drives so much slower than I do and ends up bringing down my average even after I floor it. The difference is I shift through the gears quickly, maintain a steady speed and never use the brake pedal.

I have not got a T180 but I am sure I can get over 42MPG if I can get over 52mpg in the 2.0.

But the one thing i have noticed is when you apply even slight pressure to the loud pedal the MPG plummets to the teens. Thats without flooring it!

Maybe it is a fault? Is there any adjustments that can be made to give better economy.

Accelerating real slowly is very uneconomical. You need to move up the gears quickly and with good pace and then maintain the same speed. It is down to technique and it is completely wrong to say that all economy drivers drive like grannies because my wife drives so much slower than I do and ends up bringing down my average even after I floor it. The difference is I shift through the gears quickly, maintain a steady speed and never use the brake pedal.

I have not got a T180 but I am sure I can get over 42MPG if I can get over 52mpg in the 2.0.

Exactly right

Accelerating slowly uses more fuel as you are lugging a big heavy weight for longer.

Use the torque between 2 and 2.6krpm where the engine is working most efficiently, keep your gear changes in this band, get up to speed quickly and then let the car maintain a steady speed.

If you want ultimate fuel consumption like 50mpg average in a t180, feather the throttle to maintain a steady speed. I.e. use momentum and only blip the throttle to keep a steady speed, come off the throttle as much as possible - but unless this is natural its tedious to learn.

Also another tip, when going uphill don't come off the accelerator, keep on steady and make sure its in that engine efficiency band too.

Also keep aware of the road ahead and your distance v speed. Try not to use the brake and that will make you come off the fast pedal A LOT earlier saving fuel.

Use good fuel and you'll get good mpg.

also some more tips

don't race the engine until warm!

don't labour the engine until warm!

combined, you shouldn't be running at more than 3k rpm, you shouldn't be pushing your foot to the floor and you shouldn't be plodding at anything less than 1.4krpm ESPECIALLY uphill, this is magnified in the winter months.

Always let the engine idle after a journey especially if above 50mph. If you stop straight after >50mph speeds then its 1minute. If you live in a hilly area then up to 2mins if >50mph and it you have only been town driving just 5 or 10secs when you get your stuff together.

Ref Johan007 & OldSko01,

Excellent tips and advice given there i look forward to trying them out. It sounds like my biggest problem is not letting momentum carry the car forward seems to be i'm trying to drive it all the time. Also it would seem i'm not keeping the revs high enough. I tend to find cruising speed at around 2000rpm.

Anyway i will try out the advice and see if it makes a difference to the consumption. I'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers.

Switch the car off if your queuing for any length of time, i am always amazed by the number of people who sit with engine idling away for ages, obviously burning fuel.

T180. Friday afternoon school run and shopping trip to local town mostly on B roads. Maintaining legal road speeds and traffic flow conditions.

One of the best tips I can give is never use supermarket fuel. Use only Shell.

321168697.jpg

Guys,

Lets not forget why we bought the T180 versions. We wanted, nay lusted, after that 177bhp engine (aka 180 when in pub conversations). Gawd I've had so much fun - a real little Q car. Drive it like Miss Daisy and in excess of 40 mpg is easily obtainable BUT we all aint Miss Daisies! I'm currently getting 31 mpg average BUT this includes towing a trailer, caravan and jetski (not all at once LOL)

Thoroughly agree concerning supermarket fuel its crap but in the old days made sense. These days with just a penny or two difference dont bother. Going over to petrol defo agree with using Shell V power. Ski hits restricted 70mph in no time at all but being a poor old pensioner once the supercharger comes on boost 10 gallons goes in an hour or less. Perhaps its time to take up a pipe and slippers and get a Prius :rolleyes:

Safe and economical motoring

J

All Diesel is the same. If you have to to to such pathetic extreme measures to achieve LESS than claimed mpg you have bought a pup!

Quick update.

Over the motorway leg of my morning commute average consumption was 46.5MPG. Thats the best i've achieved yet!

It tailed off to about 44.5 after getting through the city but that was my own stupid fault for not getting up earlier to beat the traffic!

Theres still room for improvement with my driving style and how i use the diesel engine but if things continue to improve then my liking for an already very good car is only going to get better.

Bry,

Please change the record. You don't like the Auris OK, but I dont think you are going to change the minds of everybody on this forum by constantly slagging the car based on your opinions. It would seem the majority of people are happy with their Auris' as am I.

So please, if you dislike the car this much SELL IT!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links