Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Purchased: 2.0 D-4d Tuning Box Chip

Johan007

I am not going to mention the companies name nor have I plugged it in yet until I have done my research on this black art and all I know is that it is not that cheap. How does it look to you all: (Photo taken from the website) toyota-chip.jpg

Now that I have purchased it I am having second thoughts as I am worried that even though I believe the torque gain is safe, certain parts of the engine will not like the added stress if some one starts to use the horse power found at higher revs. However not being an expert I had figured Toyota have deliberately toned down the horse power for emissions as it certainly does not feel as fast as the equivalent Ford at revs.

I am not going to mention the companies name nor have I plugged it in yet until I have done my research on this black art and all I know is that it is not that cheap. How does it look to you all: (Photo taken from the website) toyota-chip.jpg

Now that I have purchased it I am having second thoughts as I am worried that even though I believe the torque gain is safe, certain parts of the engine will not like the added stress if some one starts to use the horse power found at higher revs. However not being an expert I had figured Toyota have deliberately toned down the horse power for emissions as it certainly does not feel as fast as the equivalent Ford at revs.

not going to mention companies name even though there is a website address on the connector in the shot? :D

doh! as long as it is in an image the name will unlikely appear in a Google search so you can be honest without them finding out... if anyone has had any experience with there kit please share.

I put one of these on a Mondeo TDCi 130 I used to have - WOW!!! it was fantastic.

What a difference it made - much more pull from the engine with minimal affect on economy.

However, after around 2000 miles, I noticed the car started smoking more frequently. I took the box off and after a few miles things went back to normal.

These boxes change the fuel/air map signal from the ECU - a bit crude but certainly effective!

I think the best ones are the "writable" ones which are tuned to your car for best mix of performance, economy and minimal smoke. Most of them are generic and have a premapped load installed ( as did mine) - Im not sure this is ideal, as no two engines are identical.

Personally, I wont fit one to my Auris (although Im tempted!) - I want to keep the car for a long time and these things increase the stress on the engine - more importantly, they have been known to cause injector failure due to increased fuel pressure in the common rail.

In summary, I would give it a go, but just keep an eye out for ECU error codes and additional smoke. If its adjustable, set the boost at 30% and SLOWLY increase until smoke is seen at full throttle - then turn back to the last good setting and that should be OK!

Hope this helps!

I dont want to sound negative - these things make a hell of a difference, but can void your warranty and shorten engine / fuel system life.

Just be careful!

Regards

andy :eek:

doh! as long as it is in an image the name will unlikely appear in a Google search so you can be honest without them finding out... if anyone has had any experience with there kit please share.

If its adjustable, set the boost at 30% and SLOWLY increase until smoke is seen at full throttle - then turn back to the last good setting and that should be OK!
I think power is adjustable to only 25% as I purposely did not go for the much more expensive 30%+ companies as I guess the fail rate is high. If I can I will only be setting it to 20%. I may also wait for the final service, I know Kingo here is selling Toyota backed ones or something like that.

Mine are not Toyota ones. They come from a company in Germany. Ours are pre mapped and set to a minimum of 20% power increase, you can get a lot more out of them, but they start to black smoke over about 25% and it is not worth it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kingo I am sure the 20% power is absolute max for the T180 because it is giving allot of power for 0.2 extra capacity and new style injectors, but 2.0-litre D-4D we already know the same engine can do 10bhp more in Verso than the Auris so I think this engine has slightly more % to give :) So I am confident enough to plug it in over the weekend and will post back how I find it.

Kingo I am sure the 20% power is absolute max for the T180 because it is giving allot of power for 0.2 extra capacity and new style injectors, but 2.0-litre D-4D we already know the same engine can do 10bhp more in Verso than the Auris so I think this engine has slightly more % to give :) So I am confident enough to plug it in over the weekend and will post back how I find it.

hope it goes well

looking forward to hearing your feedback

Xana, I will plug it in next weekend because I am still recording and feeling various settings of the default car such as fuel consumption, acceleration, rpm at idle cold, rpm at idle warm etc...

I am also waiting for delivery of high temperature Velcro so the unit can be attached to the cool side of the Battery and easily removed. I also need to open the tuning box up and reduce the power from 25% to 20% via a switch inside the box (R&D by more reputable tuning companies seem to suggest 20% is best).

I have also gone and contact 25% tunned 2.0 D-4D owners to see how they have got on and so far 100% positive.

That powerbox will do exactly what?

-Increase fueling into the chambers?

-Increase pressure of the common rail system?

... ?

Have you ever thought on doing a ECU repro?

Yes increase the fueling into the chambers but only when the accelerator is pressed and not at idle etc...

No ECU remap 'cos I want to be able to remove the modification easily should it start going wrong or I need to sell the car.

• 3 weeks later...

hy there.

i want to "update" my engine (2.0 l d-4d 126 Hp and 300NM).what kind of modification you recommend me?i found some powerboxes for this engine but i'm not decided which one is better for the engine:i found at steinbauer company,reinert,kitpower.i put the sites with the powerbox.maybe you have anoher suggestion for me?another question:it is good conical air filter for this engine(or for diesel engine)?i installed a kit from K&N on my engine.it's good or not for the engine this kind of air intake system?

http://www.reinert-tuning.de/chiptuning-so...KW-126-PS-23031

http://www.maxpower.cz/index.php?chiptuning=43/model-o/4074

http://www.kitpower.eu/index.asp?rub=zoom&...mp;modele=Auris

i mention that the sensors of the last powerbox is adapted for each injectors(and they offer warranty for the engine).also the steinbauer has the same,but they obtain less power and force.

do you recommend me another options for tuning my engine?

Hi shtou

Increasing the air does not do much. Double exhaust have reports of slight increase.

The only tuning box I know that works is from Kingo here in the forum however I can't quite justifying paying that much in my current situation.

The Best advice I can give you is not to race anyone 0-40 but 40-80 is where our motor seems to be quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

With the current price of diesel I would be interested in a chip that increased economy in my D4D rather than one that increased performance.

They both do the same thing. You will have to pay higher insurance.

By the way, double exhaust might give you a slight performance increase however the weight of the exhaust kit probably going to neutralize it... Or even decrease your performance so check out their weights first.

By the way, double exhaust might give you a slight performance increase however the weight of the exhaust kit probably going to neutralize it... Or even decrease your performance so check out their weights first.

With some decent chip tuning ( For instance the turbo pressure is higher after tuning) it's necessary to have the double TMS exhaust system for the high rpm's. See a earlier posting of me having problems with a high pitchtone (too high pressure) out of the rearmuffler while > 3.5k rpm's. Some Dyno runs revealed that with the double system the powerband kept growing till 4.2k rpms. the single system powerband died at 3.5k rpms.

But in a standard configuration, I'll agree that the double system doesn't bring anything extra.

Greetz,

With some decent chip tuning
One should just trade it in for a second hand T180 with similar millage for the money.