Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ts Lift

pkny247

Hi

I recently bought a pre-face lift TS and want to know what does "Lift" feels like?

I have pushed the car to the "Lift" zone and I can feel that extra power and speed but the process is v smooth.

is it meant to be like this?

Cheers

Lift is a feature of the VVTLi engine fitted to the Corolla and Celica T-Sports.

You should notice the engine note change and the power increase when the engine changes over to its high lift cam.

make sure the engine is warm before you try raising the revs othewise lift doesnt work. you should be able to feel the power band kick in after 6k rpm

Hi

I recently bought a pre-face lift TS and want to know what does "Lift" feels like?

I have pushed the car to the "Lift" zone and I can feel that extra power and speed but the process is v smooth.

Cheers

it is smooth in engagement compared to the type r - turn the trc off!

Do you guys drive with TSC off?

I have never driven another TS so i cant compare the feeling...

also cos i bought it second hand and read a lot of the broken lift bolt.. i m a bit scared..!

Do you guys drive with TSC off?

I have never driven another TS so i cant compare the feeling...

also cos i bought it second hand and read a lot of the broken lift bolt.. i m a bit scared..!

i had some cocerns over lift bolts. if you search the forum there is a spanish guy (i think) who shows a comparision between the bolts he's removed and the new one's. mine where the old lift bolts - old ones had a gold colour coating on them - so i changed um at 40k and tbh there wasnt really any wear. if you are concerned over lift bolts they only cost £2 and a fiver for a new rocker gasket (optional) and it took me 30 mins to do.

In first and second gear it gives a real kick when you reach 6k rpm.

If yours is just smooth acceleration that's sounds a bit iffy to me (unless you've got a Compressor! :lol: )

Just make sure that your car's warmed up first and then nail it through the first few gears, you should notice a definate surge!

:thumbsup:

I read on a web page recently that the 'lift' mechanism will only work once the water temp is at 60c. But where on the guage would the needle show 60c? Quarter of the way up? Half way?

I read on a web page recently that the 'lift' mechanism will only work once the water temp is at 60c. But where on the guage would the needle show 60c? Quarter of the way up? Half way?

I think everyone here will agree with Half Way...

Is it really eay to change the bolt?

wht happens if the bolt breaks?

if it is broken, would you notice it under 6krpm?

A big kick would probably be an exaggeration.

If you look at the power curve for a 1.8 VVTLi engine you'll see that it's just starting to tail off at the point that the lift engages. The curve then starts to climb again almost all the way up to the red line. Because there's no lag, it's not perhaps as violent as a turbo kicking in.

But, it should be quite noticeable, like the car suddenly has a new lease of life. Without lift, the car will be very wheezy over the 6K mark. Mine (on my old 190 Celica) packed in due to a sensor problem years back and it was very noticeable to me, but convincing Toyota that there was a problem wasn't that easy.

The best way to be sure yours is OK is to drive a newish car - perhaps arrange a test drive on another car, or find someone nearby who has a known working one.

Oh and remember to turn the A/C off ;)

Kept forgetting to do this when I bought mine the other year and it really has an impact on performance imo, was the same in my fiesta Zs, took it down to like 89bhp :angry:

But yea you really do feel it kick, I recently changed the old tryes (bridgestones and Primacy pilots) to Toyo Proxes T1r all round so stop the wheels spinning in 1st in the dry and in 2nd gear in the wet. They really help by the way and I dont know who said they were rubbish in the wet, because they do stick well.

Also if you wanna get a good feeling for the lift, engage it in a tunnel and hear the change in the engine note and exhaust with the windows down. Its scares the living crap out of everyone around you :)

Hi

Cheers

am i right in saying you have a corolla tsport instead of a yaris tsport as saying on your avatar below your name ? if u have a yaris ts they dont have lift excuse me if im being thick or you havent changed your avatar lol.

i can say my cts gives me a big kick when i hit lift especially in 1st and 2nd, i wouldnt have baught it if it was a gentle smooth process it certainly pushes you back into the seat, think they must be something wrong with yours hopefully i may be wrong.

im sure someone on here had a pre facelift and changed their lift bolts and could certainly feel a difference.

anyone whos got a typhoon fitted it may just be me but i love it when in 3rd gear and the revs are pushing towards 6000rpm , you can hear the typhoon ssssss'n sucking air in then you hit lift and it seems to last sooo long :D:D:D never fails to put a smile on my face.

Is it really eay to change the bolt?

wht happens if the bolt breaks?

if it is broken, would you notice it under 6krpm?

lift wouldnt engage! ye - really easy to change, in fact one of the easiest job i've done on a car. i

Well.... to be honest i havent REALLY pushed the car fully yet...

the last time i went above 6krpm was a few days back in third.

i shall try it tonight from 1st gear!

borodaz - I have recently upgraded myself from Yaris TS to CTS!

(gave the car to parents!)

The kick is not quite as profound in 3rd, you will definitely experience the joys in 1st and 2nd and you won't be able to help yourself after that.

enjoy :thumbsup:

The kick is not quite as profound in 3rd, you will definitely experience the joys in 1st and 2nd and you won't be able to help yourself after that.

enjoy :thumbsup:

get a typhoon and you will feel a big change in lift in 3rd gear.

also my lift engages before half way but i usualy wait till half way.

LIFT LIFT LIFT.. I just want MORE!

Thnks for all of you advice on the lift issue.

Once the TS hits 6.8k its a totally different car.

The one thing that i did notice was that the lift disappears after you change gear.

is it true for everyone? is there a way to get a lift? or lower the lift range?

Keeping in 'Lift' between 1st & 2nd is difficult but after that you should be able to keep in the zone with no problems.

It is possible to alter the point at which Lift engages Camcon do a controller specifically for VVTL-i

:thumbsup:

Don't know of anyone in this country that stocks it i'm afraid.

Info here Clicky

I dont find the lift too extreme, but at the end of the day its not a very fast car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links