Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blob Watch....

Boss Hogg

I have just filled up (£47.00 Ouch) but my average is 66.9 mpg, I also got my first road tax request £ 35.00

£47 !! - think you need to find a cheaper filling station, you must be paying around £1.34 per litre, I filled up today at £1.13 per litre

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boss Hogg

• PaulGP

• zakelwe

• Boro Sera

Raistlin is your car a diesel at that MPG and the fuel cost it must be :huh: unless you drive all your miles down hill :D

I've just filled up the car today myself from 400miles (last blob standing) and could only squeeze in £37 quid :eek:

Just seen BP Ultimate unleaded @ £1.449 pence per litre........................anyone still using it?

Unleaded bad enough @ £1.199 ppl, Local Shell garages and Asda now all sold out.............

:( :(

Just filled up my petrol Aygo after 450 miles (still with 2 blobs visible) and got 72 mpg! (commuting Chester to Liverpool, plus a motorway run to Gloucester and back). Previous run was 68 mpg. One before that was about 66 mpg.

I'm very impressed with the economy, but I seem to be getting better figures than lots of you here... am a bit confused.

My calculations: always fill to first-click-of-petrol-pump, mpg = miles/(litres*0.22) - I'm not making a glaring mistake am I?

Filled up after 113 miles and managed a whopping 62 mpg! First time into the 60's. Way to go......

Looking forward to a really long run I have coming up. Off from our country roads and onto some motorway on my own, rather than laden.

I changed my car from a 2 litre to the Aygo in March and, alongside that and cutting back on vehicle use a bit as everyone is, I am actually paying out half per month of what I was for fuel three months ago. Oh, the irony!

I filled up yesterday after 273 miles (2 blobs left) , put in around 30litres in @£1.16 per litre :( (cant be too sure , had to stop after a few cos the pump stopped working and had to start again ) .. i make it 41.3mpg :( Am i doing something wrong or is it that the majority of my miles were done around town ?

Going to try and improve this time around :)

Blob watch has turned into Blob wars ;)With mine the time for that first blob to go seems like ages, and after that everything seems to drop so much quicker..sure its just pyschological but it's scary lol

The first blob does take the longest do disappear - it's to do with the shape of the petrol tank.

Picked my aygo up on Friday and traveled 180miles for it so gave it a straight run home and found first blob was 92 and second 185. Worked out to be about 73 mpg when I filled up. For my urban driving this weekend the first blob went at 81.

With this little car and it's little engine I think it is all down to the type of driving and how you drive. If you are happy to go slow and get to that slow speed slowly I think a massive difference can be seen. What speeds do people change up at? My economy change points are

To 2nd = 10mph

To 3rd = 20mph

To 4th = 30mph

To 5th = 40mph

which is easy to remember. That's all on flat ground, otherwise if it is uphill I have to add a few mph.

Max torque is about

2nd = 35mph

3rd = 50mph

4th = 65mph

5th = 80mph

which shows how long the gearing is and why 3rd is the best gear for most out of town overtaking. If you are on the motorway in 5th at 55mph trying to keep your blobs going you are well under peak torque and it is no wonder it often struggles up the hills and requires a downshift to 4th.

Regards

Andy

With this little car and it's little engine I think it is all down to the type of driving and how you drive. If you are happy to go slow and get to that slow speed slowly I think a massive difference can be seen. What speeds do people change up at? My economy change points are

To 2nd = 10mph

To 3rd = 20mph

To 4th = 30mph

To 5th = 40mph

which is easy to remember. That's all on flat ground, otherwise if it is uphill I have to add a few mph.

This is how i was taught to drive and have stuck with it ... :)

Slightly off topic, has anyone had any experience with octain boosters or fuel additives to increase there MPG? Has anyone got any views on them? I hear mixed reviews about them which make me curious.

Anyone else had a sudden change in fuel figures ?

I just clocked 17k having bought from new. Almost overnight blob 1 is lasting 130, blob two goes out at 220 and my tank lasts me 440miles !!! I always estimated a blob lasts about 60-70miles, except the first one, but not anymore .......oh and mine is petrol, just in case anyone was wondering. I can't afford diesel round here - far too expensive.

Not exactly a Blob watch - I keep forgetting to check the numbers ....

On my on first tank of fuel I managed 338 miles so when I filled up today it worked out at 49.5 miles to the gallon (Blue Slate MMT). I didn't think that too bad but it needs to loosen up a bit and I need to learn to keep my foot off the floorboards! :yes:

Not a proper test because I put the petrol in in the middle of a bar and it didnt completely fill a bar but i put in 17 quids worth at 114.9, currently sone 150 on it i expect to squeeze another 50 out of that so my engine is getting nicely broken in! :D

Completed my first blue slate run with a full tank

Blob 1 - 107

Blob 2 - 192

Blob 3 - 250

Blob 4 - 339

Filled up at 393 putting in 31 litres

90% of the miles are motorway, works out at 57.4mpg

I am up to 440 on this tank and on the last blob (Not actually the last one cos it doesn't stop flashing, but the one before if you know what I mean)

No motorway, all urban and A roads.

• 1 month later...

I decided to go an eco-drive to find out my blob consumption...

My first blob disappeared at 130.8 miles one day - then the next day i was running late for work which called for a bit more exhuberant pace! which rendered the whole thing useless!! LoL

There's a petrol station my way that sells BP Ultimate 102 - but at £2.42 a litre i'm still in two minds whether to go for it or if it will melt my engine! LoL

I decided to go an eco-drive to find out my blob consumption...

My first blob disappeared at 130.8 miles one day - then the next day i was running late for work which called for a bit more exhuberant pace! which rendered the whole thing useless!! LoL

There's a petrol station my way that sells BP Ultimate 102 - but at £2.42 a litre i'm still in two minds whether to go for it or if it will melt my engine! LoL

So....... if 1 Litre = £2.42

And ......an Aygo takes 35 litres to fill up (about)

Thats.....35 x £2.42 = £84.70

Which.....would make a pint cost £1.38 (1litre = 1.75 pints, 35 litres = 61.25 pints)

So there you go, pint for pint an Aygo is still cheaper than a night out.........Sort of!!

Oh and I've still been keeping a check on the old blobs. The results seem to be fairly static... 1st blob around 108 and a full tank gone at about 375 ish.

To 2nd = 10mph

To 3rd = 20mph

To 4th = 30mph

To 5th = 40mph

I don't drive ours often, but 4th at 30mph is a definate no-no. It labours the engine and in hilly Yorkshire changes to third are often required anyway. 3rd at 30 offers much more flexibility to cope with the hills as down changes are very rarely required. Once a 40 limit is reached then I use 4th. Car still gets 400 miles from full to last blob warning!

To 2nd = 10mph

To 3rd = 20mph

To 4th = 30mph

To 5th = 40mph

I don't drive ours often, but 4th at 30mph is a definate no-no. It labours the engine and in hilly Yorkshire changes to third are often required anyway.

It only labours the engine if you then stick your foot down at 30 or you are in hilly Yorkshire! On flat roads and not accelerating hard all you are really doing is almost freewheeling if you do not plonk your foot on the gas and ask the engine to do something it is not meant to. 1700rpm in 4th with no load is the same as 2nd at 1700 with no load when you are crawling along in a traffic jam.

After a switch to Mobil 1 which is a lot less sticky and with more miles on the clock I am now down to 25mph into 4th. :yes:

I did 100 000 miles in a 1 litre Yaris with the same technique so I think your no no is definitely a yes yes. The Yaris eventually got written off by a van but up to that point it still did not use any oil.

Regards

Andy

I've been doing this a while now and my mpg gets better and better ... my last was 42 .. not great but my best ... on this tank , my 1st blob dispeared at 120miles , which is a personal best ... not sure if it's to do with the fact i'm now driving to work which means more A roads (granted they're 40-50 ones but hey ) but i'm hoping to have the nerve to take it as low as i can . Now most places around here are 1.13-1.15 (with news that supermarkets will drop again ) per litre , i'm more than happy to fill up

I love my Aygo hehe

It only labours the engine if you then stick your foot down at 30 or you are in hilly Yorkshire! On flat roads and not accelerating hard all you are really doing is almost freewheeling if you do not plonk your foot on the gas and ask the engine to do something it is not meant to. 1700rpm in 4th with no load is the same as 2nd at 1700 with no load when you are crawling along in a traffic jam.

After a switch to Mobil 1 which is a lot less sticky and with more miles on the clock I am now down to 25mph into 4th. :yes:

I did 100 000 miles in a 1 litre Yaris with the same technique so I think your no no is definitely a yes yes. The Yaris eventually got written off by a van but up to that point it still did not use any oil.

I worry about the Aygo engine at low revs, so I always change up at 20, 30, 40 and 50mph. Don't know whether this is really necessary, but I'm still getting 55-60mpg unless stuck in traffic.

The Aygo gearbox is a lot longer than the original Yaris one. My 1l Yaris got into 5th at 30mph easily, which meant it was not too good for economy at 70.

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links