Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Get Friends And Family Discount Or Go With The Dealer?

Jonaldo

Well the time has come and i'm looking at getting a new car and have settled on the Auris SR180. I'm after some advice from all you experienced Auris owners out there.

I have two options:

1) My brother in law works for Toyota down at Burnaston and can get me friends and family discount for one. (Pros - Good discount, Cons - No part ex, less haggling opportunities)

2) Go to a dealer and see what they an do for me. (Pros - Part Ex, more haggling opportunities, Cons - Discount may not be as much)

The price i can get an SR180 for, through my brother in law, with the tech pack and a few other little options is around £16,110.

All sounding good but i was looking at putting mine in part ex (only a 52 plate Nissan Almera but every little helps) to help with the deposit. Going this way i'll have to look at selling mine either to a dealer or privately as i would be buying it from Toyota direct. ie the amount i would get would be less

The advantages i would have with going to a dealer would be able to put mine in part ex and negotiating a price and maybe bargaining over any options etc and getting the price as low as i can.

I'm probably going to go along the PCP route though i am also looking at getting a bank loan and then buying it outright. (I change my mind daily on this one!)

What are people's opinions? Would i even come close to to that price at a dealer or is it worth me going via the brother in law?

If anyone has any experience of buying a car direct from Toyota let me know how it went, is there still any room for getting it a little bit cheaper?

Any advice/suggestions would be really appreciated and would put my mind at rest once and for all.

Well the time has come and i'm looking at getting a new car and have settled on the Auris SR180. I'm after some advice from all you experienced Auris owners out there.

I have two options:

1) My brother in law works for Toyota down at Burnaston and can get me friends and family discount for one. (Pros - Good discount, Cons - No part ex, less haggling opportunities)

2) Go to a dealer and see what they an do for me. (Pros - Part Ex, more haggling opportunities, Cons - Discount may not be as much)

The price i can get an SR180 for, through my brother in law, with the tech pack and a few other little options is around £16,110.

All sounding good but i was looking at putting mine in part ex (only a 52 plate Nissan Almera but every little helps) to help with the deposit. Going this way i'll have to look at selling mine either to a dealer or privately as i would be buying it from Toyota direct. ie the amount i would get would be less

The advantages i would have with going to a dealer would be able to put mine in part ex and negotiating a price and maybe bargaining over any options etc and getting the price as low as i can.

I'm probably going to go along the PCP route though i am also looking at getting a bank loan and then buying it outright. (I change my mind daily on this one!)

What are people's opinions? Would i even come close to to that price at a dealer or is it worth me going via the brother in law?

If anyone has any experience of buying a car direct from Toyota let me know how it went, is there still any room for getting it a little bit cheaper?

Any advice/suggestions would be really appreciated and would put my mind at rest once and for all.

PS Parts-King, you seem like the main man on here, what do you reckon? Would it be worth the drive from here in St Helens to come and see you guys down at Lindop Brothers?!

It is only going to cost you a few quid to come here and see what we can do, I would make an appointment with one of our guys (call Peter Wright, sales manager 01244 821031) and tell him the score and see what can be done for you. If you do go via the staff scheme, there is no chance of haggling, the price is the price, and like you say, they dont do P/Ex. Do your homework, get an exact price on the staff scheme and compare it to what we offer. You have to way up all the options, P/Ex, 0%, PCP etc etc. No two deals are ever the same, you have to find the right deal for you, remember, the staff deals are very rigid, including how the car is handed back, they have to be in pristine condition, ANY bump or scratch WILL be charged back to you.

Kingo :thumbsup:

It is only going to cost you a few quid to come here and see what we can do, I would make an appointment with one of our guys (call Peter Wright, sales manager 01244 821031) and tell him the score and see what can be done for you. If you do go via the staff scheme, there is no chance of haggling, the price is the price, and like you say, they dont do P/Ex. Do your homework, get an exact price on the staff scheme and compare it to what we offer. You have to way up all the options, P/Ex, 0%, PCP etc etc. No two deals are ever the same, you have to find the right deal for you, remember, the staff deals are very rigid, including how the car is handed back, they have to be in pristine condition, ANY bump or scratch WILL be charged back to you.

Yeah i agree, i don't see the harm of saying to a dealer, here's what i can get one for, can you get close to it or get some discounts in other areas if not the main price (options, service deals etc) Will i get different offers in finance deals between dealer and toyota direct or is it a set standard?

I've tried phoning the above number but it keeps coming back with 'the caller has hung up' Will keep trying incase it's just busy etc Cheers for all your advice.

Oh one last question, i'm looking at getting the following options with the SR180: Cargo nets, parcel shelf storage box and boot liner. Any idea on prices for these? (gives me a better idea on final price) I've tried phoning some dealers but they need a car reg or chassis number.

I've tried phoning the above number but it keeps coming back with 'the caller has hung up' Will keep trying incase it's just busy etc Cheers for all your advice.

SORRY, I have just remembered. There are some upgrades going on to our phone/phone lines today. Please try after 2.00pm it should all be completed by then. We are having a phone ugrade and BT are doing the lines at the same time

Try to establish a trade price for your car( ie the price a Toyota dealer would sell your car to the trade for )

Take the price of the new car from your brother in law and deduct the trade in trade price from the new car cost !! that will be your cost to change !! with the cost to change price go to lindop or other Toyota dealer and see if they can match the cost to change price .

It is unlikely a Toyota dealer would sell a Nissan on his forecourt so basically that is what they would do sell it through the trade .

I am sure if you give Parts king Lindop a chance to quote they may come up with the right price but take your time to get the right deal

Try to establish a trade price for your car( ie the price a Toyota dealer would sell your car to the trade for )

Take the price of the new car from your brother in law and deduct the trade in trade price from the new car cost !! that will be your cost to change !! with the cost to change price go to lindop or other Toyota dealer and see if they can match the cost to change price .

It is unlikely a Toyota dealer would sell a Nissan on his forecourt so basically that is what they would do sell it through the trade .

I am sure if you give Parts king Lindop a chance to quote they may come up with the right price but take your time to get the right deal

Thanks for the reply. I think i get what you are saying, so if it's say £2500 trade price for mine, i deduct that from the cost of the car i can get from my brother in law ie £15,595 (no options) - £2500 which would give me my cost to change price (Around £13,095) If this is correct it gives me a ball park figure to work with anyway. (if i'm wrong please correct me)

Finding a value for mine is quite difficult though, there's such a variation from website to website.

I aint sure if any dealer will match it but i'm sure there are discounts to be had elsewhere to bring the overall price nearer to it.

Thanks for the reply. I think i get what you are saying, so if it's say £2500 trade price for mine, i deduct that from the cost of the car i can get from my brother in law ie £15,595 (no options) - £2500 which would give me my cost to change price (Around £13,095) If this is correct it gives me a ball park figure to work with anyway. (if i'm wrong please correct me)

Finding a value for mine is quite difficult though, there's such a variation from website to website.

I aint sure if any dealer will match it but i'm sure there are discounts to be had elsewhere to bring the overall price nearer to it.

Yes that is correct !!

How to establish a trade price takes a little work to begin with contact a few dealers and ask them if they will match the £ 15,595 no options price tell them you have got no trade in!!! some dealers will be reluctant to discuss the price over the phone and will try to get you to call in at the dealers but be persistent.( do not be concerned if the dealer says he will phone you back he will probably have to speak to his sales manager ) I usually try to be put straight through to the sales manager

After a few phone calls you will get the idea if any dealer can get near that price !! tell them you have been looking at broker prices as well.

When you have establish the lowest price tell them you will probably part exchange your car in and what price they will give you for it .

The price they will offer you is the price the car would make at an auction or the price an independent used car dealer will pay them for it .

Most franchise dealers have contacts within the trade were they move there surplus trade ins to.

You can also get an idea of auction prices by looking at the Honest John web site (the Telegraph ).

also have a look in auto trader .

Perhaps Parts king now knows what price you expect to pay for your car and if he can come up with a sensible trade price maybe you can do a deal

And by the way if you choose some options you should get some discount on them too

Many thanks for all your advice and help bjw, it really is appreciated, Keep it coming!!! :thumbsup:

Took a look at the review, it's the one i'm going to go for.

I'm definitely going to phone round and see what the dealers can give, though going by a lot of people's reviews, those lindop boys seem to be well worth a shout.

I phoned up the dealer in Stockport (only as it's just down the road from work) and they said they couldn't quite match it but would go 'a long way to getting it close to that price'. You were right though, they wanted me to pop into the branch to chat and see what they can do.

I'm looking at getting some options as well such as the tech pack, cargo nets, parcel storage shelf and boot liner so i'm sure there is something to be done/made on them especially if they can't quite match the price. Couple that with my part-ex, a servicing deal thrown in and a cracking finance/PCP deal and the temptation may well be too much!! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink Parts king! ha ha)

I'm off Thursday so may well phone up Peter Wright from Lindop on Monday and see if they can match or at least get extremely close and if so i'll take a trip down.

Put a good word in for me Parts King :thumbsup:

Many thanks for all your advice and help bjw, it really is appreciated, Keep it coming!!! :thumbsup:

Took a look at the review, it's the one i'm going to go for.

I'm definitely going to phone round and see what the dealers can give, though going by a lot of people's reviews, those lindop boys seem to be well worth a shout.

I phoned up the dealer in Stockport (only as it's just down the road from work) and they said they couldn't quite match it but would go 'a long way to getting it close to that price'. You were right though, they wanted me to pop into the branch to chat and see what they can do.

I'm looking at getting some options as well such as the tech pack, cargo nets, parcel storage shelf and boot liner so i'm sure there is something to be done/made on them especially if they can't quite match the price. Couple that with my part-ex, a servicing deal thrown in and a cracking finance/PCP deal and the temptation may well be too much!! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink Parts king! ha ha)

I'm off Thursday so may well phone up Peter Wright from Lindop on Monday and see if they can match or at least get extremely close and if so i'll take a trip down.

Put a good word in for me Parts King :thumbsup:

One last point I forgot to mention is watch what the Apr rate is on any finance deals you do (they can vary) .

The dealer will make a little bit out of the finance so should be even more keen to do a deal

Also look out for the usual things like make sure it has 12 months road tax ?? Is it a full tank of fuel ??

Hi

I'd give Oakmere Toyota in Northwich a try, a few of my friends have had very good deals from them recently.

Have a look at Consumer Glass's Guide for an idea of you current car's value.

Andy

Thanks for that AndyG, i'll definitely keep them in mind. Going to phone Lindop tomorrow give them first shot and see what they can do. Oakmere will be 2nd if they get a chance.................... ;)

Well the phone call has been made! (Peter Wright laughed when i mentioned your name Parts King!)

He said he had a similar situation recently and even though the price couldn't quite be matched, with other discounts and the finance offers it worked out cheaper going through him. So i've got his mobile number and going to pop down on Thursday and see what he can offer me.

I also phoned the Oakmere branch. I was told straight away in no uncertain terms that they can't match the friends and family discount price and that no Toyota dealer would be able to do so don't bother phoning around! He just said if he was me he would buy it from my brother in law! Loads of help there then!

So Parts King i'm coming down to your patch on Thursday, keeping everything crossed that i'll walk away a happy man :)

I also phoned the Oakmere branch. I was told straight away in no uncertain terms that they can't match the friends and family discount price and that no Toyota dealer would be able to do so don't bother phoning around! He just said if he was me he would buy it from my brother in law! Loads of help there then!

That doesn't surprise me, I've never found that you get a favourable response from 'cold calling' a dealer for a price. I'm looking around at buying a car and called a dealer I've dealt with in the past this very morning and got a lukewarm response, I jumped in the car and drove there and things were totally different. ;) As for saying that no dealer would be able to match the F & F price I think that that is rubbish - the likes of Drivethedeal are doing the SR180 5 door in metallic with Tech Pack for £15,999 - I suspect that the F & F prices are the normal fleet prices as offered by the Internet dealers. Obviously, you have to take into account your part-ex, finance and any other enticements available but there are good deals there to be had. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your car when you get it.

BTW: There are large scale roadworks at the end of the M56 as you head into Wales, assuming the layout hasn't changed in the past couple of days I'd stay right after the temporary traffic lights at the end of the M56 and head toward Wales and then leave the A550 at Queensferry taking the right hand turn from the roundabout (last exit -B5129) and then immediately into the RH lane to turn right at the traffic lights into Queensferry, follow that road and Lindops are on your right as you approach the 'blue bridge'. Watch yourself in the speed traps in the roadworks (40 MPH).

Andy

That doesn't surprise me, I've never found that you get a favourable response from 'cold calling' a dealer for a price. I'm looking around at buying a car and called a dealer I've dealt with in the past this very morning and got a lukewarm response, I jumped in the car and drove there and things were totally different. ;) As for saying that no dealer would be able to match the F & F price I think that that is rubbish - the likes of Drivethedeal are doing the SR180 5 door in metallic with Tech Pack for £15,999 - I suspect that the F & F prices are the normal fleet prices as offered by the Internet dealers. Obviously, you have to take into account your part-ex, finance and any other enticements available but there are good deals there to be had. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your car when you get it.

BTW: There are large scale roadworks at the end of the M56 as you head into Wales, assuming the layout hasn't changed in the past couple of days I'd stay right after the temporary traffic lights at the end of the M56 and head toward Wales and then leave the A550 at Queensferry taking the right hand turn from the roundabout (last exit -B5129) and then immediately into the RH lane to turn right at the traffic lights into Queensferry, follow that road and Lindops are on your right as you approach the 'blue bridge'. Watch yourself in the speed traps in the roadworks (40 MPH).

Andy

Andy you're a star, thanks for that, i'll make sure i take your advice about the route. I see what you mean about cold calling, 99% of the dealers like to do things face to face but i think it's a shame as due to him being so negative on the phone may have lost him a potential £16000 sale. Would have ben interesting to see his reaction if i had gone in and asked!

It's funny you should mention Drivethedeal as i have just got a quote from them (the amount you stated) so i'm going to take that along with me as well, just to show i have done the research and know what i would like to pay for me car.

As a side note have you or anyone you know of had any experience of places like Drivethedeal? It all looks good on paper, though their PCP options/quotes have a higher APR rate. I'm sure there's a better PCP offer to be had at Lindop so will see what they have got to say.

Andy

Andy you're a star, thanks for that, i'll make sure i take your advice about the route. I see what you mean about cold calling, 99% of the dealers like to do things face to face but i think it's a shame as due to him being so negative on the phone may have lost him a potential £16000 sale. Would have ben interesting to see his reaction if i had gone in and asked!

It's funny you should mention Drivethedeal as i have just got a quote from them (the amount you stated) so i'm going to take that along with me as well, just to show i have done the research and know what i would like to pay for me car.

As a side note have you or anyone you know of had any experience of places like Drivethedeal? It all looks good on paper, though their PCP options/quotes have a higher APR rate. I'm sure there's a better PCP offer to be had at Lindop so will see what they have got to say.

I used Carfile they were excellent !! I made one phone call to them and spoke to Johnathan ( they have been around for years you often see them in what car)

A Toyota garage phoned me back in about 10 Min's !! everything was done through the Toyota garage and no money was exchanged until I picked the car up and that was to the toyota garage

They even took my part exchange in and gave the price a local dealer had offered.

I was lucky the dealer the broker used was about 50 miles away but the strange thing is I had been to that dealership the week before to do a deal I knew exactly what deal i wanted ( Trade in price and discount ) and they could not match it !!but going through a broker I believe it was put through there fleet department and I got an unbeatable deal

What I would say give Parts King Lindop a chance I believe they are a family run business and I am sure they will look after you but of course it does come down to if they can do you an exceptional deal

Regarding the other garage refusing to quote you over the telephone you do get that sometimes but I always think if they were going to be competitive they would want to quote you

I always use the line " I was going to get the car from a broker but a friend suggested I ring you to see if you are competitive"

As a side note have you or anyone you know of had any experience of places like Drivethedeal?

Not personally but they seem to be quite well regarded on the likes of the Telegraph 'Honest John' motoring forum.

A friend bought a Toyota Corolla through an Internet dealer a few years ago (I cannot remember which one) and they simply introduced him to a dealer in Stoke on Trent who dealt with the order and took the money - he could of had the car delivered but he just travelled down to SoT on the day and paid and collected his car. His only other contact with the Internet dealer after the initial introduction was a feedback survey. There was chap on this forum who worked for the dealer in SoT at the time and other forum members asked him if he'd deal with them direct but he couldn't because the introductions had to be done through the Internet firms to get the fleet prices.

Andy

Well i had a good chat with them down in Lindop.

They couldn't quite match the price but when i take into consideration what they will give me in part ex, and the PCP option they came up with it wasn't too far off so will take the plunge with them.

One last question, i'm undecided about colour, it's either the Silver Steel or the Decuma Grey.

Anyone have either of the above and can recommend it etc?

I am leaning towards the silver as i think it complements the blacked out windows really well (Plus the one i took out was a silver one and i really liked the look of it) Even though most of my family say the grey looks nicer! (Typical) I know at the end of the day it comes down to what i want but i just wondered if anyone can sway me either way.

Thanks

They couldn't quite match the price but when i take into consideration what they will give me in part ex, and the PCP option they came up with it wasn't too far off so will take the plunge with them.

One last question, i'm undecided about colour, it's either the Silver Steel or the Decuma Grey.

I am leaning towards the silver as i think it complements the blacked out windows really well (Plus the one i took out was a silver one and i really liked the look of it) Even though most of my family say the grey looks nicer! (Typical) I know at the end of the day it comes down to what i want but i just wondered if anyone can sway me either way.

Thanks

I am pleased you managed to get your deal sorted out I am sure Lindop will look after you very well!! family run companies are usually better !!!

Regarding colours I like silver my last three cars have been silver and they do not show the dirt to much and stone chips do not stand out like on other dark colours .

You find some colours just suit a car and the only thing against silver is the fact there are so many silver cars on the road these days .

Whats Parts king like is he as feisty as he sounds :D ( just joking Parts King)

Thanks

Hi. They are both good colours! My wife's Auris is silver and looks good and doesn't show the dirt quickly. Mine is grey and I think looks slightly better when clean. The grey doesn't show the dirt like my black landcruiser did and I don't think it looks too bad dirty. There really isn't much to choose between them - I am sure you would like either colour.