Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiring Parking Sensors

fellysrav

Hi all,

I am new the forum and have just become a proud owner of Rav 2004 XT3. I have been reading the forums about installing parking sensors and am confident I can fit them, BUT how do you wire them up and route the cables ? as much detail as possible please as I dont want to make any mistakes.

Hi and welcome,

Not been a member too long myself but, it is a great site and very helpful bunch....

I have just fitted some sensors on mine but it is a 4.2 series so not sure of the similarities. I am sure someone will point out the body differences..

I fit one sensor on each bumper quarter..the bit that is fixed to the car and only fitted one on the Door/Bumper as the one to the right of the spare will was too close a call for drilling to allow for the depth of the sensor through the plastic before meeting the steel part of the door.

If they are the same I will let you have more details.

Cheers John

Hi and welcome to TOC, I fitted a Valeo parking sensor kit to my 4.2. It wasn't too hard a job, if you do a search on

parking sensors I may have done a thread on it, cant remember :rolleyes: but there will be others. There is also

a thread on model types, Anchorman may post a link to it when he comes online, all will become clear. Anyhoo, I

used a 4 sensor kit, the one you are talking about to the right of the spare wheel turned out ok as you have to drill

right through to door cavity to run wires anyway. I positioned it as per photo, the location and template for which i

downloaded from Toyota techy site. I would say the worst part is connecting to the reversing light wire as there is

little slack on the cables to work with.

100_0272.jpg

Also have a look at a member called Pips website, he fitted parking sensors and a few other mods as well, very useful.

http://www.unclepips.co.uk/

Good luck.

Hi and welcome to TOC, I fitted a Valeo parking sensor kit to my 4.2. It wasn't too hard a job, if you do a search on

parking sensors I may have done a thread on it, cant remember :rolleyes: but there will be others. There is also

a thread on model types, Anchorman may post a link to it when he comes online, all will become clear. Anyhoo, I

used a 4 sensor kit, the one you are talking about to the right of the spare wheel turned out ok as you have to drill

right through to door cavity to run wires anyway. I positioned it as per photo, the location and template for which i

downloaded from Toyota techy site. I would say the worst part is connecting to the reversing light wire as there is

little slack on the cables to work with.

100_0272.jpg

Also have a look at a member called Pips website, he fitted parking sensors and a few other mods as well, very useful.

http://www.unclepips.co.uk/

Good luck.

Not a hard job really, are you fitting a gen Toyota TPA400 kit? If so and you buy it from the dealership get them to print off the fitting instructions for you - if they arent moody buggers they will prob do it for you.

As you look at the pic above you must remember to turn the sensor closest to the spare wheel cover 90degrees clockwise so the sensor doesnt pick up on the spare wheel cover.

Also there is no need to drill the back door cavity to wire it up. There are a couple of holes already there for you to use.

The trickiest bit of the install is getting the parking sensor loom through the rubber grommet between the body and back door.

Mart.

Good morning felliesrav

A cheaper option is to exploit a Derby European Funding Initiative and employ a person wi a red flag........

There you go:

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...64-X0423-00.pdf

The Toyota kit isn't the cheapest but it is the best. Kingo will have it delivered to you at a discounted rate. When you paint the sensors dont allow the paint to dry fully before removing the blanking inserts as it will peel it off. Don't beat yourself up about the colour match, go to a spares shop and get the nearest you can find as you will hardly tell and even the correct colour shows up slightly off shade on the plastic anyway.

I knew someone would find fitting instructions somewhere :)

You can get Gen Toyota spray cans for painting the sensors - and they are a perfect match. I have a few half cans if you need any.

And as anchorman says you must remember to push the inserts into the sensors BEFORE painting or you will paint over the actual sensing part of them lol - seen this done and its a right pain to scrape all the unwanted paint off without damaging anything.

Mart.

Oh, also when you print these instructions off make sure you dont have any scaling settings that will print them out differently as you want the templates to be the correct size (check this by using a ruler on the printed ruler scale and making sure they are the same size)

Also be sure to use the RHD templates for your RAV as the 3rd sensor is placed differently between LHD and RHD cars.

Mart.

Thanks Mart.

fellysrav - kingo should be able to supply the aerosol as well.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I just got a letter from my Dealer offering the reversing sensors supplied and fitted for £299 - still seems pricey for what they are, but at the same time also seems a good deal considering it was from a Toyota dealer with the Toyota kit.

Maybe other dealers will be doing something similar?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links