Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 05 V Accord 05

taximark

Before i get into what i think, what do people generally think of these two cars if they were comparing them to buy?

Before i get into what i think, what do people generally think of these two cars if they were comparing them to buy?

As an owner of both, I can say without a shadow of a doubt the Accord is the better car.

Better built, superior handling and better engine and gearbox. The Avensis is very good though just not up to the standard of the Accord.

As an owner of both, I can say without a shadow of a doubt the Accord is the better car.

Better built, superior handling and better engine and gearbox. The Avensis is very good though just not up to the standard of the Accord.

Yeah i suspected that although as you say the Avensis is still a very good car but i think the Accord has the edge, the only thing letting it down is the expensive parts and servicing.

Just to back up above view regarding Accord against Avensis. Avensis is still a great car, but Accord is Bang- On in every single department. They have just started to come on line for NCT (MOT) Testing & a part from wear & tear items ie: the odd anti roll bar link or tyre etc, part of every day running of any car. Accord is simply the better car with one exception, PRICE.

Mate has an accord, really really nice car, wish i had one. So nice to drive

Not disagreeing as you own both, but I am surprised at some of your conclusions. Are they diesels or petrols? I wanted an Accord for years and then took one on a day long test drive and was relatively impressed, but a bit underwhelmed bearing in mind the price. I didn't like the Avensis at all, based on driving a 1.8 T4 in around 2003. For some reason I had one last look at the Avensis and decided I preferred the interior to the Accord, so booked a test drive for comparison. My decision was based on the 2.2 diesel in both cars, Accord Exec vs. Avensis T3-X.

My thoughts were that the engines were very similar, but the Avensis just edged it on rengine efinement. I felt the Avensis had far better Mway refinement, both ride and noise, but the Accord was a much better handler. For build quality I couldn't split them but preferred the idea of the Japan built Accord. Can't pretend price wasn't a factor, it was, the Accord Exec would have been up against the T180, which I no doubt would have loved. Close call then, but I bought the Avensis.

I've read a few things about Accord paint quality being a bit thin, and a colleagues 40k mile example certainly appears a lot more worn than my 30k Avensis, lots of little scratches and chips. How do your two compare on that front?

As I say, your opinions as an owner of both are far more worthwhile than my test-drive comparison. Would be interested to know if they are petrols or diesels? As mentioned, I really, really disliked the 2003 model 1.8 I drove, whereas the facelift 2.2 D4-D was a completely different kettle of fish.

Not disagreeing as you own both, but I am surprised at some of your conclusions. Are they diesels or petrols? I wanted an Accord for years and then took one on a day long test drive and was relatively impressed, but a bit underwhelmed bearing in mind the price. I didn't like the Avensis at all, based on driving a 1.8 T4 in around 2003. For some reason I had one last look at the Avensis and decided I preferred the interior to the Accord, so booked a test drive for comparison. My decision was based on the 2.2 diesel in both cars, Accord Exec vs. Avensis T3-X.

My thoughts were that the engines were very similar, but the Avensis just edged it on rengine efinement. I felt the Avensis had far better Mway refinement, both ride and noise, but the Accord was a much better handler. For build quality I couldn't split them but preferred the idea of the Japan built Accord. Can't pretend price wasn't a factor, it was, the Accord Exec would have been up against the T180, which I no doubt would have loved. Close call then, but I bought the Avensis.

I've read a few things about Accord paint quality being a bit thin, and a colleagues 40k mile example certainly appears a lot more worn than my 30k Avensis, lots of little scratches and chips. How do your two compare on that front?

As I say, your opinions as an owner of both are far more worthwhile than my test-drive comparison. Would be interested to know if they are petrols or diesels? As mentioned, I really, really disliked the 2003 model 1.8 I drove, whereas the facelift 2.2 D4-D was a completely different kettle of fish.

I'm suprised a little because recently i had a look at an Accord and i was totally impressed by the engine, it was that quiet it sounded like a petrol - massive thumbs up to Honda for that.

The drive seems more precise and the overall look looks pleasant, cruise control on most models too, although the Avensis is still a really good car, Honda is IMO way in front.

Regarding the prices, for a 05 Accord ex cdti showing 50k fhsh, i saw prices around £8995, and saw exactly the same give or take for the Avensis however it has to be said Honda are more expensive on parts.

I'm suprised a little because recently i had a look at an Accord and i was totally impressed by the engine, it was that quiet it sounded like a petrol - massive thumbs up to Honda for that.

The drive seems more precise and the overall look looks pleasant, cruise control on most models too, although the Avensis is still a really good car, Honda is IMO way in front.

Regarding the prices, for a 05 Accord ex cdti showing 50k fhsh, i saw prices around £8995, and saw exactly the same give or take for the Avensis however it has to be said Honda are more expensive on parts.

The Honda and Toyota 2.2 diesels are both brilliant - when I referred to the Avensis diesel as slightly more refined (IMO) I did mean slightly. Both are streets ahead of the competition (although I haven't experience of BMW or Mercedes diesels).

I thought the Honda was way out in front until I compared them back to back. Trust me, I really, really wanted the Honda until test drive time. I was staggered to find the Avensis was in the same ballpark, and even more staggered to find, on cold light of day review, that I wanted to buy the Toyota.

Both are good cars, where would you say the Honda was 'way out in front'? Have you driven the equivalent models of both? If it's handling then I'd be inclined to agree, but I found the Avensis clawed back those lost points with it's superior Mway cruising abilities. (NB hope it doesn't come across like I am attacking your view, I'm not, I'm genuinely interested to know what models you compared and what were the strong points of either - for instance if you tested a pre-facelift 2.0 D4-D Avensis then I would agree, the Honda engine is much better, and if you tested an Electric Power Steering (rather than hydraulic) Avensis I would again agree).

Regarding prices, yes second hand they are similar. Buying new was a different story, and because they are similar second hand this makes a new Avensis a much more economical purchase than a new Accord (greater percentage retained).

I looked at both of these before i finally bought my avensis, firstly i dont think the space in the accord is a as big as the avensis, and secondly, the insurance group on an avensis is 7, however on the accord its 12, and thirdly as mentioned the parts and servicing on the accord are more expensive, as for ride and comfort they are on quite a par!!

Yep mainly due to VTEC!!! But both great car's i gotta say.

Honda see the Accord as a 3-Series, Audi A4, Merc C-Class competitor where as the Avensis is an alternative to the Mondeo/Vectra. This is why the Accord is expensive because the front end discount is low in the fleet world thus creating strong residual values, the Avensis is more heavily discounted as Toyota is perceived as a volume brand.

I would rate the Honda Diesel as a superb engine, as i have had loads of Honda's in the last few years (i did work for them till recently).

Parts/Insurance are expensive due to them being Japanese built unlike Civic & CRV which are built in Swindon.

Both are good cars but the Accord aimed at the class above, As to whether or not they have succeeded is a matter of personal opinion.

• 9 years later...

I have had both. Like my accord much better. Still have it now. They last forever.