Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Air Bags

maz77cats

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to switch off the passengers airbag from a Celica T-Sport 2004 model? I have a rear facing baby seat and would prefer to put the seat in the front rather than the back.

many thanks in advance for your advice.

M xx

• 4 weeks later...

I too am wanting to know the same thing.

I have put a baby seat in the back but the bucket in the seat is making it awkward.

I went to Toyota and they said it is illegal for them to dis-arm the air bag, as you would be messing with the safety system.

If anyone could help on this question, much would be appreciaited!!!!!

Amy

i dont know about it being illegal as not all vehicles have air bags, as for disarming it.. i dont think there is a switch. there may be a way though, but dont hold me to it....basically pull the plug.

now how u do this is quit easy, disconnect the Battery, give it halh hour or so...under the hood on the left side on the finch/flinch arm there should be a yellow/grey plug connected to a black metal piece, pull it out.... that should disarm the front passenger air bag, its the same for the driver side but on the opposite side.

hope it makes sense....

but personally i'd advise to keep the air bag on as it does saves lives. moving the passeneger seat all the way back might be more advisable.....but i dont have kids so never used a child/baby seat so i cant really comment on this.

goodluck peeps

• 5 years later...

I found this from the UK governments web site ( https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/overview )note it says "no rear-facing child seat in the front" as far as i have researched forward facing child seat in the front is fine. But what I'am doing is checking with Toyota how far there air bags extend when deployed , Depending on the distance i will probably just kick the seat back as far as possible so the little one doesn't get a dirty slap in the face with the airbag.

• 3 weeks later...
Celica T230 has sensor seat belts. I'm interesting if passenger without seat belts airbarg is working... In my opinion it should not.

If my theory is true enough deceive sensor seat belts.