Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One For The It Tech Guys..

Jamesb4uk

ok this is starting to annoy me now...

got a snap server 2000 sitting on my desk, no idea of the ip addy i downloaded the Quantum software & it cant detect the server. :ffs:

currently ive got a 2nd NIC in my work PC & the snapserver connected via Crossover cable. ive been trying to find the servers IP addy all afternoon.

as my last resort im running an IP scanner accross 1.1.1.1 - 255.255.255.254.

if this doesnt work - anyone got any ideas?

:help:

Snapserver 2000 is basically a harddisk with a NIC onboard. so doesnt really have an OS

users access it via the IP/net name.

J

yeah found snap appliance b4 i left work. gonna read the manual this weekend at some point..

the server is a Quantum snapserver 2000. unfortunatly Quantum dont support them anymore.

ahh well - ill see waht the IP scanner comes back with monday.

cheers guys

J

Dude the easiest way to get the ip is to open a command prompt and run a netstat

i'd personally use netstat -n -5

then you can see the address your connected to.

Why no one on here has suggested that yet is strange :(

I thought it was common knowledge

...I thought it was common knowledge

Oviously not :lol: (Maybe that's why I'm a lowly developer rather than Admin :P )

I myself would try downloading the SnapAssist Utility from Snapappliance and the admin manual first, which is what I suggested before.

If all else fals try a software sniffer like 'Ethereal' (freeware) on the PC. If you do a scan whilst you switch the Snap-Server on you may see it send out a few packets which will contain all the info you might need in the headers (IP, MAC, Protocols, etc.).

I myself would try downloading the SnapAssist Utility from Snapappliance and the admin manual first, which is what I suggested before.

If all else fals try a software sniffer like 'Ethereal' (freeware) on the PC. If you do a scan whilst you switch the Snap-Server on you may see it send out a few packets which will contain all the info you might need in the headers (IP, MAC, Protocols, etc.).

yep - i tried that & it couldnt detect it.

ive got he manual sitting in front of me which ill probably get round to reading tomoz.

i left my pc at work running an IP scanner - pinging 1.1.1.1 - 255.255.255.254 so ill se what the results are moday.

J

Have you tried the sniffer? When the server goes live it should launch a couple of packets onto the network just to announce it's presence and to find out what's out there (especially if it's set up to point at a DHCP server for it's IP address).

Can you check the arp cache on that machine? Not sure how to

do that on windows, but if any packets at all have been exchanged

between the machines you will have a record of the ip address

and the ethernet mac addresses in the arp cache.

Might save you pinging everything.

Cheers

Paul.

nope found away to reset the damn thing. so i wiped the network settings & started from scratch

then after all that i found out the hard drives were knacked. :ffs:

cheers for the help guys, dont have to worry about it till the 5th :lol:

J

dont have to worry about it till the 5th

Same here! :lol:

Back to work on the 5th and i've got loads of stuff to do that i've been putting off for the new year :(

Got 3 Linux Servers to finish off and about 100 msi's to create.......mummy :wacko:

lol - ive got 3 departments to upgrade to XP...

then weve got 5 sites opening up - 2 in spain & the rest in the UK

each site has about 400 users..

hmmmmm fun... :crybaby:

J