Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Built In Sat Nav?

shakman87

hello,

my sisters about to buy a yaris on the weekend, anything to look out for?

but mainly when we first checked it out, i was looking on the centre console and by the small screen there were buttons that sais stuff like 'navi, reroute, search' and more that made me assume it had built in sat nav. but when i asked the owner he didnt seem too sure and gave me an unconvincing 'no'. so is there a chance it has built in sat nav but the owner has never used it?

btw: its an 2002 plate model, pre facelift.

also, is there a write up on how to change the head unit?

hello,

but mainly when we first checked it out, i was looking on the centre console and by the small screen there were buttons that sais stuff like 'navi, reroute, search' and more that made me assume it had built in sat nav. but when i asked the owner he didnt seem too sure and gave me an unconvincing 'no'. so is there a chance it has built in sat nav but the owner has never used it?

Well my old yaris didn't have sat nav. It had 2 buttons in front of the screen as you say but one was for changing the display between KM/H and MPH and the other was for setting the distance meter thing (forget the name right now) to zero. Mine was older though on a V plate.

The buttons you refer to are there in case anyone decides to fit the Toyota sat nav system as an option, but chances are your car won't have it. Not worth bothering anyway as the option costs about a grand I seem to remember and you can buy a decent portable system instead for a fraction of the cost.

hello,

I fitted the Toyota sat nav system in my wifes YARIS , they have a disc drive which is normaly fitted under the front passengers seat .

But the Toyota system isn't a patch on the portable system we use in my car , which can be bought for around £100 .

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine a couple of years ago and it came with the Toyota Sat Nav and the dealer didn't even realise! It's a bit rubbish to be honest though. I stick with my Tom Tom.

The new Yaris SR has TomTom now as standard; even Toyota thinks the Toyota sat nav is too expensive!!

It was good in its day, but has now been over taken by cheaper and better portable systems.

hello,

If you look under the passenger seat, (not in the tray, under it) easier from the rear, if there is a computer, looks like a dvd player, there you have it. if it is just flat carpet, you dont.

I find it quite good, myself. May not be quite in the league of the latest systems but reliable. I have heard of these portables guiding you into a field!!

Also. they can be purchase on eBay, etc, very cheaply now, just be sure to get the wiring as that will still be expensive from Toyota. In addition, the older cd rom version is a straight swap for the newer dvd version so you can upgrade easily.

• 9 years later...

Have been looking into installing a DVD ROM version of the factory satnav into our Yaris verso can anyone tell me what wires I need to ask for as found a very cheap DVD unit on eBay as GAR suggested above but not sure what else I need to buy to get to work..  we have a portable Nav unit as well but it generally stays in our other car.. and would be nice to have it as back up system...  - Many thanks 

The main drawback with factory sat navs is that updates are often more expensive than buying a new TomTom, Garmin, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Generic buttons which dont always mean you have NAV.

It will be a very primitive form of NAV on 2002 car and not really worth retrofitting unless you buy the bits for 20 pence and can be bothered with the hassle of fitting it yourself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links