Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please

DazH

When I click on 'search' on my toolbar now, instead of MSN search I get some tw :censor: t of a search engine that has gambling, !Removed! and loans options to click on. Instead of the 'box' for entering text. I also have, where it says 'done' when a page has loaded '//auto.searchco.com/'

Short of finding where this site is based and goin round and pulling their f :censor: kin heads off ( I'm a big lad and wouldn't be a problem )

How do I get rid of it? :angry::help:

first of all, keep your cool :D

Goto 'tools' at the top of your screen, then 'internet options', where it says homepage type the adress of your page. ok the lot and youre back in business.

chances are though that it will return next time you turn your machine back on. somewhere on your hards drive there is a little program responsible. type some key letters from the offending page and look for an executible. delete it. make sure you delete the rigth program though. jsut make sure you don't delete it from your recycle bin.

good luck

rickers :hokus-pokus:

First delete all temporary files, cookies and change your default page if it was modified. The U could check the downloaded programs and components.

Hpe this helps

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Download a program called Ad-aware available Here

that will scann your PC fro spyware like the one you found.

i scanned my PC last week & had over 100 of the B :ffs: s hiding themselves away.

J

As well as ad-aware , look for spybot search and destroy, get a good virus checker and keep it upto date, preferably one that auto updates when you go on line, I use a shareware (well free to home users) version of one called Avast, it updates whenever it needs to automatically, also get yourself the free version of zonealarm.

Look for the symantec worm checkers, they are free but a PIA to download and execute.

For a higher level of security go into IE security options and disable the automatically load cookies function, it means having to say yes or more importantly no to lots of cookie queries, but surely tht is better than getting infested by the !Removed! spammers.

Surf safe guys n gals

On the computer question, whats best if any to download to stop them pop-ups asking if you want to watch 'things' etc especially the one form jessica which im getting about once every 30minutes!!!! :unsure:

hi

i've got popupcop seem to be the best i've tryed along with google bar that has a popup stopper builtin maker sure you got zonealarm as your firewall to stop programs accessing the net.

i also use adware nice program just make sure to update these programs to fight against hackers etc.

www.popupcop.com

www.zonealarm.com

On the computer question, whats best if any to download to stop them pop-ups asking if you want to watch 'things' etc especially the one form jessica which im getting about once every 30minutes!!!! :unsure:

download "panicware pop up stopper free edition"

it's the job :thumbsup:

download "panicware pop up stopper free edition"

it's the job :thumbsup:

Cheers, just downloaded it thanks :thumbsup:

ok here another question for anyone

when coming onto TOC sometimes and looking at th forums it shows you which ones have got new replies in them

(ie the envelope 'lights up' on the left)

and its stays inb this state until you read it and come back out and can then see which others are still unread

so why is it that nearly evertime i come on and on some days i can either look at one post or half a dozen or on occasion nearly all of them

only to return and they are all now marked as read and i dont know which ones to look into

tried fartin about with the cookies and controls but to no reall avail!

come on im loosin the plot sometimes :!Removed!:

cheers

:thumbsup:

Right, I have to say the pop ups I thought you were on about were the type you get when browsing onyour own as it were ahem :unsure:

The pop up you describe is an actual call on your machine, it means it is insecure, you need to download a firewall program, doing anything else including turning it off in the ms manager all this is does is turn off the message but leaves a port still open on your machine and vulnerable to attack, so firewall, zonealarm is free, please make sure you run a firewall, only those of you on a 486 have any excuse, my old lappie (P2 233) was running XP pro and had ZA and other security features enabled,with only 64 megs of RAM

Download a program called Ad-aware available Here

that will scann your PC fro spyware like the one you found.

i scanned my PC last week & had over 100 of the B :ffs: s hiding themselves away.

J

Thanks for that mate, 61 of the buggers :o

Wouldn't care but I have Black Ice firewall and virus software but it seems nothin stops em if they wanna get in.

Got this problem by typing the word auto in the address bar without www. in front of it. Next thing I know you click the search button and put Paseo in and it comes up with anal s*x sites :eek:

Wonder where the connection is there, no sarcastic comments please :lol:

Right, I have to say the pop ups I thought you were on about were the type you get when browsing onyour own as it were ahem :unsure:

No,the popups is was on about come up all the time! TOC,Hotmail,BBC, Demon Tweeks every !Removed! where I was looking.

That pop-up stopper works great, it been on gor about 30mins and stopped 3 popups!

Zone Alarm is the best fire wall IMO... stops nearly everything and is pretty user friendly.. but at the start it will be very very over protective and you have to configure it to suit your own needs...