Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Vvti 140bhp Drivers - Only Please

edwardio

Hi All

Ok what I'd like to know is how many miles you get from a full tank.

In an ideal world we should get 443.7 miles per tank.

The maths:

55ltr tank = 12.09 Gallons.

combined mileage = 36.7 miles per Gallon.

12.09 x 36.7 = 443.70

That's taking the car as brand new, ideal weight and keeping to the speed limit.

I'm doing a small experiment with acetone, so getting a rough idea from you guys as to what you get from your tank, will help me decide if this stuff works.

So how many miles per tank do you get (on average)?

Hey

I reckon I get between 250-300 miles to a full tank on average - that is driving mostly in town local short distance - mostly

I be interested on this turns out

cheers

N

Thanks for that info Nkundalia. If you mainly do town/city driving, you should get about 331 per tank (12.09 gals * 27.4 urban miles).

Keep those figures coming people.

i do a lot or motor way milage

i were getting just under 100 miles per quater of a tank when driving at a sensible speed. u'd think i'll end up with 400 miles per tank but for some reason that never happened.

car has an induction kit and d cat exhaust so i'm sure that will take that little extra in fuel

would have a better idea but had to park it up again until i get the back wheel sorted.

still a very economical car

I know if i do 2 motorway trips (100 miles each way) combined with the normal local urban driving I can get up to around 350 miles

I think in town maybe i'm a little heavy footed, I on the next full tank will drive very economically and see what i get

Well I do a mixed of town, city and motorway driving every week day on my way to work. I go through a tank every week and always fill up when the fuel light comes on or 1 bar before. So if the light comes on, I'd guess that there is at least 25 miles worth in there with normal driving conditions.

I will admit to being a bit naughty on motorways. We're talking about crusing at 4500-5000 revs in 6th gear, which happens 80% of the time.

I normally get 400 miles (taking my guess of at least 25 miles more when the light come on).

I have got 430 ish miles a few times when driving upto to places like Alton Towers and back from Kent.

It would be good to see what we all generally get and how much we come under the 'perfect conditions' figure.

I usually get anywhere between 320 and 350 miles. This is mostly town driving, too and from work so lots of queuing, and I use a fuel additive every other time I go to fill up. I have gone past 400 miles once which was mostly motorway driving and a steady speed, nothing too fast.

What's always puzzled me though is the 55L tank. Even when i don't fill up until the fuel light has been on for about 15 miles, I still only manage to get about 45L in. Surely the fuel light doesn't come on that early with 10L still left!!

The fuel light is just a warning to say there is enough fuel in the tank to get to a petrol stations. The average is normallt about 30 miles worth of fuel when the light comes on.

Couple of things.

Firstly petrol light - This comes on with 1 gallon left in the tank. My light came on, so filled her up to the lip and she took 50ltrs. As it has a 55ltr tank, that leaves 5ltrs in there once the light comes on.

Secondly - I got 393 miles out of her before the light came on. Using my 25 miles as an easy average guess on how many miles you'd get out of 5 ltrs (I'm sure this is below what you would get - prob more like 30-35miles).

So I got 418miles from that tank after using acetone.

I got 325.1 miles out of 40 litres of fuel last time. This was with mostly urban short distance driving, with two 60 mile round trips (mostly on 60mph single carriageways) per week on top of that.

I'm currently just over a quarter of the tank down after refilling and have done 130 miles. I've been driving a bit less conservatively this time around.

about 50 miles a working day - motorway / town / stood still for 40 to 50 mins a day, and a bit at the weekend, I tend to get around 320 to a tank when the light comes on.

I will admit to being a bit naughty on motorways. We're talking about crusing at 4500-5000 revs in 6th gear, which happens 80% of the time.

In a 140?? Thats more than just a bit naughty my friend! :blink:

doing usualy A roads and town driving i get about 350 miles to a tank (and over a litre of oil lol) i usual say 50 miles for every £10 i put in but i noticed when u do rag the celica it does love to drink it but its a easy enough car to leave in 6th even at 40mph so im perfectly happy with the fuel consumption :D

about 50 miles a working day - motorway / town / stood still for 40 to 50 mins a day, and a bit at the weekend, I tend to get around 320 to a tank when the light comes on.

In a 140?? Thats more than just a bit naughty my friend! :blink:

Good thing now is that as mines revs lower, I don't need to get to that range any more. I only hit that range as I'm overtaking, as people like to travel at 60 in the middle lane on my way home and there's loads of them!!

Well after my oil consumption issue and a recon engine replacement. I've had to drive at 3k revs or less so i put in 25 quid and it took me about 210 miles. Maths isnt my strong point so at £1.09 a litre i think thats 22.75 litres i got my mileage from.

Shame i've got a lead foot really, cause id be saving a fortune. :)

I see from reading all these posts that on average most of you are geting over, at least, 300 miles!

Is this correct as I'm often lucky to hit 300 mile on a full tank, and I'm not that heavy footed, and don't really rag it very often at all?

Can anyone suggest any other reasons that might cause this

Thanks

N

I'd expect everyone to get at least 380-400 miles from combined driving conditions.

Now you mainly do short journeys right, so that would be the main reason staright way.

However it might be worth looking at the following:

Tyre pressure - Toyotas like their pressures to be right, so check them weekly. When under the proper pressure you'll be surprised at the effect on ecconomy.

Gears - Are you always in the lower half gears (1-3). If you are, you'd use more fuel.

Engine condition - How clean you engine is on the inside will also have an effect on ecconomy. A cleaner engine is always best.

Service - When was the car last serviced? If you've got dirty plugs or a dirty air filter this will reduce your ecconomy as well. I change my plugs every 20k miles regardless on their condition and clean them every 6 months. Plus new oil will also improce ecconomy.

Petrol - Where do you normally buy it from? Don't buy it from anywhere that's a cheap brand. Good fuel will keep your car happy. If you can afford that extar £3-£4 a tank, splash out for some Super Unleaded or use fuel/injection cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks Edwardio,

Generally I mostly drive to and from work - less than 7 miles round trip mostly in fourth if I get there depending on traffick, which usually isn't that much as I takes around 10-15mins travel time in the morning.

Tyre pressure is 32 all round - I checked that semi-regularly

Engine looks clean the car has a full service history with Toyota - although much more expensive - it's peace of mind as I reckon at som point I may end up with the fuel consumption problem

99% of the time I use Shell V-power - fill up when the light goes on and alway's full tank it.

I thought doing all this was giving me pretty good mileage - never actually thought to actually do the maths and check.

Well doing 7 mile trips isn't doing the car or your Battery any good. Thet say a car takes 10 mins to get up to ideal operating temperature, and if you're finishing your journey then or 5 mins later, I'm not surprised you get so little out of a tank.

You're fully short of the documented mileage by 31 miles for urban driving. Going by the figures, it looks like most people fall short by 30-40 miles. So although it appear rubbish miles per tank, it's about right.

27.4 (urban miles per gal) * 12.09 (tank in gallons) = 331.27 miles per tank!

I never worked out how much per tank, but I always used to work out the MPG figure. It was nearly always 34-38 MPG and this related to something that was mostly extra-urban driving. The most that I ever got was 40 MPG. The Celica is the first car that I have owned in which I have never been able to equal or better the quoted figures. I defy anyone to get the quoted extra-urban figure.

Hi All

Ok what I'd like to know is how many miles you get from a full tank.

In an ideal world we should get 443.7 miles per tank.

The maths:

55ltr tank = 12.09 Gallons.

combined mileage = 36.7 miles per Gallon.

12.09 x 36.7 = 443.70

That's taking the car as brand new, ideal weight and keeping to the speed limit.

I'm doing a small experiment with acetone, so getting a wrong idea from you guys as to what you get from your tank, will help me decide if this stuff works.

So how many miles per tank do you get (on average)?

I get roughly 330milefor a full tank. includes 50% tow driving

I get 400 miles to the tank, usually about 49 Litres to fill it up. I do mostly motorway driving about 80% of the time, keep it under 3K generally and cruse at 70 Mph in 6th gear.

I think thats fairly good!! 68K on the clock and burning oil, At least the oil burning issue doesnt seem to be effecting my MPG!

• 2 weeks later...

I get 290 Miles for a full tank.

Driving : two long dual carriage way trips and the rest short distance town driving (caining it often)

Car: Not sure whether this will make a difference or not but my car's been a long time without a service, although I've just changed the spark plugs to a set of new Bosch Super 4s. Soon I'll give it an oil change with filter, new air filter and possibly change the fuel filter then report back on how many miles I get for a full tank after that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i'd update this, since the last tank I replaced my air filter and spark plugs, and I got 307 miles out of a tank (well - until the light came on) , and that was mainly town driving without much distance. I've just had my oil changed so will update after this next tank (£53 - ouch) to see if that helped either.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links