Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want To Buy A Supra!

sporty

I have just sold my mr2 turbo and would love to buy a supra, but im doing some

research on them a they seem a cracking car. But when i look on your topic title

all i can see it supra owners say that they have problems,are they a reliable cars or

do you have to have a lot of money to make them reliable.

thanks sporty. :thumbsup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karma Supra

• Leeky

• nws25

• adi

give us a clus, mk2, mk3? mk4? if the latter to, 3.0i, 3.0T, 2.0TT, 2.5TT, 3.0TT? ;)

I'm guess ign you after a mk3. they are fine, should have no problems as long as its not been totlly neglected..

watch out for blown headgaskets on the dodgwy 7m engines.

Yeah i'd agree with karma, the only issue i've EVER heard regarding the supra's in the dodgy head gaskets on the 7M.

The 1jz and the 2jz are like brick ***** houses :lol:

yeah sorry chaps, im looking at a mk3 model twin turbo and do you

know what they are like on petrol, and insurance, my mr2 turbo was a great

little car and i loved it, but i had a supra twin turbo for a weekend and that was it

the mr2 went up for sale, Im looking at a early model any ideas how much

Im looking at for a nice one.

You sure you mean mkiii???? does it look like the one in Leeky's sig??

Just that there arent many mkiii TT's in the country.

2jz's dont blow HG's?? righto :yes:

Just to add, if you look at car specific forums, obviously there will be problems, I'm sure there are plenty of people with 2's that have problems, otherwise there wouldnt be any forums.

right. the buyers guide is now up

suprasonic.co.uk

on the menu on the left click Tech How-to and then MkIII buyers guide :)

If youre looking at a mk3 Twin turbo.. i cant say about the 2.0TT but as regards petrol the 2.5tt is a bit of a thirsty bugger..

Ive got a mildly modded auto 2.5tt and £20 will get me 100 miles if i go steady.. drops to 60 miles if i floor it.

same here for mine.. i have the soarer 2.5TT but i can do 180 on £30

have you ever thought about a soarer!.. bet if you drove one it would match the supra 2.5 equivalent? (dont hold me to this.. never driven a supra)

from 4 K you will have a car that will hardly depreciate and looks fantastic for its age...

my TT will outrun a Golf 4 Motion no worries!

I bets the insurance is a tad cheaper too!

Karma will vouch for a soarer!

yeah, im looking at the mak3 tt, and you can buy them allday long,

what made you think there wasnt many in the country, i thought they was sold here

in england wasnt they?

also my dad has the soarer tt and i must say it was a lovely car, but not for me

im looking at a supra now chaps and im still not sure how much to pay for a nice

one, the car is £8995 with 40000miles is this the going rate. its the same as leekys

Also to add that i know its a forum and it is for people who have problems and advise

but the supra has a very lot of people having problems than advise, THANKS

Sure you don't mean a mkIV...as in the fast and the furious model ? ( the pic in Leekys avatar )

Must be a MKIV...I wouldn't pay 9k for a MK3 not matter what the spec....

These are the models where there is a flood of Jap imports,and under 1000 proper UK models were sold...... the Mkiii model with pop up headlights are ten a penny in the UK for uk versions.....

Lets not start a car slanging match hey. I think you'll find the mkiii is becoming rarer than the mkiv.

Sporty..................Your on about a mkiv. Perhaps you could inform us of their problems??

Lets not start a car slanging match hey. I think you'll find the mkiii is becoming rarer than the mkiv.

Sporty..................Your on about a mkiv. Perhaps you could inform us of their problems??

This ain't a slanging match , merely saying that I would not pay 9k for a 10 year old Toyota bearing in mind that it was not the last version that they released. I would however pay 9K plus for a UK Mark IV Supra as you could put a private plate on it and it could pass as an R-S plate.......

Maybe the Mkiii is becoming rarer but they are not worth 9k considering you can pick up a mint H-plater in the UK for less that 2k..... I don't think another 2 years younger is worth 7k extra..........

It was the comment they're 10 to a penny that rubbed me up the wrong way, not that they're not worth 9k, as I totally agree.

However I also think the mkiv's are too much money.......officially sold in the UK from '93-'97 and your pay 10k + for an early one, and no way of dressing the number plate up as you cant make a car look younger than it is.

10k+ for a 10 year old toyota...however much i like them.....no ta :)

But Mkiiis are ten a penny in the UK and for very little money, not a bad thing....it shows that they sold in large numbers in their day and as such are making their way around the used car market......as for the Mkiv there were no body modifications throughout their life in the UK, so a 1993 car could look like a 1998 car with a private plate on.........a bit like putting a private plate on a rev3 MR2 it could easily pass as a 98' model car

And I would pay 10k plus for a low mileage Uk Mkiv Supra with little hesitation. They are a true supercar for new Fiesta money.

The mk3's are now becoming well rare.. the fact that we only have a handful of members on the mkiii group reflects this.. imports are even rarer... you can virtually count the number of imports in the country on your fingers.

Sporty must have mk4 confused with mk3.. easily done as everyone thinks the mk2 was the mk1 !

So.. just to clarify sporty.. the mk4 is the ugly one with the 'Sea Monkey Aquarium Starter Pack' headlights, and a large handle for opening the boot :D

The mk3 is the chest wig version with popup lights.. the IMPORT mk3 is what the mk4 has nightmares about:D

the IMPORT mk3 is what the mk4 has nightmares about:D

Lets not get carried away now, the 1jzgte is a great engine but its not a 2jzgte ;) :lol:

Im actually looking to get a mk3 supra 1jz as well as my mk4 2jz.

I think if i strip the mk3 completely and tune it up some i would have a good 1/4 mile car on my hands for relitively little money.

Probably keep it off the road to avoid tax and ins and then just trailer it too and from the track :lol:

Seen a black 1jz in the trader for £800!

They'll be many agree that the 1jz is better than the 2jz, as the 2jz was mass produced they cut corners (albeit small ones).

The 1jz you've seen in the autotrader for £800 is more than likely a 1g-gte, which is a 2 litre TT, or its a 7m-gte and the guy is listening to the urban myth.

You'll be hard pushed to find a decent 1jz for under 3k

(Excuse me if i come across as a little tetchy, just missing my car, which i thought might be back before chrimbo, but its not :crybaby: )

They'll be many agree that the 1jz is better than the 2jz, as the 2jz was mass produced they cut corners (albeit small ones).

The 1jz you've seen in the autotrader  for £800 is more than likely  a 1g-gte, which is a 2 litre TT, or its a 7m-gte and the guy is listening to the urban myth.

You'll be hard pushed to find a decent 1jz for under 3k

(Excuse me if i come across as a little tetchy, just missing my car, which i thought might be back before chrimbo, but its not  :crybaby:  )

Ahhhhh that makes sence.

I've always known about the 2.0 tt but it didnt cross my mind :rolleyes: duh

Well im sure the 1jz has many good points which make it a good engine.

Its like comparing a 3s-gte to the 2jz-gte. It has many advantages over the 2jz.

But im going to go by the power output of the 2jz being higher than the 1jz and the fact that the 2jz has sequential turbo's for quicker acceleration. Im sure the 1jz is a fantastic engine but it will always be the 2jz's little brother :lol:

Your correct, you cant compare the 3s-gte to a 2jz-gte but you can compare the 1jz-gte to a 2jz-gte, as the 1jz was the stepping stone for the 2jz.

As for the power difference, the 1jz is 2500cc with smaller turbos and pushes 280bhp, the 2jz being 3000cc and bigger turbos and pushes 320 bhp.

Add 500cc and the bigger turbos, and you'd have the same if not more power than the 2jz.

Anyway, I'm a 7m-gte fan, so thats enough of that :D

Anyway, I'm a 7m-gte fan, so thats enough of that  :D

:lol: Fair play

1JZ is better then a 2JZ...

2JZ was made to replace the 1jz as a cost cutting exercise.

only reason the 2jz is easier to tune is because its more common.

an XR3i is easier to tune then my 2.0TT supra.. does that make the 1.6 CVH BETTER?

2JZ was made to replace the 1jz as a cost cutting exercise.

only reason the 2jz is easier to tune is because its more common.

an XR3i is easier to tune then my 2.0TT supra.. does that make the 1.6 CVH BETTER?

Im not talking about tuning. Im sure there are lots of reasons why a 1jz is better designed than a 2jz.

1JZ is better then a 2JZ...

But the bottom line is the 2jz is more powerful because its higher capacity and larger turbo's. Once you start modifying an engine you cant compare it anymore because the specification could be anything. :thumbsup:

....and thats where you are wrong.

in ap trim they have the SAME "power" not that paperwork figures mean that much.

The 1JZ is far lighter as its made of superior materials, it has a shorter stroke for quicker revving up (and therefore quicker spooling up). the internal componants of a 1JZ are machined billet, the 2JZ's are cast (now you know why the 1J cost so much!) I have heard from mr mycroft that the block is machined billet too, but I doubt it.

The real point that makes the 1J superior is its power delivary and torque curve, the tourque curve is almost flat giving it that endless powerband.. coupled with a lighter and stronger engine (smaller displacement measn more metal between the bores, means they are stronger, headgasket seals better.. etc etc...

I could go into BMEP and how the 1J is designed to optimise it, and has a higher BMEP figure then the 2jz.. but its really very boring :lol:

In this case mate, conterary to popular beleive "bigger is not better"

My usual example is when peopel say the 8.0 viper V10 isa great engine... -its not, its crap, the 1jz is something like 20 ttimes more efficient at turning CC into raw power (when I say power I means torque AND bhp combined, -one without the other is useless, this is the main reason why "max power" bhp figures don't impress me :)

Maybe the Mkiii is becoming rarer but they are not worth 9k considering you can pick up a mint H-plater in the UK for less that 2k..... I don't think another 2 years younger is worth 7k extra..........

well..... I bought my mk3 in march for £3k.

sonce then I have had a few people make me offers for it, the best so far being £5k. at that rate of appreciation, next yea it could be worth £7k.. but we all know it doesn't work like that.., lets say for arguments sake.. I was offered 6K.. well hey.. there you go we are taking mk4 supra money for a 15 year old mk3.... go figure ;) granted mine is not a normal UK spec car, and its a fairly tidy one too (some of the guys here have seen it).

I am having more and more people telling me how the MKIII is growing on them, hw they used to prefer the MK4 but the MK3 had more character. we have been thru the "oldfashioned" look... as the mk4 people enter looking out of date.. we are leaving it and entereing the classic car market :D

Steve.. damn right I can vouch for the soarer!!! as it never looked so "in ya face" I think it looks more modern then the mk4 supra... Soarers are leveling out in price now as well :thumbsup: