Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Want To Buy A Supra!

sporty

The 2JZ vs 1JZ thing..

The 2J is more powerful, no doubt about it, it has more torque as stock (305nm vs 264 on the 1JZ) and will ultimately push more power., but its also the more crude engine of the two in terms of deisgn. The 1JZ is an engineers engine, its a work of art compared to the 2JZ... the 2JZ is a drivers engine, if that makes sense.

You'd be hard pushed to find a smoother turbo'd engine than the 2.5TT.

Although they both run 280 bhp (import), you need another 40bhp on the 1JZ to match it to the stock 2JZ due to the torque.

But, the 1J is certainly not the baby brother, I could potentially wipe the floor with a 2JZ just as easily as a 2JZ could wipe the floor with me..

The 1JZ is the better engine, but its true it's not as powerful as the 2JZ... however, theyre both as reliable and as each other and both have masses of similar potential.

The BEST engine would be the 1.5jz, with the better block from the 2JZ but the better head from the 1JZ.. best of both worlds.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karma Supra

• Leeky

• nws25

• adi

Putting a 2JZ block in instead of a 1JZ would ruin the main reasons why the 1J is a superior design ;)

incidently.. just turn trackday settings on on the 1j ;)

:lol:

Thanks guys, i never really knew much about the 1jz.

Really when you think about it we are talking about diffrent versions of the same engine. :lol:

How rare are the 1jz mk3's? Like i said im going to try to get a mk3 as well as a mk4 and use the mk3 as a track car so with heavy tuning heading its way it would be good to have the strongest engine.

Putting a 2JZ block in instead of a 1JZ would ruin the main reasons why the 1J is a  superior design ;)

incidently.. just turn trackday settings on on the 1j ;)

agreed it would change the feel of it.. but still a good upgrade. Its certainly something i'll be doing if my bottom end ever goes.. besides the 2JZ block is stronger than the 1JZ block?

Trackday settings are different on a soarer than the supra.. on the supra its the TEMS short and thats it.. i'm still in doubt if indeed it does anything in the soarer or whether its another myth.. what is it actually supposed to do? Change the mapping? alter the shift points?

Leeky, 1JZ mk3's are rare.. you might get one come up every three months in autotrader. Prices vary.. you can pay up to twice as much for a 1JZ equipped mk3 that you can for a normal UK model. Or you can get lucky if the owner doesnt know what theyre selling and pick up a bargain :D

Leeky. you grow more and more on me lmao (no, not like that)

to me that would be ideal.. that why I am gettign a soarer as my every day car and a mk3 for my "fun car" (tho also thinking of keeping my current mk3 as my "classic car" lol)

to be honest.. for pure trackday thrills.. and for bit power.. I'd shove a 2jz in. as stock I do prefer the 1JZ, but the 2jz is undoubtely more tunable, as its more common,, and its still one of the best out there ;)

Adi I assumed the management was the same... -ona soarer it alters the TEMS, gives a few more ponies and a bit more torwu (300 pound feet or so) and alters the shift points (my auto soarer used to redline itself lol)

Leeky. you grow more and more on me lmao

Any ideas what the stock 1jz supra does the 1/4 in?

I'd hazard a guess at about 14secs.

Give me a figure to work with when im stripping the thing down :lol:

my 1JZ standard auto soarer did a 1/4 in 14 seconds flat... on a low tank of fuel, and my portly frame on board :D if you wanna drag a mk3... geta narrow body.. they are 300kg lighter out of the box :)

I have been given a vauxhaul chevvette..... think I'm gopnna make it my 1/4 mile car...

fancy a 3S-GTE in it... :D

quote by deesonet on LOC

The 1JZGTE is the twin turbo 2.5 litre baby brother to the 2JZGTE. After 1996 however they produced a special version - 1JZGTE VVTi which has only 1 turbo. This motor has enormous torque output - 378Nm at 2400rpm and 85% of that available at 1500rpm. This motor is still in production in Japan.

The 1JZ have heads by Yamaha whereas the 2JZ have heads by Toyota. Guess which ones are better - of course the 1JZ, unless you are building a monster equivalent. In Japan a very popular conversion is the 2JZ block with 1JZ heads on them. They call them 1.5JZ's.

The 2JZ block is a long stroke version of the 1JZ - approx 25mm difference in height. Everything else that bolts onto the block is the same or similar. The 1JZ's are very popular in Australia for engine changes as they are much cheaper than the 2JZ's with little difference in power output. They are also lighter in weight as well.

Why I picked the 1JZ is the VVTi function and the large torque. I picked this motor up off eBay for a good price. My last experience with 1JZ twin turbo conversion saw 315HP at the wheels with a few mods to the boost controller and 13psi boost. With similar mods to this engine should see a very reliable 300HP while still being very drivable and smooth.

The reason my engine mounts worked is because the 1JZ is not as tall as the 2JZ hence it stills fits under the bonnet. If you tried these mounts with the 2JZ it wouldn't work. I read the Monster postings last night - what a history.

My comment is only those who have undertaken such work themselve can throw comments around. As I always say we should have a sticker on the car - "Built not bought". It is not easy carrying out these conversions if you have not attempted it before. Ray Hall has been very good to me and told me lots about his conversion. However the more I ask Ray the more I find out. By the time I finish I will know all the tricks - some from others and some discovered by myself.

In my case the VVTi function will be difficult to control as I don't have the standard computer and will be trying to integrate an Autronic and IS200 computers combined to do the same function. This is a new area not done by othere before.

Adi I assumed the management was the same... -ona soarer it alters the TEMS, gives a few more ponies and a bit more torwu (300 pound feet or so) and alters the shift points (my auto soarer used to redline itself lol)

Adding a few more ponies is apparently a myth.. it is supposed to add another 30 bhp... thats a big step!!!

however.. the trackday setting stiffens the car big time and the steering.

Mine is rock hard as it is (suspension :blink: ) so a track day setting must be like riding the chassis! :thumbsup:

Steve that article you posted is fairly accurate... but I'd not agree with the 1JX being the little brother to the 2JZ. I see it more as twin seperated at birth, one bought up in britain, the other in the US.. one was cool, calulated and efficient.. the other an overweight loudmouth, not as calulated but its "bigger is better" mentality somehow let it muscle thru ;)

my timed 0-60s were faster with trackday settings activated. -remember you have to reset the ECU :thumbsup: -is it really THAT suprising? the soarer was the TOP of the range (its an excutive spec supra at the end of the day) it already hit the 280 bhp limit.. are you really suprised that the Jap software engineers built in a "cheat" to get more?

if I was to built a very fast toyo.. I would use the 2JZ -it goes back to my original comparison.. whats more tunable? an XR3i's CVH or my 1G-GTE??? the CVH. whats BETTER? my 1G.

as stock the 1JZ IS without a shadow of a boubt a far superior design, with far better construction. -modify it its a matter of sticking with the masses... same reason why I eventually switched from mac to PC *spit* PC is no where as "ideal" but in the real world you can use it to do more...

Glad someone mentioned Yamaha ;) they make the finest heads/inlet systems ever -they come from making musical instruments, so they are pretty damn good with airflow!!!!

the only 2 toyota engines I can think of that used the yamaha design were the 1JZ-GTE.. and the 1G-GTE... (please tell me if there are any I have missed!!!)

if anyone had more factual information on the 1G engien I'd be very interested.. its a very old engine (my supra was one of the last to run it.. and THATS 15 years old! the basic setup is still used in todays IS200) ...to me the 1G(-gte) feels like a baby 1JZ... similar rev characteristics and powerband... but far far older.. and as a result... by today's standars has bugger all power lol... more "drivable" then the 7M tho... even tho the 7M is undoubtetly more powerfull!!!!

very interesting thread...

In regards to the trackday settings... do you have any illustrations where i can change these settings? She is hard enough on the suspension as it is but I wouldnt mind testing that on the rolling road in the spring

Yes mate.. in the tech section on my site..

menu down the left. tech howto -> trackday.

its best if you reset the ECU by disconnecting the Battery overnight :) -if you don;t already use octane booster, while the ECU remaps is the time to start :)

Is the Soarer the only one with this setting?

Any others like the supra or gt4 that this can be done on?

Cheers man, same car for sale on our For Sale section.

Nice car but dunno about the auto/manual thing yet :wacko:

the only 2 toyota engines I can think of that used the yamaha design were the 1JZ-GTE.. and the 1G-GTE... (please tell me if there are any I have missed!!!)

the BEAMS 3s-ge engines also use a Yamaha head in 2 guises, Black top or red top.black top is duel VVT-I

there is also a BEAMS dual VVT-I head on the is200(1g-fe) in japan, known as a Qualitat which has a Yamaha tuned head

hm ta well ya learn something new every day ;)

I'm, suprised that yamaha did work on some of the less performance oriented engines (ge's and fe's), I'd assumed they were they heavly cavelry called in to get the most out of the turbo'd ones!

theres so many versions of the 1G its silly :lol:

Is the Soarer the only one with this setting?

Any others like the supra or gt4 that this can be done on?

only the supra and soarer (basically cars with TEMS) . I strongly doubt if it indeed does anything other than the TEMS firm mod... all this 30bhp stuff is just a rumour though.

someone try it on a soarer, im sure you'd be able to feel 30bhp extra if indeed it does do anything.

chasers do it tooooooooooo :D

I think :blink:

erm... maybe :lol::wacko:

if ever you needed an "improbable" that you get an extra 30 horses argument.... -thats it :lol::lol::lol:

the big question is mate.... are your turbos sequential or bi :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links