Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Vvt-i T3-x 4-dr Auto

hmmm

Greetings All,

I'm considering buying a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i T3-X 4-Dr auto, used, on 05. Anyone have any expriences and advice on this model i.e being practical for family of 4, the mpg and also are there any known problems? and also what are their service costs? This will be my first toyota.

Kind regards.

:thumbsup::rolleyes:

Greetings All,

I'm considering buying a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i T3-X 4-Dr auto, used, on 05. Anyone have any expriences and advice on this model i.e being practical for family of 4, the mpg and also are there any known problems? and also what are their service costs? This will be my first toyota.

Kind regards.

I have that car on a 53 plate but in manual, in my opinion the t3-x is better than the t3-s as you get loads of toys in place of the satnav which as I understand it wasn't very good anyway. Mine has had both front head light clusters changed as there was a fault where they would overheat and melt, luckily in my case just causing a fail on the MOT and not a fire. Also had the bottom end of the engine replaced as the 1.8's had problems with drinking too much oil, this was done last month under a 5 year warranty extension from toyota. So if your buying an older one check the oil, if it is drinking it (mine was 1.2l every 1000 miles) then take it straight back for the repair. Apart from that mine drives fantastic if a little slugish on motor way runs.

I'm sure you won't regret a toyota though as other than the few unlucky things I have had all covered by warranty extensions the build quality of the car is far far better than either my mk4 gof GTI or my previous Octavia Sport

Greetings All,

Kind regards.

I have that car on a 53 plate but in manual, in my opinion the t3-x is better than the t3-s as you get loads of toys in place of the satnav which as I understand it wasn't very good anyway. Mine has had both front head light clusters changed as there was a fault where they would overheat and melt, luckily in my case just causing a fail on the MOT and not a fire. Also had the bottom end of the engine replaced as the 1.8's had problems with drinking too much oil, this was done last month under a 5 year warranty extension from toyota. So if your buying an older one check the oil, if it is drinking it (mine was 1.2l every 1000 miles) then take it straight back for the repair. Apart from that mine drives fantastic if a little slugish on motor way runs.

I'm sure you won't regret a toyota though as other than the few unlucky things I have had all covered by warranty extensions the build quality of the car is far far better than either my mk4 gof GTI or my previous Octavia Sport

Hi,

The car I'm looking into is a 05 plate so hopefuly they've ironed out the headlights problem. Also what is you average mpg on the manual?

Regards

Greetings All,

Kind regards.

Hi,

The car I'm looking into is a 05 plate so hopefuly they've ironed out the headlights problem. Also what is you average mpg on the manual?

Regards

Well since having the bottom end replaced it seems a lot better, the computer is showing an average of 50 although trying to work it out I would say probably about the rated 38. do 32 miles a day with half of that on the motorway and half of that on b roads.

I have 1.8 auto, it does very good MPG on long 40+ mile motorway journeys at constant 70mph - about 42 MPG calculated.

However on my normal commute I can only squeeze about 34 MPG on non congested roads (6.45am) and that is !Removed! footing, eco driving, avoiding brakes anticipating and coasting where ever possible and keeping to 50-55 mph on the short stretch of motorway I use.

Driving normally it drops to about 30 MPG. I haven't had the nerve to drive hard in it yet.

I have 1.8 auto, it does very good MPG on long 40+ mile motorway journeys at constant 70mph - about 42 MPG calculated.

However on my normal commute I can only squeeze about 34 MPG on non congested roads (6.45am) and that is !Removed! footing, eco driving, avoiding brakes anticipating and coasting where ever possible and keeping to 50-55 mph on the short stretch of motorway I use.

Driving normally it drops to about 30 MPG. I haven't had the nerve to drive hard in it yet.

Hi uumode,

That sounds ok but I don't think I can manage that sort of mpg living 2 miles from city of london. Anyway still considering buy this car but first go through more reviews.

Regards. :thumbsup:

I have the above car as well but mine is an 03 manual. I've had it for 4 months now and I'm very happy with it so far, especially as I had an Astra before and just wanted something more reliable. My local mechanic recommended Toyota so I thought why not let's see if Japanese cars are really more reliable. I've done 3.5k in it so far and it drives very well, not as powerful as the 1.8 Astra that I had before and it does seem a little sluggish on motorways. Other than that it drives very well and the oil level is the same as when I got it and have not had to put a drop into it. All in all I'm very happy although in hindsight I would have gone for the 2.2 D4D model had I had more time.

Regards

Don101

HI mate,

I have an Avensis 2003,T4,2.00 litre VVTi ,auto Semi-sequential and I have to say it is very good car compare to others in the same class and you can get good toys in it such as colour sat nav built-in.Mine is about 104000 miles and running very well.Mpg is very depends from how you driving.On the motorway is gonna be ok but in the town(London or other) you will get propbaly below 30 mpg.I would recommend manual rather than automatic because automatic can use 1 litre more petrol per 62 miles at least.

Headlamps I had change under warranty as other guys so and you can change.I have also heard about 1.8 VVTI engines that they using a lot of oil which 2.00 litre not.

Decision is yours, this is perfect car for family as I have 2+1 and is capable to take a lot stuff into it. I have to also mention that I was in Poland at Baltic coast and the only thing to worry about was petrol,hehe.

Best

Good luck

Wojciech

I have what you're considering buying on a 53 plate and have owned it for over 3 years. Before this car I had a Mercedes E240 auto. There are four in my family and I've driven it to mainland Europe on holidays with 4 up, boot full of luggage and bicycles on a bike rack and it coped and handled without a problem, giving 40mpg on motorways.

Good points:

Easy and comfortable to drive, on motorway or town - I can drive for hours without feeling tired

Auto box - very smooth, seamless changes

No oil usage

40mpg on motorway

30'ish mpg around town

Comfortable for passengers

Good road grip - Bridgestone tyres

Quiet cruiser

Solid build quality

Reliable

No rattles

Bad points:

Dumped coolant due to incorrectly fitted pipe from factory - luckily no engine damage

Squealing brakes when coming to stop - shim fix from Toyota

So so styling

Can't get 3 kids seats in the back

Really, really bad light from dipped headlamps

Servicing costs from Toyota a lot less than Mercedes!

Good luck

I have what you're considering buying on a 53 plate and have owned it for over 3 years. Before this car I had a Mercedes E240 auto. There are four in my family and I've driven it to mainland Europe on holidays with 4 up, boot full of luggage and bicycles on a bike rack and it coped and handled without a problem, giving 40mpg on motorways.

Good points:

Easy and comfortable to drive, on motorway or town - I can drive for hours without feeling tired

Auto box - very smooth, seamless changes

No oil usage

40mpg on motorway

30'ish mpg around town

Comfortable for passengers

Good road grip - Bridgestone tyres

Quiet cruiser

Solid build quality

Reliable

No rattles

Bad points:

Dumped coolant due to incorrectly fitted pipe from factory - luckily no engine damage

Squealing brakes when coming to stop - shim fix from Toyota

So so styling

Can't get 3 kids seats in the back

Really, really bad light from dipped headlamps

Servicing costs from Toyota a lot less than Mercedes!

Good luck

Greetings all,

Some very intresting responces and also very encouraging reviews, I have until the 8th of this month to decide. I also plan to drive to the south of france this year with excess baggage (the family) looking forward to it without any motoring problems. As I have already mentioned I'd most probebly go for an auto as I want to just take it easy. 40mpg on petrol (highway) is not so bad, but living in city of london, the car most probebly will be thirsty. But having said that the insurance savings will be great as I'm group 14 at the moment. Group 7? correct me if I'm wrong. Also Tax wiil be higher at around £210?...so I guess a bit like the chancellor cut tax in one area and increase in another!

Regards and thanks. :D

Positive for me

- fast off the line (no hesitant throttle)

- good low down torque

- doors shut beautifully, mechanically and most importantly sonically

- interior uses highest quality materials of any Toyota

- I personally do like the 'executive' styling compared to 'family hatch' styling

- very safe, even has knee bag

- lots of features, split climate, decent stereo sound with more than adequate bass, folding and heated mirrors, auto dim mirror, auto intermittent wipers

- no rattles in dash, which is pretty solid

- massive boot

- cheap insurance bracket

- cheap servicing

- a poor man's Lexus

- taxi drivers use them (so should be reliable)

Negatives

- rear headroom poor for adults (considering the size of the car)

- poor headlights, though this is fixed if you change bulbs to Philips Xtreme light bulbs

- I have rattling hatch tailgate

- rattling suspension only on certain rutted surfaces (known issue) that I need to cure under warranty

- my car has developed a thum/droning noise at about 2000 rpm = 35-40mph /50-55mph

- taxi drivers use them

Positive for me

- fast off the line (no hesitant throttle)

- good low down torque

- doors shut beautifully, mechanically and most importantly sonically

- interior uses highest quality materials of any Toyota

- I personally do like the 'executive' styling compared to 'family hatch' styling

- very safe, even has knee bag

- lots of features, split climate, decent stereo sound with more than adequate bass, folding and heated mirrors, auto dim mirror, auto intermittent wipers

- no rattles in dash, which is pretty solid

- massive boot

- cheap insurance bracket

- cheap servicing

- a poor man's Lexus

- taxi drivers use them (so should be reliable)

Negatives

- rear headroom poor for adults (considering the size of the car)

- poor headlights, though this is fixed if you change bulbs to Philips Xtreme light bulbs

- I have rattling hatch tailgate

- rattling suspension only on certain rutted surfaces (known issue) that I need to cure under warranty

- my car has developed a thum/droning noise at about 2000 rpm = 35-40mph /50-55mph

- taxi drivers use them

So I guess you hate taxi drivers or do they make the car look cheap! :lol:

neither :)

Makes me feel a little embarassed if I get mistaken for a taxi :rolleyes:

My other car is also a taxi :(

Hi im one of those taxi drivers aswell, BUT hey im white.... have been told of by other taxi drivers for driving an avensis, as im the wrong colour, but hey its a fab car mines the petrol semi auto 2.0 53 plate, so does about 26mpg around town..... but.. i love it, it drives like a wet dream which never ends. i do have to shout at people for slamming the doors, they shut so smoothly and quitely that people re open them and slam them as they think they didnt shut, and the boot you can drop from approx 2 inch's and it still closes perfectly.

wot a dream

Hi im one of those taxi drivers aswell, BUT hey im white.... have been told of by other taxi drivers for driving an avensis, as im the wrong colour, but hey its a fab car mines the petrol semi auto 2.0 53 plate, so does about 26mpg around town..... but.. i love it, it drives like a wet dream which never ends. i do have to shout at people for slamming the doors, they shut so smoothly and quitely that people re open them and slam them as they think they didnt shut, and the boot you can drop from approx 2 inch's and it still closes perfectly.

wot a dream

Good on you allen2502....I'm brown :thumbsup: but who cares you drive what you like it is a very pleasent car. Anyway back to my original posting whether to buy this car or not. Well, I've done my research and decided to go for the 2.0 desiel T-Spirit.....more economical (specially with the no end to the fuel price rises) but it's also less poluting hence less road tax. so back to the search engine..........to be continued! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links