Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Subwoofer/amp Wiring In Yaris

rich_py

Hi i'm new here so im unfamiliar with the forums etc but any help would be appreciated.

i am considering putting a subwoofer in the boot of my yaris, this sub has a built in amplifier and comes with the wiring kit, (link http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...00_p-21932.htm)

what i am unclear about it how to install the sub, i understand there needs to be a wire to the Battery and an earth wire etc but what i am trying to find out is how have some of you installed yours, where have you fed the wires through etc

also is it easy to do yourself, i have a kenwood head unit installed already, but currently on have the standard Speakers.

my yaris was manufactured in 2000

any help again would be much appreciated

cheers in advance

Rich

ok mate, i'm about to do some work in my sisters yaris and i'm doing almost the same as you.

1: with the bonnet up - disconnect negative on Battery. try and find a hole (pref somwhere behind the glovebox) where u can run the power cable into the car. once found feed the wire into the car. usually ends up behind the glovebox or behind all the carpet in the footwell. with the other end of the power cable (the end still under bonnet) connect the fuse holder and fuse and make sure its all ready to be connected to the Battery (but dont connect it just yet!)

2: with the power cable in the car u now need to feed it under the passenger side door sills and into the back. if u got a 5 door, hide it under the rear door sills too then under the rear seats and into the boot. if 3 door then feed it from the door sills to the back, under the seats and into the boot. (thats the power cable done)

3: u now need to run the RCA (red/black) cable and remote wire to the back. do this the same way u did the power cable but run it on the drivers side! it will be easiest to do this by removing the headunit and starting the cables from the front then pass them to the back of the centre console, then feed them over the steering column making sure its not going to interupt anything operating. then run it down the door sills and into the boot.

4: u now want to find the earth point in your boot somewhere. so get the carpet up in the boot and look for a bolt that is bolted to the chassis. there is always something u can use. when u find something sand it down to expose bare metal then connect ur earth wire to it making sure it touches the bare metal.

5: now your ready to connect all the wires to your units.

Head unit: plug in your RCA cable into the subwoofer RCA sockets on your head unit (red to red, black to black)

connect the remote wire to the remote wire on ur head unit. (this is a blue wire that will be coming out of the head unit but wont be connected to anything - it may even be labelled)

Amp: plug in the RCA cable into the RCA input on ur amp (red to red and black to black)

connect the remote wire to the remote connection on ur amp

connect the earth cable to the earth connection on ur amp

and finally connect the power to the power connection on ur amp

last thing to connect is the power cable to the Battery and negative to the battery so that the car has power again.

now push ur head unit back in and turn the key in the ignition and listen to ur choons!

cheers for the replys thank you especially for the detailed reply i had been told that i would have no choice but to drill holes to feed the wires through but im glad u said they can be feed through near the glove box. Regarding the second comment that exactly do u mean rear shocks etc i am far from up on car lingo sorry

I earth'd my amp on the bolt behind the rear lights mate, just a clip cover that u take off and stick it on there.

cheers again for that bit of information, much appreciated, i'll have a quick look at the rear lights for the earthing

even though this is slightly off topic i thought i would ask, it if it worth replacing the standard door Speakers and tweeters or will they be sufficient if the are only really handling the non-bassy sounds which will be going to the sub?

i can get a half decent sound through them at the moment (withou the sub wired in) and thats handling the full range eg bass, high etc but im thinking in terms of loudness they may distort?

any ideas?

again would be much appreciated

my door Speakers wernt too bad, still got them in, but changing the dash Speakers made a big difference for me - for clarity, so id say its worth changing them...i aint bothered with door ones yet as you can get problems somtimes with them catching against the window unless you get an adapter

change them to a coaxial 2/3 way speaker (any speaker with a built in tweeter). its cheaper than getting components and you'll get much better vocals than what you'd get with the standard paper cone Speakers.

Alpine type E stuff is really good and as its made to run of the head unit you should have no probs. sony's are prob the cheapest, but you dont get much in terms of sound quality.

Alpine's Type E is prob the best budget stuff i've used. i'm gonna try some JBL Speakers in the car this time to see how that goes. apparantly they run at 2 ohm so draw double the power than that of a 4 ohm speaker.

but if you want a good speaker that you'll prob neva have to change, then get the Alpine's.

• 2 months later...
ok mate, i'm about to do some work in my sisters yaris and i'm doing almost the same as you.

1: with the bonnet up - disconnect negative on battery. try and find a hole (pref somwhere behind the glovebox) where u can run the power cable into the car. once found feed the wire into the car. usually ends up behind the glovebox or behind all the carpet in the footwell. with the other end of the power cable (the end still under bonnet) connect the fuse holder and fuse and make sure its all ready to be connected to the battery (but dont connect it just yet!)

2: with the power cable in the car u now need to feed it under the passenger side door sills and into the back. if u got a 5 door, hide it under the rear door sills too then under the rear seats and into the boot. if 3 door then feed it from the door sills to the back, under the seats and into the boot. (thats the power cable done)

3: u now need to run the RCA (red/black) cable and remote wire to the back. do this the same way u did the power cable but run it on the drivers side! it will be easiest to do this by removing the headunit and starting the cables from the front then pass them to the back of the centre console, then feed them over the steering column making sure its not going to interupt anything operating. then run it down the door sills and into the boot.

4: u now want to find the earth point in your boot somewhere. so get the carpet up in the boot and look for a bolt that is bolted to the chassis. there is always something u can use. when u find something sand it down to expose bare metal then connect ur earth wire to it making sure it touches the bare metal.

Head unit: plug in your RCA cable into the subwoofer RCA sockets on your head unit (red to red, black to black)

connect the remote wire to the remote wire on ur head unit. (this is a blue wire that will be coming out of the head unit but wont be connected to anything - it may even be labelled)

Amp: plug in the RCA cable into the RCA input on ur amp (red to red and black to black)

last thing to connect is the power cable to the battery and negative to the battery so that the car has power again.

now push ur head unit back in and turn the key in the ignition and listen to ur choons!

• 1 year later...

does anyone know where there is an earth near the passenger footwell? ive installed my amp under the glovebox

does anyone know where there is an earth near the passenger footwell? ive installed my amp under the glovebox

sorry please delete duplicate post

• 2 months later...

Hi thanks for the guide, the first problem is the hole to the back of the glovebox.

theres just a load of plastic in the way after I took out the glovebox?

And what hole do I use from the engine firewall?

the 'upside down teardrop' shaped one? And what is the best way to turn it into a hole if it is??

Here are a couple of pics ive taken so you can see clearer:

yarisbattery.jpg

Plastic jungle with no visible hole??

yarisgloveboxhole.jpg

Please help!

Hi thanks for the guide, the first problem is the hole to the back of the glovebox.

theres just a load of plastic in the way after I took out the glovebox?

And what hole do I use from the engine firewall?

the 'upside down teardrop' shaped one? And what is the best way to turn it into a hole if it is??

Here are a couple of pics ive taken so you can see clearer:

yarisbattery.jpg

Plastic jungle with no visible hole??

yarisgloveboxhole.jpg

Please help!

in your first photo there i pierced a hole in the gromit and fed the wire through and i eventually found it floating about on the other side, if you can get someone to help you wiggle the wire about from the other side you might catch a glimpse of it always helps :)

• Like 1

cheers rory, what did you use to pierce the hole? as in does it matter if theres a tiny gap will water leak through??

and did you make the hole just anywhere in the grommet or where there are already small bung looking things that stick out a bit? - they look like theyre supposed to be for holes but dont seem to come out?

I literally just pierced a whole next to the big wire coming out (on the sort of rubber thing), if you don't make it to big and just squeeze the wire through you wont need anything covering it but if you make the hole too big you'd probably be best getting some kind of cap to put over the gap just incase.

good luck bud, you'll notice the difference with a sub my car shakes when its right up and i have a wee cheap sub lol lavvv ittttt

• 3 years later...

Hey y'all! I'm over here in texas tryin' to find a hole in the firewall for my power line. I'm drivin' a 2012 Yaris 4 door if that helps. If y'all have any suggestions, please let me know. I'll be looking around the glovebox until then. Thanks.

I have an older 2008 Yaris and avoided going through the firewall by finding a suitable place to pick-up power inside the cabin. In my case it was a feed from a 40A fuse (to do with heating I think) in a fuse box under the glove box. (I did add some pics to a thread here, but it's buried in the site history now I think).

I know the 2012 will be different (and yours is presumably LHD US spec as well) but if you can access a wiring diagram it might be easier than trailing a heavy cable into and around the engine bay.

• 2 years later...
On 01/08/2008 at 0:41 AM, howard1982 said:
shakman87 said:

1: with the bonnet up - disconnect negative on battery. try and find a hole (pref somwhere behind the glovebox) where u can run the power cable into the car. once found feed the wire into the car. usually ends up behind the glovebox or behind all the carpet in the footwell. with the other end of the power cable (the end still under bonnet) connect the fuse holder and fuse and make sure its all ready to be connected to the battery (but dont connect it just yet!)

last thing to connect is the power cable to the battery and negative to the battery so that the car has power again.

Just seeing if you could help I'm about to do the same thing but my head unit doesn't have an rca input so do you know what kind of adapter I would need?

• 2 years later...

SO I just bought a 2018 ia and would like to transfer my subs and amp into it. Does anyone know how I would do that when it has the tablet as the stereo ? 

Thanks 

image.jpg

Toyota Owners Club is a UK based club. Europe doesn't have the Yaris IA on sale. The IA is quite different to the European Yaris, being based on the Mazda2, and built by Mazda for Toyota.

You would be better accessing Toyota Owners Club for the US and Canada - https://us.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

I went for an under the seat subwoofer, due to the boot being tiny to start with:) This 150watt Pioneer works great attached to my double din unit and it weirdly gets power from my headunit so all i did was earth it and plug the appropriate wires into my head unit, oh and it fits great under drivers chair. Piece of cake😉

20190216_155455.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links