Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With A Hybrid

Lou

Hey there, ive had my rev2 turbo for 7 months now and im really enjoying it (previous cars, pug 205 mi16 and a Fiat coupe turbo) Had a problem a few months ago and suspected the turbo was faulty so i sent the turbo away for inspection and was told it needed reconditioning. So i decided to get a hybrid while i was at it. Turned out it was the airflow meter that was knackered :angry: I dont know if i am getting any more performance from the new turbo than the std one. What would i need to do to the car to get some benefit without spending £100000000000's ?

Cheers

Lou

first off ..

With an AFM I take it it's a Gen2 gte block .. what stage is the hybrid you bought?

What level of boost are you running?

who was the company?

If you get a boost guage, FCD and G-valve .. you can get up to ~270bhp @ 16 psi ..

i think the company was ITS turbos, but i think they got the turbo from somewhere else as they had to make some phone calls when i asked about getting a hybrid. Would that power be possible with std internals? Ive removed the cat and have a mongoose exhaust. What is a G-valve?

G-Valve - Granier Valve or Ball & sprint valve .. it does the same job as a bleed valve .. but better. Can be picked up for £30-40.

And FCD will protect the ECU .. speak to MattMR2 on here, he works for Rogue systems and they are making a nice version for this .. available in the new year. think they are in the £50 bracket.

For an early engine on stock internals 280 seems to be the limit, 330 for the latter cars (rev3+).

If you look through the past threads .. I got 250 bhp out of mine at a dyno day the other weekend. and I'm on stock turbo/internals and manual boost controler (g-valve) running 14 psi ..

i think the company was ITS turbos, but i think they got the turbo from somewhere else as they had to make some phone calls when i asked about getting a hybrid. Would that power be possible with std internals? Ive removed the cat and have a mongoose exhaust. What is a G-valve?

A G-valve is a manual boost controller.....you could get nd ebc (electronic boost vontroller) as well if you would rarther control boost from the inside of the car and have multiple boost settings...obviously an ebc is more $$. 500hp is possible on an un-opened 3sgte but that's borderline etc......just wind up the boost to 15 or 16 psi and enjoy :) assuming your mr is in in resonable order it will love it.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Thanks for your help guys, i guess the fueling will be ok if i just put the boost up and get the fuel cut defender? How easy are they to fit and is it a pain to put in a boost gauge? Did one on my fiat but that just threaded through the bulkhead really easily.

500hp is possible on an un-opened 3sgte but that's borderline etc

True .. I was thinking back to stock turbo/cooling .. with a good IC or better a charge cooler (off a GT4) and a good hybrid .. you will be laughing ..

The boost guage is easy .. just need a LOT of hose (found washer hose from Holfords to be good) .. "I've got Ho's"

FCD is easy too .. just need to tap in two wires to the ground and 12v and then cut the boost wire and connect both ends to the fcd wires.

Sounds good, just need to sort out my airflow meter, need to get a recond one or second hand.....toyota want £570 for a new one :crybaby: then time for upgrades :D

Lou..you dont by any chance own a yellow mr2 Turbo?

And if your going to get work done off a Glasgow Toyota dealer get it done off Bishopbriggs Toyota ...thier labour charge is £42 for imports as opposed to £65 from Shields Toyota :wacko: (and they r pretty dodgy too).

Nope its a black GTS t-bar. Im in the RAF and im based near Birmingham at the moment but will be moving to kinloss in January but my folks live in Glasgow. Fitted the turbo myself and i think toyota quote about 24 hours for the labour alone!!!! Good to know that Bishopbriggs are cheaper for future reference!! Have you used AVA turbos before? I used them many years ago with my Suzuki Swift Gti.What are they charging these days?

Yea Ive been there m8.The goin rate is £60 quid. I RR'd mine there back when I bought the car late summer along with my RS Turbo which fortunatly didnt blow up(it has now tho lol)

Thing is they cant tell you the torque which is very annoying. Far as im concered its of equal importance. I tried to knock the price down by tellin em ill advertise them by slappin an AVA Badge on the back...they didnt buy it..buggers :)

I think ive seen your car b4 is it a T-bar 'GT' tubby with aftermarket wheels but on standard ride height?

Yeah you wouldn't find me attempting high hp on a un-opened engine, most people don't have funds to try it out :D

I think I mentioned this in one of the other post's, it's quite a nice option for those of you with afm's;

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/

You'll notice he use's an mr2 as an example too :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2