Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What A Day.....

SMiFFAD

Have spent 9 hours fitting my mongoose exhaust....come to the conclusion that god doesnt like me :angry:

Get to the workshop this morning, unwrap it all and have a look, first thing i notice is the de-cat pipe flanges are at an angle to each other, where as my cat has paralell flanges........not gonna fit! Then find out its a good 3" too short anyway.....2 hours later have maid my own de-cat pipe....much less hassle! (Fensport....your getting an e-mail on monday :arrgg-matey: )

THEN, remove the pipe that goes from manifold to cat (needed a small mod to fit my de-cat) all three nuts come streight off.....mod done, goes back on, nuts wind up fine.....then i realise iforgot to put the two gaskets back in so iot blowing like a gale :angry: starttaking the nuts back off and shear all three studs........some time, injuries and swearing later i drill them all out/tap give em new bolts......

The bleedin things blowing still as i didnt have any proper gaskets....job for another day.

On the flip side the goose sounds very nice :thumbsup:

Can anyone shed some light on the random cat replace ment pipe, are import and uk cats different? cos the one fensport sent me is definatly not meant for my car!

Anyway, feel like i have been run over so am going to sleep :blink:

Can anyone shed some light on the random cat replace ment pipe

On the j-spec MR2's the cat is on the same elbow as the the dp right..... so to replace the cat you can only do the whole dp I thought.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

True...NA has a seperate cat....actully I have one sitting in the garage from when I gutted the one on my G-limited years ago :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Yeh the cat is separate, runs paralell with the back box, ended up making two flanges and welding a bit of 2.5" gas pipe inbetween :thumbsup: may go into production..... :D

Hrm i had the same problems as you did m8, well the mechanic who fitted it for me...

Basically he told me that gaskets were missing, he had to make pipes, said something bout the CAT (prolly the same things u said), and there were a few more things he had to do.

Sorry about not gettin ne pictures up for ya m8, i got snowed under w. work so by the time i was finished it was already dark outside and i couldnt c owt.

One thing i wanna ask you...

Have u noticed a light loss in acceleration?

I've not reset my ecu yet, (gonna install spark plugs + leads first) so the settings mite still be from the previous %$(ed ones...

I think top end mite have improved as i got to 150 with a HEAVY car yesterday, coulda gone more cept i couldnt c **** so didnt wanna risk it...

I recall Ben sayin that free flowing exhausts increase torque further up the band, so would this be the reason for what im experiencing?

And good job doing it all yourself m8 :thumbsup: , i paid £137 in total :(

-Z

Hrm i had the same problems as you did m8, well the mechanic who fitted it for me...

Basically he told me that gaskets were missing, he had to make pipes, said something bout the CAT (prolly the same things u said), and there were a few more things he had to do.

Sorry about not gettin ne pictures up for ya m8, i got snowed under w. work so by the time i was finished it was already dark outside and i couldnt c owt.

One thing i wanna ask you...

Have u noticed a light loss in acceleration?

I've not reset my ecu yet, (gonna install spark plugs + leads first) so the settings mite still be from the previous %$(ed ones...

I think top end mite have improved as i got to 150 with a HEAVY car yesterday, coulda gone more cept i couldnt c **** so didnt wanna risk it...

I recall Ben sayin that free flowing exhausts increase torque further up the band, so would this be the reason for what im experiencing?

And good job doing it all yourself m8 :thumbsup: , i paid £137 in total :(

-Z

This free flowing exhausts kill power lower down a touch but improve them top end....

As for doing it myself, should have been a piece of *****, 4 bolts shuld have come out, four back in...........but:

- Unwrap exhaust, no gaskets.....

- car on ramp, ralise cat fanges in wrong place,

- remove old exhaust - required one cat bolt to be gassed out,

- fit new back box and find cat not only wrong shape but 3" too short....

- make up new de-cat pipe out of some 5mm plate and 2.5" gas pipe......(mmmmm2 1/4" drill bit :wacko: )

- remove mani/ct pipe for slight mod to fit cutom de-cat pipe.....mod....refit...not a problem.

- realsise have left out ring gaskets from this pipe, start to remove....all three nuts seize....two snap close to the mani one snaped long enough to get a nut back on.

- Spend 3 hours drillingout the shorter two, with blund drill bits and every drill i find dead....

- put pipe back on, tighted up the two new bolts, fine, put nut on old sud, SNAP :angry:

*falls to floor after 6 hours with no food about to cry*

- removes pipe again, hour spent drillingout/tapping last hole, re-fit pipe....

- bolt it all back together and start it, blowing again :crybaby:

- un bolt it all and sear gasket paste everywhere....not the best job but works till i can work out where to get gaskets from.....

On the whole very un-impressed with the cat side, the flanges are in the wrong place, ****** and the whole things too short! :ffs:

Cant fault the actual exhaust, fits like a glove and sounds good. :thumbsup:

Chimp: mallet was used sparingly...managed to shear enough studs without it :angry:

Will get some piccys of it and my home made de-cat up later....

This is what the de-cats supposed to look like!

catpipe.jpg

Taken from the fensport site......they have a picture of the right one but dont send them out :ffs: gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ill let them off...they are sending me a new (correct) cat and gaskets...and have promised physical pain to who ever sent it out!

Would appear the cats changed post 94...and mine ad a later exhaust on it for some reason!

The mystery has been unravelled.........

Dont know quite how but they managed to send me a de-cat pipe for a............nissan 200sx (my old car - thought it looked familier!) All being sorted and the right bits on their way B)

SMiFFAD,

I have found a place on the nte that do them for £351 including delivery.

How much was your exhaust from Fensport with gold discount and shippping?

Including however much gold discount costs....

So Gold+Exhaust+vat+shipping=?

If you don't mind, ta, John.

That was quite the ***** up now wasnt it?

Well i'm glad u managed to get it sorted out alrite in the end m8.

I 4got to add that the bolts 4 the exhaust manifolt snapped, so he had to drill em out and rethread them.

Also the prev owner of my car had completely mucked up the exhaust sytem. Somehow they'd broken it, then patched it up, welded it like ****...

Also the bit that has the flexi pipe on it was unusable, so i had to order one off Rogue (cheers matt ;))

cept i didnt know til it came to fitting that it was the wrong pipe, it was for the CAT model... So basically pipe was different length to what i needed, also got a new flexi bit as this one was alittle worn... so as you can c the mechanic had quite a job welding and grafting everything together.

And!... is the de-cat the same size and fitting of the regular cat? So come MOT-time I can just change the cats around instead of the whole exhaust.

Yep the cat replacement pipe its the same size....just bolts in!