Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ecu Upgrades Or Pulley Upgrades..

kangzy

hi guys!

just got back from spain and iv been doin some thinking about wat to do next to my compressor

comestically the car is nearly done.. (ordered my tte bumper so just waiting to fit it) so now i wana focus on engine mods.. after getting some coilovers!

although the custom exhuaust and k&n filter gives it the extra kick im still looking for more power.

aftering talking to my mate the next logical step is either a new pulley or a ecu upgrade.

the pulley option..although it sounds good im not to sure how it will effect the reliability of the car so im swaying towards the ecu upgrade

i know alot of u guys have talking about the apexi fc.. but its abit to pricy to be honest and i worried about the mpg as it is stuck on the "sport" setting 24/7 unless retuned.

sooo.. have you guys heard of the "uni chip" or "piggy back" which works off the current ecu. This sounds alot better as it engages or kicks in after a certain amount of revs for better performance and allows you get same economy at lower revs?

any experiences of opinions?

and wat power can our standard internals take before it needs to be forged?

any opinions would be most welcome as it would help me make my decision.

cheers

shaun

hi guys!

just got back from spain and iv been doin some thinking about wat to do next to my compressor

comestically the car is nearly done.. (ordered my tte bumper so just waiting to fit it) so now i wana focus on engine mods.. after getting some coilovers!

although the custom exhuaust and k&n filter gives it the extra kick im still looking for more power.

aftering talking to my mate the next logical step is either a new pulley or a ecu upgrade.

the pulley option..although it sounds good im not to sure how it will effect the reliability of the car so im swaying towards the ecu upgrade

i know alot of u guys have talking about the apexi fc.. but its abit to pricy to be honest and i worried about the mpg as it is stuck on the "sport" setting 24/7 unless retuned.

sooo.. have you guys heard of the "uni chip" or "piggy back" which works off the current ecu. This sounds alot better as it engages or kicks in after a certain amount of revs for better performance and allows you get same economy at lower revs?

any experiences of opinions?

and wat power can our standard internals take before it needs to be forged?

any opinions would be most welcome as it would help me make my decision.

cheers

shaun

What custom exhaust have you got? Im thinking about getting powerflow...do reckon i'll get good increase in power?

Cheers

Heran

lighter pulley reduce the inertia, which reduce the burden of the engine,

if i am correct, a ligter pulley can increase the torque of ur car

got a custom exhaust from a extreme perfromance in essex.. good job to! gives a good kick to!

so a lighter pulley is better then? with no side effects on the reliability?

any suggestion on where to buy from?

got a custom exhaust from a extreme perfromance in essex.. good job to! gives a good kick to!

so a lighter pulley is better then? with no side effects on the reliability?

any suggestion on where to buy from?

certainly, lighter pulley is better. i have checked. it increase horsepower, increase Low rpm acceleration

as far as i know it doesnt affect reliability (same size as standard one, but made in better quality and lighter metal)

for a Honda car, standard pulley is 2.04kg, Summit lightwheel pulley is 0.66kg

if i remember correctly C-ONE , trd, Cusco, Summit do pulley for Tsport

check Fensport, they may sell it

I wouldent bother with a pulley as to really get the benefit you would need to balance the crank. You do run the risk of increased vibrational issues which could be fatal.

Charger pulley; again this would be messing with the boost. IMO you really need an intercooler to see any real benefits, otherwise you run the risk of the mixture running too hot and combined with the high C/R, you run the risk of increased pinking/det.

The other issue is how far the ECU is mapped for boost. I would imagine that it would go into limp home mode if it runs anything other than stock boost.

Dastek are piggy back ECU's which isnt really a good idea. Someone off here Gary (K19NE_G) booked into get this done on his CTS and was unable, but cant remember the reason.

Apexi seems to be the ECU of choice, but there is always DTA. May be worth taking a look over on NewCelica as they have a map database for all the different ECUs/NA/Charger combinations.

HTH

if you have the kite for an ECU - go for it. as for pulleys causing the engine to skake themselves to death - i'm not convinced. the crank is balanced on its own in the factory so changing the pulleys shouldnt effect that. if the cranks where "fully balanced" then changing the pulleys could have a bad effect.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links