Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres - Wrong Size

mark.wallace@mawallace1.d

It has just been pointed out to me that I have had the wrong tyes on my Avensis for at least the last two years!

the tyres I have got are 195/65/15 while I should have 195/60/15

Question- Why I have noticed any problems with the performence of the car with the wrong tyres??

Why you haven't you mean?

The difference in rolling radius between 65 and 60 profile is almost insignificant.

You may have very slightly better ride, very slightly worse handling, but not enough to make any difference at all in practice.

The difference will have affected your speedometer very slightly. But they normally are on the conservative side, so yours is probably just about spot on. Check it against a Sat Nav on a straight road if possible.

Why you haven't you mean?

The difference in rolling radius between 65 and 60 profile is almost insignificant.

You may have very slightly better ride, very slightly worse handling, but not enough to make any difference at all in practice.

The difference will have affected your speedometer very slightly. But they normally are on the conservative side, so yours is probably just about spot on. Check it against a Sat Nav on a straight road if possible.

Si are you saying I would be going faster with the 65 profile tyres compared with the 60 profile tyres? What about mpg?

The speedo will under-read because your wheels are larger diameter so turn fewer times for any given speed.

The difference can be calculated very easily on any tire size calculator (do a search on Google) but I think you'll be within the 2% variance from standard that most people say should be the limit.

As for MPG - you might get slightly better mpg because again at any actual speed your engine will be turning a few percent more slowly but the difference will be negligible. However, your odometer will also be under-reading very slightly so for example when it says 100 miles you may have done slightly more - 102 for example. So it'll more likely look as if your mpg has fallen if you calculate it using the odometer value.