Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Replacement

simonwhittle

:unsure: I am thinking about replacing the timing belt on my 1.8 99 Avensis very soon, by myself. Although I have replaced timing belts on other makes I wish to know whether or not I am crazy in even thinking about this :help: I can assess this if anyone out there has an actual Toyota worksheet or a recent edition of the Autodata 'Timing Belts' publication.

Here's hoping.

1.8 7A-FE?

If so, the Haynes Manual for the Carina E will do the trick. I don't imagine it would be too difficult having looked at mine. Space is fairly restricted on that side of the engine, but not as much as when in the carina e. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

I will take a look at this manual, however I have had a telephone quote from the Toyota dealer and they say it will cost £162.00 all in :P

I will probably still have a go though!

Thanks

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

please let a toyota dealer do your cam belt, its a very long

job up to four or five hours and its not easey, plus with

toyota its all garenteed.

all the best ,gee.

I deffo would not do it yourself but would recommend a good independent garage rather than toyota. Just had my 63,000 mile service done and cam belt (W reg Avensis 1.8). Toyota wanted £340 but got it all done for £220 at a really good independant garage.

It took all day because its fiddly and you have to take the air con out to get at it so would not try it yourself!!!

• 1 month later...

I know recent Avensis engines don't use timing belt. Can someone please tell me whether a 51 reg 2.0 petrol uses timing belt or chain?

I know recent Avensis engines don't use timing belt. Can someone please tell me whether a 51 reg 2.0 petrol uses timing belt or chain?

Depends on the engine type. The latest Avensis (T25) uses the ZZ series of engines with chains (great for me :P ). Here is a link to the various engine types in another topic:

Engine Models

PS the engine type is normally in the specifications chapter of the Owner's manual

...the ZZ series of engines with chains...

The same, but perhaps in a more simple way: if it's a VVT-i then it has a chain, if it's not, it has a belt.

The same, but perhaps in a more simple way: if it's a VVT-i then it has a chain, if it's not, it has a belt.

Are you sure? I thought that all the ZZ engines were chains.

As I said - it's almost the same - the ZZ series are engines with VVT-i or VVTL-i (except for one perhaps, but it wasn't used in Avensis). There were some non-ZZ engines with VVT-i (like in Yaris), but also never in Avensis, so even if those engines had a timing belt instead of a chain the rule stays (BTW, Yaris has a chain, there also were engines with chains but without VVT-i like the K, T, R or M series, but still this does not concern Avensis, read the link you gave) ;)

Thanks guys. Blackaven now has all the information he needs. I've checked the manual and confirmed the engine to be 1AZ-FSE, and thus, it uses chain. Cheers