Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gti 16 Narrow-port

RedNeck 92 Gti-16

Hey All!

I race an AE92 Corolla GTi 16, the latter narrow-port. Its a hire car, for stox racing. The last guy to hire it has seized the clutch. So it won't engage gears. I guess i need to get a replacement clutch. Unless anyone knows how to unseize the thing, can anyone tell me what sorts of clutch bits might fit, other than the standard. As i may be able to rip one out of another car, just to get the thing going!!

I'm a bit stuck!! :wacko:

Hey All!

I race an AE92 Corolla GTi 16, the latter narrow-port. Its a hire car, for stox racing. The last guy to hire it has seized the clutch. So it won't engage gears. I guess i need to get a replacement clutch. Unless anyone knows how to unseize the thing, can anyone tell me what sorts of clutch bits might fit, other than the standard. As i may be able to rip one out of another car, just to get the thing going!!

I'm a bit stuck!! :wacko:

Similar thing happened to one of mine, driving it and all of a sudden the pedal wouldn't disengage the clutch although the pedal hadn't dropped. Once the box was out it was more bearing/pressure plate trouble, it didn't actually need a new friction plate. So you might just get away with a pressure plate and release bearing. Though if it's all aprt may was well stcik all the right bits in, as for alternatives, I'm not sure though both Tvis and Hi Torq clutches are the same.

Thanks for the reply! :D

Thats helpful information. I haven't a clue what pressure plate i can use as an alternative to a new Gti one, it will be hard to find and fund. I have got an AE92 1.3 corolla sat doing nothing. I wonder if the clutch and/or gearbox would match up to the Gti's drive-shafts and all. Really i need a cheap solution to the problem.

hey brad,

if you get too stuck, i still have that clutch kit in my garage B)

Yay! Nice one. Thanks Jay, maybe sort me out a price! ;)

It would be a bit of nonsense, fitting a brand new clutch though, its a good kit!! Sounds stupid, but a part-worn clutch would be fine. It really doesn't have to be clever. the next driver will probably stove the thing!

Great fun though, the old 'rolla never fails to impress!!

I'm a bit rattled! Went racing at the weekend and ended up crashing my CRX head on into a spinning Suzuki Swift. I think the Swift's totalled, but the CRX only needs straightening!! Shame i'm not so strong!!

Like RedBull's said, i might not need a whole ctutch for the 'rolla, but i don't know untill i get the thing apart. There was a heavy smell of burnt clutch though and plenty of smoke too! Seems to be the Gti-16's weak spot, the driver!!

I'm still wondering if i couldnt wodge the 1.3 clutch in there.. Must of got a bang to the head, i dont know.. :blink:

I'm a bit rattled! Went racing at the weekend and ended up crashing my CRX head on into a spinning Suzuki Swift. I think the Swift's totalled, but the CRX only needs straightening!! Shame i'm not so strong!!

Like RedBull's said, i might not need a whole ctutch for the 'rolla, but i don't know untill i get the thing apart. There was a heavy smell of burnt clutch though and plenty of smoke too! Seems to be the Gti-16's weak spot, the driver!!

I'm still wondering if i couldnt wodge the 1.3 clutch in there.. Must of got a bang to the head, i dont know.. :blink:

If you weren't so far away I'd give you my old Gti clutch parts from when i swapped the box on my Gti to put an MR2 box in, I kept all the parts as I'm tight and hate throwing bits away ! The clutch was fine though as it was apart I put a new one in. No idea if the 1.3GL clutch will fit that you've got. Posting a clutch and pressure plate won't be cheap will it ?!

how about the clutch(whats left of it ) in the white corolla. the block and gearbox are still intact

Thanks again Jay! Youre a proper gentleman, i hadn't considered that old white Narrow-port, weren't you going to finish taking bits off? Not that theres much left! Poor old GTi.

Here on the Isle of Wight, all we get is sea air and more sea air!! Good for the lungs, but not for AE92 GTi's. Not only did that white 'un have the worst rot everywhere! Things had started to fail. The sunroof seized, the h/brake snapped and then the clutch blew up.. It was too much, so there she went. Great engine and a spanking set of clean wings, being more flared than standard 'rolla ones, they're defo worth keeping hold of.

Trouble is then, on the hire car Gti. I reckon that heat built up on the friction plate; 'cos of the driver slipping the clutch. Then the pressure plate warped and the friction plate expired. Either way, i think its only going to be the pressure plate thats any good, i'm not sure yet.

When the white Gti's clutch blew, it was at about 55-65 mph, the bell housing did an impression of a tumble dryer with slate and bricks in it! So i'm pretty sure, all thats left is pretty much b#ggered!! It would be good to have a look..

I guess i'm going to need a friction plate at least. Maybe i'll need a full kit, hopefully will have the hire car Gti's clutch apart this weekend so i'll know what i'm facing!

Thanks for the help, all info appreciated :D

always glad to help out,yea did want the block and box really but have been struggling to find a spare couple of hours to get there, if you do drop it out let us know buddy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links