Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 140, Engine Sound.

GazChap

The engine in my 2001 (X) Celica seems to be a bit noisy, but I don't know whether this is the noise it's supposed to make or what.

There's no clanking noises, it sounds like it might be knocking a little bit, but the engine does sound really loud when under acceleration.

Is the VVTi engine supposed to sound throaty in the Celica or does it sound like something might be wrong. I think my Celica had a total engine replacement at 50,000 miles or so (it's now done 75,000) so hopefully that's solved the oil problem.

They're fairly noisy under acceleration, but if you level out, they seem to quieten down. Is that the case with yours?

Yea mines weird under acceleration sounds like a wasp as my friend put it lol

Really quiet until you floor it and before you hit power band its sort of a metallic tappity noise is that what you mean?

Im thinking of getting an exhaust to overpower it ;)

one thing u can do is remove the noise reduction valve in the air box, it makes your car sound asif it has an induction kit makes it sound really nice and a deep sound under acceleration. and its really easy to do i think theres a link on here somewhere how to do it but u simply just pull it out.

I think my engine definitely has the oil consumption problem still, which is a bit of a pisser.

It's due its MOT in a month's time so I'm tempted to get an oil and coolant change done then, and perhaps get the engine short block replaced too. Any ideas what sort of money I'd be looking at for having that bit of the engine changed? I doubt there's any chance of getting Toyota to sort it out for nothing as I don't have a Toyota service history.

Unless I can get 'em under the Sale of Goods Act or something.

I don't have a Toyota service history.

Do you have any service history. Although FTSH is best when trying to claim on this sort of thing, it's possible that proof that the oil and filter changes were done at regular intervals by any competent garage might be enough to get them to resolve the issue. Got to be worth a go if you have that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links