Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1997 Timing Belt Just Been Changed?

ShamblesX

Hi all.

Just got back from the dealership after having an MOT and replacement timing belt for the wife's motor.

The timing belt change was my idea as the wife's 1997 RAV4 Edge 1998cc has just clocked 93K miles and I was told it was wearing.

Now, here's my problem.

I'm not sure whether the dealership has actually replaced the belt, despite me forking out £351 for it.

I was told the belt was badly worn by a local garage last Xmas when we took it for a new oil pump, as a matter of urgency. No time to wait for the main dealer to sort out (which we normally do with the Rav). The garage replaced the pump no problem.

What that garage did, however, was to misfit the belt cover by not engaging the lugs at the top. Also, the hardboard "cover" which protects the oil pump from the road, had 6 bolts attaching it to the underside near the sump. They'd obviously lost a bolt as one of the bolts was replaced with a plastic cable tie. I had no problem with that at the time.

Today, however, following this "belt replacement", the belt cover is still misplaced and that plastic cable tie is still there.

So I, with my sleuthing hat on, am suspicious that the main dealer has not done this work. Why would the belt cover remain displaced and why would that black plastic tie still be there?

So am I being paranoid? What should have been removed to replace this timing belt? When I booked it in [online] I got a call back saying it would be expensive, like a 4 hour jobby.

I'm starting to feel ripped off, and I intend to call them tomorrow to confirm what they have done.

Ideas anyone? On the bits that need taking off to replace that belt, that is ...?

Thanks for listening.

PS the marking on the engine is 3S-FE

Thanks

Thats a tough one.

If the cover under the engine had lost both the fixing bolt and the captive mating piece then it is not uncommon for somebody to use a tie wrap as a substitute. It also means that the dealer may have done the same. The question about the upper timing cover for me is what exactly is misplaced. If the cover is broken for example then it could be that it could not be correctly re-located whoever did it. I'm not making excuses for them and if they had done their job properly then they would rectify the two issues or at least ask you if you want it done.

If they haven't done the repair then that is unforgivable as well as illegal as the 3SFE is an interferance engine and will surely be wrecked if the belt breaks.

However, to save yourself any embarrassment you might like to take a measured approach and just ask them to explain the two issues. I think you can come to a better conclusion by listening to how good a job they do of it - you will probably tell if they are pulling the wool over your eyes. You can also diplomatically put it to them what the implications are of it not being done.

Alternatively a good garage should be able to prove or disprove your suspicion by looking at it.

Good luck

However, to save yourself any embarrassment you might like to take a measured approach and just ask them to explain the two issues.

It's true what I've read [and what they say] about you. Calm, concise and collected. Thanks anchorman.

If the cover under the engine had lost both the fixing bolt and the captive mating piece then it is not uncommon for somebody to use a tie wrap as a substitute. It also means that the dealer may have done the same. The question about the upper timing cover for me is what exactly is misplaced. If the cover is broken for example then it could be that it could not be correctly re-located whoever did it. I'm not making excuses for them and if they had done their job properly then they would rectify the two issues or at least ask you if you want it done.

Following that comment I've decided my approach will be different when I call them. I will not be confrontational, but rather ask them why a displaced cover would be replaced in the same [displaced] manner, following what is effectively a life-saving bit of surgery. I might omit the tie-wrap bit. Thanks once again.

However, to save yourself any embarrassment you might like to take a measured approach and just ask them to explain the two issues.

It's true what I've read [and what they say] about you. Calm, concise and collected. Thanks anchorman.

Following that comment I've decided my approach will be different when I call them. I will not be confrontational, but rather ask them why a displaced cover would be replaced in the same [displaced] manner, following what is effectively a life-saving bit of surgery. I might omit the tie-wrap bit. Thanks once again.

To ease your mind why not call at the dealer, voice your doubts, and ask if they can show you the one that they have replaced, yes i know they may have now disposed of it, or poss could show you one off anybodys motor, but sure you would feel better..notice you are in Manchester, so am i to take it it was one of the 7 RRG dealers, which surround us.. :unsure:

To ease your mind why not call at the dealer, voice your doubts, and ask if they can show you the one that they have replaced, yes i know they may have now disposed of it, or poss could show you one off anybodys motor, but sure you would feel better..notice you are in Manchester, so am i to take it it was one of the 7 RRG dealers, which surround us.. :unsure:

Yeah it was RRG Swinton

After thinking long and hard about this, I now believe there can be no way they wouldn't have changed this belt. The ramifications of having the Rav blow because of a fraudulent service would be too severe for their group.

"After thinking long and hard about this, I now believe there can be no way they wouldn't have changed this belt. The ramifications of having the Rav blow because of a fraudulent service would be too severe for their group"

It would be entirely reasonable to ask them why the upper timing cover doesn't seem to be located properly. If it is because it was damaged before they did the job it will at least make them check it was done and also proffer some explanation as to why they didn't rectify it or notify you of it.

IMO