Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sorry About Another Tyre Thread !

borodaz

hiya ppl, checked my tyres today and the front two are seriously in need for replacement.

ive heard ppl say eagle f1's (not sure who makes them) are great , can anyone back this up and price?

also has anyone recently purchased some decent tyres for dry and wet ? how much did they cost and where from ?

putting two brand new tyres on front of car and leaving the back two wont affect the handling will it ?

sorry about the questions ppl, just dont want to go and purchase the cheapest tyres as ive done with previous car :)

I believe they're made by Goodyear but I havent a clue where to buy and what the price is.

What I tend to do is buy 2 new tyres, stick them on the back and put my old ones on the front. Save the better ones for later :)

I shouldn't imagine it would effect the handling at all, As I have 2 brand new tyres on the front and seriously slick tyres on the back... Just have to make sure you dont loose the backend some how or you'll have a spinning good time :)... Whoops. (waiting for my alloys to come!)

Just found this though: http://www.tyresite.com/product.asp?P_ID=122

Just shop around and see where you could buy cheaper!

Key

yeh ive found the f1's for our car , £59 delivered im going to order them tomorrow and stick them on the front, think they will last 8k miles, so after the first 4k i will then put them on the back and get another two for the front.

goodyears f1's are very good for the money but do wear quite quick - my mate swears by them. considering putting them on me GXi when i get some wheels for it. you can of course get better, depends on how much you want to spend. i have used Bridgestone potenza so 3's for a few years now. good grip, very stiff sidewall and last well but they aint cheap. always put the new tyres on the rear.

As already said; Goodyear Eagle F1. There are two types:

GS-D2:

1315.jpg

GS-D3:

115.jpg

I always use Eagle F1 GS-D3's when mine need replacing. Excellent grip in the wet/dry and excellent life. I average about 12k miles per set.

For reference I paid about £80 per corner in 205/50/16.

HTH

Eagle F1s are very good.

But Toyo Proxes T1-Rs or Vredestein Sportrac 3s are very nearly as good, for a lot less cost.

And I can't seem to find Eagle F1s in the standard size either.....

I can't seem to find Eagle F1s in the standard size either.....

You wont; closest size is 205/50/16 which is the same rolling radius as the OE 195/45/16.

HTH

I put vredestein tyres sportrac 3 195 55 on the front of mine, class in the wet, good in the dry but i cant compare them to anything else. I had real crap yokes on the front before these, no grip from them, happy with what iv got now

As already said; Goodyear Eagle F1. There are two types:

GS-D2:

1315.jpg

GS-D3:

115.jpg

I always use Eagle F1 GS-D3's when mine need replacing. Excellent grip in the wet/dry and excellent life. I average about 12k miles per set.

For reference I paid about £80 per corner in 205/50/16.

HTH

guess the ones im looking at are the gs-d2 as theyre only 50 odd quid and im sure ive found them in the normal size.

think i averagea bout 7 to 8k miles a year so they sould last a bit.

oh and someone said to put them on the back ? why ?

It's better to have more grip on the back to stop you oversteering.

If you go round a corner too fast, and the back loses grip, it's a bit scary! The front losing grip isn't so bad.

It's better to have more grip on the back to stop you oversteering.

If you go round a corner too fast, and the back loses grip, it's a bit scary! The front losing grip isn't so bad.

+1

Unless you're really confident with controlling the back end when it steps out, new tyres always on the rear, even on WWD.

And those GS-D3s look tiny compared to the GS-D2 ;)

myself i think it's best to have new tyres on the drive wheels, so in our case the front, reducing understeer and also plenty of traction to help if the back does step out, but i'm findin it really hard to let the back end play out, the vsc just won't let you.

had the eagle F1's on my golf really good

mike

controlled the back end fairly easy when its decided to slide out a few times with the cheapo tyres i have on now so i think i shall put them on front and let them put all the power down onto the road, or a lot more power down than the tyres on at the moment :)

controlled the back end fairly easy when its decided to slide out a few times with the cheapo tyres i have on now so i think i shall put them on front and let them put all the power down onto the road, or a lot more power down than the tyres on at the moment :)

yes but with better tyres you will be going faster when the back steps out which can make it harder to control. i had an experience in my old GXi - with standard set-up the understeer to lift off oversteer was very easy to control. when i upgraded the complete suspension and tyres you got a lot less letting go unless on fast roundabouts and tight corners yet it was still fairly easy to control but happened much less.......... but on long sweeping bends? i was going that fast when the ar5e went i couldnt get it back and had to take avoidance measures followed by the car pirouetting down the road - only touching the road once every 360 degrees making the braking useless cos i was off the road. i finally stayed on the tarmac after around 6 spins round. i had very good tyres on all round with serious tread on them - if you want to put 5hite tyres on the rear..................

Another cracking tyre is the Toyo Proxes T1-R's Had them on my last few cars! A good site for tyes is www.blackcircles.com :) Just bought my T sport last friday and it came with brand new dunlop sport 3000A's all round will see how they perform.

If you're still going for them; I would deffo say go for 205/50/16.

They fit snug on the OE Wheel - Here's a pic of my previous CTS with 205/50/16 Eagle F1 GSD3's:

Image036.jpg

I am on these-Continental Contipremium-Contact 2, they're much quieter than the original Bridgestones, but they're not cheap. I paid about £80 each for them from Black Circles.com. Hopefully they will last for a good distance.

thx for the input ppl its good to get some opinions for next time round when i upgrade again.

thx for the input ppl its good to get some opinions for next time round when i upgrade again.

Daz, off topic this, did you get your Engine Management warning light sorted, and is the typhoon connection holding up?

yeh it was the wire, i extended wire with conector block and pushed the wire into the hole on the air sensor then put tape on to hold in place, dodgy i know but the air sensor looks imposible to open up to re-solder on its connection. engine management light has been off since and had no problems to date.

I am on these-Continental Contipremium-Contact 2, they're much quieter than the original Bridgestones, but they're not cheap. I paid about £80 each for them from Black Circles.com. Hopefully they will last for a good distance.

just had a complete set of the same don't seem to bad a tyre.

there not really a performance tyre. to say they aint too bad says it all really. to me £80 is cheap. i pay £100 a corner for Bridgestone Potenza SO3 "pole position" and you can really tell the difference in them.

there not really a performance tyre. to say they aint too bad says it all really. to me £80 is cheap. i pay £100 a corner for Bridgestone Potenza SO3 "pole position" and you can really tell the difference in them.

Each to their own Mike.

Each to their own Mike.

of course each to there own - be very boring if we all had the same. I used to use conti's - infact there's 4 of them on the Carina e - but i was amazed the difference when i first started using the SO3's and havent looked back. the grip is really good, drop the clutch a 4k and the car just goes. i realise they arent cheap but defo worth the little extra and they last too - you're looking at 20k out of a pair, almost double what i used to get from conti's. if they werent really good tbh i say so - i've been using them for about 4 or 5 years now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links