Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Pls, Chook Chook Noise

fiz-vvti

as above i'm getting a chook chook noise coming from the back near the wheel area, i've got enough brake pads all round.

my guess out of the sky is the discs

has anyone else had a smilar problem

and can anyone point me in the right direction.

also i'm getting a sqeeking sound like a mice from the front driver side wheel.... any idea?

cheers guys and gals for any advice

are these noises just when you brake or are they constant.

on the front it could be the squeel plate needs replaced, the back could be disks or bearings. but what is a chook chook noise ?

thanks for the reply mate,

the sound is constant and its embarassing, seriously all i'm hearing is chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook...if i drove past u, u would honestly think its a train going past

do u have any idea how much the bearings/disks would set me back

hahahaha you've got a what sound??? :D

Rear disks, you'l be looking at a couple of hundred (non toyota), as they will probaby strongly advise you to change pads at the same time. And the labour costs would be more than the fronts, as they have the hand-brake mechanism to sort out as well.

Bearings, not too sure... You can buy them cheap for around £50 of the good old interweb (carparts-direct.co.uk), but if you need someone to fit them as well. Might be looking at £100 - £150 for a back street guarage to supply and fit...?

ah, i'm loosing the will,

Thanks DefiantFrog, will try the web and the link

get paid in 10 days so looks like i'll have to park her up for w few days, i think my alternators also packed up, had a new Battery in, but driving her for a while now and the Battery light comes on, spoke to mt cuz who works for the RAC and he said its likely to be the alternator, will get it looked at once its in the garage.

glad i've got my brothers corolla while he's on holiday

I love the sound description :lol::lol:

I trust that you have checked the basics and that there is not something stuck in the tyre tread?

I had a similar sound and it was a discarded tie wrap (Black coloured) that had firmly wedged in the rear tyre tread and was making an alarming sound every time the wheel went round.

Being black it was difficult to spot at a glance...................but it made the sound that you so eloquently described ;) :lol:

I love the sound description :lol::lol:

lol, i was driving back from asda last nyt and thinking how do i describe this to the lads....without them laughing.

cars at the other house so i'll double check later/2mrw to see if anything is stuck to the wheel.

cheers mate hadn't thought of that

thanks for the reply mate,

the sound is constant and its embarassing, seriously all i'm hearing is chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook chook...if i drove past u, u would honestly think its a train going past

do u have any idea how much the bearings/disks would set me back

I think I know exactly the noise you hear - cast your mind back to when you were a kid and the wheel on your bike was slightly buckled and it used to catch the brake each time it went past the same point!

I took mine to my local Bosch garage. They took it up and took all 4 wheels off and couldn't find any issues. There was some brake dust but other than that no issues whatsoever. The pads and discs were new in december and I'm not a heavy user so they were all fine. They said if there are any grinding noises to pop back.

I wasn't too pleased they couldnt find the problem but at least I know they are not shagged!

Any update on your "noise" yet??

whilst on this topic, how easy is it to change the back disks ? ive never came across a mechanism inside of the disk for the handbrake.

i would assume that you just leave the handbrake off, take off the brake caliper until the csk screws holding in the disk and off she comes. or is there alot more to it

still waiting to get paid mate, so it'll be in the garage in or around wednesday, i buckled my back off side wheel a few weeks ago... which led to one of the pin type of things breaking on the caliper...which resuluted in the pad not being held in the right place.... so basically it could be the caliper/brake pad to high up or it could be the wheel bearing as the wheel was all over the place. i got the back wheel replaced/changed all for wheels.

i'm just hoping it aint the discs cos they will cost a fair bit...

already forking out for the caliper, oil change, sparks plugs, got a minor power steering leak and the alternator possibly.....hence why i'm waiting for pay day.

• 2 weeks later...

well finally got the car in the garage, looks like its my n.s.r hub bearing, got rough qoute from Mr T £217, screw that, all parts and some other company said £160, managed to get a second hand one for £68 but will be picking it up in perosn so i'll get £8 back. will be back in 2mrw to get it sorted.

but got some other bits done, the garage changed me rear brake pads, me rear caliper as it was broke, oil change and alternator....for £30, thats right, he said £30, so i gave him £40 cos he was a nice chap (he knows me old man) and said i very realy come to the garage. on the down side though, as i was reversing the car off the ramp (cars lowered), i caught it on the ramp and ********ed me front bumper up, its a little on the loose side now, and part of its cracked near the wheel, also some paint work got scraped off as it lifted up against the bonnet, not happy,

chook ckook noise no more, got the problem sorted, it was the wheel bearing, got a second hand one for 45 quid, paid the mechanic 40 quid, got the car washed and hoovered for a tenner, job done.

i'm happy now