Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Stereo Replacement

undertaker_06

Hi there-i'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me.

I have a Carina E, and have just got myself a new Sony CDX-GT441IP Stereo. I have managed to remove the original stereo, and fix the cage, actually, secure the whole unit. The only trouble i'm having is wiring it up!

I'm not too hot on the wiring front, but would like to do it with a bit of help, before i go out and pay for an expert to do it, if its easy!

I hope you can help!

Kindest Regards,

Rich

im looking to do this as well mate so ill be keeping an eye for this.Was it easy to remove the original,and can you give me any pointers for it aka if the full plate has to come off.cheers

Visit the Autoleads site and see if they have a wiring adapter for your car. If they do it'll be much easier, and produce a much better job than splicing the loom. Most professional installers would buy the conversion lead rather than spend hours trying to match wires to your DIN connectors.

If they don't list one then I'd look to see whether any other Toyota adapters will do the job. That may be tricky, but it'll still

Visit the Autoleads site and see if they have a wiring adapter for your car. If they do it'll be much easier, and produce a much better job than splicing the loom. Most professional installers would buy the conversion lead rather than spend hours trying to match wires to your DIN connectors.

If they don't list one then I'd look to see whether any other Toyota adapters will do the job. That may be tricky, but it'll still

Remove the original stereo, and unplug that stereo from the cars cables, then on the cars cables you attache a adapter like this: http://www.biltema.se/Archive/ProductCat/bil/ISO_l.jpg

In sweden it works fine with this adapter, dont know if it looks different where you are.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem, i got mine from my local Toyota dealership - i gave 150 kr for it, approx £15 ... plug it in the original Toyota and in your Sony HU :)

I have a Carina E, and have just got myself a new Sony CDX-GT441IP Stereo. I have managed to remove the original stereo, and fix the cage, actually, secure the whole unit. The only trouble i'm having is wiring it up!

I'm not too hot on the wiring front, but would like to do it with a bit of help, before i go out and pay for an expert to do it, if its easy!

I hope you can help!

Kindest Regards,

Rich

I bought an ISO adaptor for mine, then discovered it didn't need it. Chap on eBay has them for about £1.50, so it's barely worth offering you mine.

Greetings fellow Carina Owners. This be my first post on the forum.

I too have (for obvious reasons) exchanged the radio for a decent CD-player. With pliers and

no patience I didnt get an ISO plug, but rather cut the wires and fastened them on the correct

places on the cables from the new CD-player.

Its not as bad as it looks. There are two cables for each loudspeaker, four for the front set and

four for the rear ones. Other than that its ground and 12V plus. However, there are several plus

cables. One allways has power coming to it, so your player doesnt forget things like time, date

and radio station settings. Another gets power when your key is set to ACC or ON, so that you

may start the CD-player. If you put theese two together, you'll be able to play without having

the keys stuck in, for instance. Also, there is a third and last +12V cable, sending signal when

you turn your lights on. This dims the lights on the player (optional, many cd-players dont support

this and ignore the signal.)

In addition to this, there is a cable called "remote" sending a 12V signal only when the CD-player

is turned on, so that eventual power amplifiers other than the CD-player are on when you're playing

music, and off when you're not, preventing them from draining the batterys power when the car

is standing around.

Ive also changed the original wires and front set Speakers. On my 93 Carina E XLI the maximum size

for front set Speakers is 5.25". The ones the !Removed! put in there in 93 really, really should be interchanged.

Feel free to ask me about car stereo, there is much aggrevation to be saved.

Regards

Neuroner

You all want...

Head Unit Adaptor

and when that item expires Click Here and choose the one for your car.

Hope this is useful

Collin

But you can save £10 looking at my links

I hope you can help!

Kindest Regards,

Rich

Update: Managed to connect the stereo, it works, sounds good.One minor problem: It doesnt remember my pre-set radio stations or the time! Any ideas on what this might be, have jus about tried everything i can think of, help!!

Kindest regards,

Rich

I hope you can help!

Kindest Regards,

Rich

Update: Managed to connect the stereo, it works, sounds good.One minor problem: It doesnt remember my pre-set radio stations or the time! Any ideas on what this might be, have jus about tried everything i can think of, help!!

Kindest regards,

Rich

Hiya, some leads have the 'permenent' and 'switched' lives the wrong way round, have you checked this in your plug? It could be the problem as mine was the same and after swapping them over it has been perrrrrrrrfect.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links