Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse Polarity Jump

craig.smith1977

Hi guys,

We'll I think I've done some seroius damage, I (attemped) to jump start the Yaris last night and stupdily got the jump wires the wrong way around on the donor car. Well the engine turned over a few times without starting, but I did noticed there was no speedo or tacho display????? after that nothing...........silence.

Cursing my stupidity I unhooked the jump wires and went through checking all the fuses, noting two 15amp fuses under the bonnet had blown. With these replaced I at least got a click when I turned the key, but still no display only the airbag light came on with ignition, although the CD player did spit out the CD... helpful. Reconnecting the jump leads (the right way around this time) I got the engine to start, but still no display... reving the engine it was very lumpy and misfiring.

It's pretty much dead and I feel like a muppet, and after reading about this kind of thing on the web this morning I think it's gonna cost me. I won't be jumping in future that's for sure.

Any ideas???? :(

I think it's an autoelectrician job.

thanks

Craig

Sorry to hear about that.

If you are unsure about what you are doing it may well be the best thing to consult an auto electrician :thumbsup:

We'll I changed the Battery over and got the engine running fine, but still no internal stuff working.

I spoke to Toyota and am booked in for a provisional hour diagnostics to see if it's worth fixing. He said I may have burnt out the 'Circiut board' and it could be costly. I suppose my question is can I mend this myself? Is there a circuit board? where is it? and is it a plug and play type thing? I was thinking of heading off to the scrap yard to see if they have any Yaris's in stock but I'm not sure what little electonic black box I'm looking for, and where to look for it. Is it an all in one with the engine control unit, because as I said the engine's running fine.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm used to working on classic cars, where the electrics are basic to say the least.

Thanks

Craig

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links