Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate Interior Light Not Working

jcoat

All fuses look ok. It's not the bulb as I've tested for power at the light. There's no obvious sign of a tailgate switch so I'm guessing there's a magnetic switch somewhere. Any help much appreciated.

All fuses look ok. It's not the bulb as I've tested for power at the light. There's no obvious sign of a tailgate switch so I'm guessing there's a magnetic switch somewhere. Any help much appreciated.

The switch on boots and hatchbacks is normally a small contact switch that's mounted beneath the loop that the tailgate lock engages into.

Unless anyone knows differently I'd remove the trim around that loop and I'm fairly sure you'll find the switch there.

The switch on boots and hatchbacks is normally a small contact switch that's mounted beneath the loop that the tailgate lock engages into.

Unless anyone knows differently I'd remove the trim around that loop and I'm fairly sure you'll find the switch there.

This is correct, they come loose and break contact.

Thank you for your very prompt response. I removed the trim around the loop but there was no sign of any switch. Do I have to unbolt the loop as well?

The switch is bolted to the loop bracket, r/h/ side as you look in the boot, from the outside.

Our car is a 2001 hatchbach.

UPDATE: Phoned Toyota and it turns out the switch is part of the boot latch mechanism so I'll have to take the tailgate trim off and have a look. If it's knackered I won't be replacing it though as Toyota said the switch is an integral part of the latch mechanism - price for replacement latch £56 + VAT. If it's broken I'll be buying one of those stick-up LED lights.

If you can't repair, get a picture of the latch and the switch; I have a loop complete with switch from a 95 Corolla. I wouldn't be surprised if the switch was exactly the same.

Thanks for the offer. After taking the trim off and testing the circuit it was the switch on the latch but all I need to do is disconnect and short the connector and then I can use the interior light manually on the switch.

Yep, that'll work.

Just make sure you don't forget to switch it off.

I know I'd do that eventually - probably when I was about to leave the car at the airport for a couple of weeks, knowing me.