Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying An Auris

Cold-Fusion

Hello all,

I guess this topic is aimed at anyone with experience of buying or selling the Auris, Sales King in particular i guess

I have decided to get a 1.6 iVVT Auris with the T-Spirit trim level (gagdets galour), I have test driven one a month or so ago although i didn't get a lot of time in the vehicle (Accompanied and was driven somewhere by the sales person, so only got to drive the car on the way back).

1. I understand that some dealers are doing 24hr test drives on the Sr, would it be possible to have a T-Spirit for that period

2. How much of a discount do you think I would be able to haggle off a new or used (ultra low mileage)?

3. Do pre-registered or ex demonstrations only come with 1 year warranty?

4. What is the timescale for ordering a new Auris and taking delivery?

All replies and info welcome

Check when buying; but you should always at least have the balance of the 3 year Toyota warranty.

So if you buy a 3 month old car it should have 33 month warranty left. Unless something was done to invalidate the warranty, then this should be the case for any UK supplied Toyota.

Check when buying; but you should always at least have the balance of the 3 year Toyota warranty.

So if you buy a 3 month old car it should have 33 month warranty left. Unless something was done to invalidate the warranty, then this should be the case for any UK supplied Toyota.

Wow I didn't expect that. I expected as soon as it was 'used' that toyota would only supply a 1 year warranty. but if they honour the 3 year agreement thats brilliant.

Thanks T600.

I am a Toyota salesman.

1. I understand that some dealers are doing 24hr test drives on the Sr, would it be possible to have a T-Spirit for that period.

It may be possible, but obviously I'd have to try and arrange that at my own branch.

2. How much of a discount do you think I would be able to haggle off a new or used (ultra low mileage)?

Depends if you have a part exchange, we have a lovely low mileage 1 year t-spirit at my dealership, which I could do an outstanding deal on.

They all come with the remaining balance of the manufacturers warranty, or if it is outside that period, then it will be 1 year.

T-Spirit, should be around 2-3 weeks as a standard car, if you order accessories, it will take a bit longer for them to build that specific car.

If I can help in any other way, dont hesitate to drop me a reply on here, or PM.

Hi Cold Fusion, Glad to see that you are interested in purchasing an Auris 1.6. Strange that the saleman you did your test drive with seemed to do most of half of the driving, did he forget to stop and let you take over? You should be happy with your choice of car, but if you feel you need another run dont hesitate to ask for a longer drive before you sign on the line.

I could start a sales war with Snoopie for business, but that might depend on where you live and which one could work out a better deal for you.

Dealers are offering 24Hr test drives on the SR, but the car is supplied and insured by Toyota GB. We are also taking a £250 security deposit from anyone before they take the car. Its down to each dealerships discretion as to arranging cars for a non-TGB supported 24hr test drive, obviously your business is important to us, but there a few good reasons why dealerships wont always offer this.

Discount is only something that can be discussed at the time closer to purchase, there are many factors that influence a discount and how much that is, the words discount and Toyota dont fit well with me. It almost devalues the creditibility in Toyota if the cars are discounted too much, Toyota is not a discount product.

What is it on a T-spirit that makes you want one of those? What if you could get a better deal on something else in the range? What deals have you already been offered? PM me, lets see if I can help you out

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm based in Sussex/Kent and have been looking with Motorline Toyota.

I currently have a 99 Renault Clio with 60,000 miles on the clock and things have started failing causing me to spend £800 on a car worth £1500. So i decided to get something a bit more reliable, a car that will hold its value more and a bit bigger. I did a lot of research and short listed the Honda Civic, Volkswagen Golf, and the Auris. I've test driven the Auris and Civic but I quickly realized I could get an Auris with a higher spec for the same money as a basic Civic or Golf.

On my test drive the sales rep did let me drive back but only for probably 15 minutes (Honda let me drive the civic for 30 minutes on my own).

In regards to pricing I know Toyota price aggressively but I also know dealers can get discounts from the list price (I was offered a T-Spirit for £13,500 with discounts - at the end of march) If I waited to the end of the month or end of the quarter (end of june) what might the discount be nothing, £500, £1,000?

What makes me go for the T-Spirit? I just wanted the extra's you get like Auto headlights/wipers, cruise control and the improved dash. I know the TR is very reasonable but I do prefer the T-Spirit.

I currently have a 99 Renault Clio with 60,000 miles on the clock and things have started failing causing me to spend £800 on a car worth £1500. So i decided to get something a bit more reliable, a car that will hold its value more and a bit bigger. I did a lot of research and short listed the Honda Civic, Volkswagen Golf, and the Auris. I've test driven the Auris and Civic but I quickly realized I could get an Auris with a higher spec for the same money as a basic Civic or Golf.

On my test drive the sales rep did let me drive back but only for probably 15 minutes (Honda let me drive the civic for 30 minutes on my own).

In regards to pricing I know Toyota price aggressively but I also know dealers can get discounts from the list price (I was offered a T-Spirit for £13,500 with discounts - at the end of march) If I waited to the end of the month or end of the quarter (end of june) what might the discount be nothing, £500, £1,000?

What makes me go for the T-Spirit? I just wanted the extra's you get like Auto headlights/wipers, cruise control and the improved dash. I know the TR is very reasonable but I do prefer the T-Spirit.

I'm not sure why anyone would take advantage of the T-Spirt now, especially with the TR now coming with Climate control air-con, which now makes the dash the same. Big customer savings also.

If I can be of any help to you, drop me a PM.

Or alternatively whereever you're based, drop Sales King a line.

Good luck purchasing!

Discount is only something that can be discussed at the time closer to purchase, there are many factors that influence a discount and how much that is, the words discount and Toyota dont fit well with me. It almost devalues the creditibility in Toyota if the cars are discounted too much, Toyota is not a discount product.

Don't believe that load of old tosh - just a sales ploy to make you think you are getting something 'exclusive'. I'd avoid any dealer with that attitude or philosophy. Too much of that around as it is in rip off Britain. Good products can usually still be had at a discount so always haggle. Almost any product is a discount product. It depends on supply and demand - if the dealer needs to sell they will discount. If they can sell all they can get and are left wanting by the manufacturer they probably won't discount. I doubt that Toyota are in that position currently with the Auris!

I'm not sure why anyone would take advantage of the T-Spirit now, especially with the TR now coming with Climate control air-con, which now makes the dash the same. Big customer savings also.

Or alternatively wherever you're based, drop Sales King a line.

Good luck purchasing!

Same could be said for why get a SR180?, especially of times of expensive fuel and taxation. I had a look at the Toyota website and couldn't see climate control available on the TR but obviously your more knowledgeable than me.

This looks like a good deal (ex-demonstration model i believe) http://www.motorline.co.uk/toyota/stock/st...hp?car_id=14605

I'm not sure why anyone would take advantage of the T-Spirit now, especially with the TR now coming with Climate control air-con, which now makes the dash the same. Big customer savings also.

Or alternatively wherever you're based, drop Sales King a line.

Good luck purchasing!

Same could be said for why get a SR180?, especially of times of expensive fuel and taxation. I had a look at the Toyota website and couldn't see climate control available on the TR but obviously your more knowledgeable than me.

This looks like a good deal (ex-demonstration model i believe) http://www.motorline.co.uk/toyota/stock/st...hp?car_id=14605

No, the same cannot be said for the SR180 as its more expensive again lol. (And the reason why people choose the SR180 is because they must do long distances and love the motorway surge it provides and general easy power driving - Whereas the 1.6 wont do that, but still return 35 mpg around town)

The TR is a cheaper car than the T-Spirit, and yes, now the new TR comes with climate control,

Don't believe that load of old tosh - just a sales ploy to make you think you are getting something 'exclusive'. I'd avoid any dealer with that attitude or philosophy. Too much of that around as it is in rip off Britain. Good products can usually still be had at a discount so always haggle. Almost any product is a discount product. It depends on supply and demand - if the dealer needs to sell they will discount. If they can sell all they can get and are left wanting by the manufacturer they probably won't discount. I doubt that Toyota are in that position currently with the Auris!

I want to ignore your comments, but i can't. You dont know what your talking about though.

I want to ignore your comments, but i can't. You dont know what your talking about though.

I don't think you should ignore my comments ;) We all have our views but I do think you should expand on your suggestion that I don't know what I am talking about since, if I'm wrong (and I don't have any hang ups about being proved so) it may well help others when they are looking to buy a Toyota from a dealer.

In today's highly competitive automotive market I don't follow why anyone buying a Toyota (which, whilst I like the make, is still a mass production car and certainly not in the top quality bracket) would feel better paying more than they might because it's, well, a Toyota :rolleyes: Doesn't sound like the most popular selling strategy in the showroom. Might work with Aston Martin though.

Discounts are something discussed on a one to one, we dont subscribe to the dutch auction of "If you can do it for this because so and so is doing it for that" We tailor our deal to suit the customer, we deal face to face and if a discount is right for the deal then that is what we do. It has been said by me and others on here before, Toyota might be a mass car builder, but they are one that don't have massive margins to give away. Big discounts up front only contribute to poor residual values later in life and while everything depriciates, Toyota's are amongst the best in the trade. If you just want the cheapest car available and that suits you, then go to a bucket shop and buy one, just remember your dealer is there for the long haul and will be looking after its own customers long after the bucket shop has folded, changed its name and done a runner. We have been selling Toyota for over 30 years, I think we might have just got the hang of it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Discounts are something discussed on a one to one, we dont subscribe to the dutch auction of "If you can do it for this because so and so is doing it for that" We tailor our deal to suit the customer, we deal face to face and if a discount is right for the deal then that is what we do. It has been said by me and others on here before, Toyota might be a mass car builder, but they are one that don't have massive margins to give away. Big discounts up front only contribute to poor residual values later in life and while everything depriciates, Toyota's are amongst the best in the trade. If you just want the cheapest car available and that suits you, then go to a bucket shop and buy one, just remember your dealer is there for the long haul and will be looking after its own customers long after the bucket shop has folded, changed its name and done a runner. We have been selling Toyota for over 30 years, I think we might have just got the hang of it

Good to see a sensible, detailed, response :thumbsup: Have to say though that there will be some (including me) who wonder whether all dealers want to be in it for the long haul given the way some customers get treated (not remotely implying that's the case with Kingo's dealership by the way :rolleyes: ).

How generous any specific offered discount is perceived is relative to the deal in hand but I do think there remain (in my view) some good discounts available - not all direct from dealers - and it doesn't seem to have impacted on Toyota's reputation generally for attracting good residual value. On the 'dutch auction' front, which I imagine is a common negotiating strategy, I would expect a dealer to pay it at least some credence (and ask for the evidence) unless, presumably, it just doesn't want that particular sale. Doesn't mean, of course, that a negotiated price above the initial' dutch auction' level isn't possible if the dealer convinces the prospective buyer that it would be better to buy from them for some reason. That's life.

Hello all,

I guess this topic is aimed at anyone with experience of buying or selling the Auris, Sales King in particular i guess

I have decided to get a 1.6 iVVT Auris with the T-Spirit trim level (gagdets galour), I have test driven one a month or so ago although i didn't get a lot of time in the vehicle (Accompanied and was driven somewhere by the sales person, so only got to drive the car on the way back).

1. I understand that some dealers are doing 24hr test drives on the Sr, would it be possible to have a T-Spirit for that period

All replies and info welcome

Drivethedeal.com are showing an Auris 1.6 T-Spirit 5dr in a metallic for £12,833.38, try asking your dealer to beat or match that. I know this is a mercenary approach but the cars the same and its supplied by a UK Dealer.

Just thought I would chuck in another twopennys worth!

The way the bucket shops work is this. They setup as a fleet partnership which gives them extra discount off a car, they then use this discount to make the car look cheap and attract the sale. The majority have an office, computer and phone, nothing else. No showroom, workshop or any other expenses other than their small empire. They can sell a car, make £100 and are well happy as they dont even hand the car over to you the customer.

Dealers themselves dont get these fleet discounts so we are never on a level playing field. The whole "Fleet" market is a shambles, as it was originally setup so that if you were buying a fleet of cars, you would get extra discount. How selling one car to Joe Egg constitutes a fleet deal you tell me, but thats the way it is. We operate by giving good service and back up when it goes wrong, try bending the bucket shop owners ear when you have a problem, I know what he will tell you :D: it would probably end in "off" and go see your dealer!

The way the bucket shops work is this. They setup as a fleet partnership which gives them extra discount off a car, they then use this discount to make the car look cheap and attract the sale. The majority have an office, computer and phone, nothing else. No showroom, workshop or any other expenses other than their small empire. They can sell a car, make £100 and are well happy as they dont even hand the car over to you the customer.

Dealers themselves dont get these fleet discounts so we are never on a level playing field. The whole "Fleet" market is a shambles, as it was originally setup so that if you were buying a fleet of cars, you would get extra discount. How selling one car to Joe Egg constitutes a fleet deal you tell me, but thats the way it is. We operate by giving good service and back up when it goes wrong, try bending the bucket shop owners ear when you have a problem, I know what he will tell you :D: it would probably end in "off" and go see your dealer!

Totally Agree John, its not fair, however the car and warranty are the same and its always going to be a buyers market. I cant fault you for trying to provide a good service whilst retaining a bit of profit for your efforts though.

Re Fleet: I know of national buying agreements that have Toyota's at 25% discount, no wonder residuals are poor for Joe Public with crazy discounts like this floating around. However Ford & Vauxhall give up to 45% on their cars!

Sorry, just saw this after editing my last comments!

As it happens, I think this actually fits with what I have said about the dealer convincing the buyer that, whilst a discount of some kind will usually be on offer, cheapest isn't always best.

If I lived round the corner sounds like the place I would go to replace my current car ;) Kingo's that is, not the bucket shop :P

Just thought I would put my two pence worth in !!!

Firstly take your time and have a good look around when trying to obtain a good deal don't forget it is the cost to change that matters!!

Its a buyers market and despite what anybody says there are discounts out there to be had.

Consider using a car broker I used car file and they were excellent and all dealings were done through a Toyota dealership( the dealer also took my part ex in) and the cash was paid to the dealer any offers that Toyota was giving was also available !! Because of the age of your car it will just be sold through the trade try to establish what the trade would give ( a trade price is what you would get at a auction).

When you have established the discounted price for your new car deduct the trade price for your car that will be the cost to change .

when you have got your cost to change go to a dealer tell them you are ready to do a deal if they will match your cost to change figure .

If they agree and you are ready to deal do it!! if they refuse and start going red and say they cannot get near it just try another dealer .

You may have more success if the dealer runs a fleet operation

Beware of the finance APR rate they charge if you need to have a loan !!

It does take a little bit of work and time to get the best deal but it is worth it in the long run as it helps minimise the deprecation on the next change

Give the dealers a chance to get your business they may surprise you

hope it helps

One last point if the response at the dealership is similar to Sales King response (the words discount and Toyota don't fit well with me. It almost devalues the credibility in Toyota if the cars are discounted too much, Toyota is not a discount product) you are at the wrong dealership I have been buying Toyota's for many years and have always had sizeable discounts !!! the only time discounts on motor vehicle are not available is for cars which are in short supply or in demand !! I do not think that you would describe the Auris as in short supply

Although I have read the description of a bucket shop, i don't know what types of places these are thought to be - brokers? or similar.

However, if you are buying new and get what is thought to be a deal that is as cheap/competitive as possible, then if there are any problems wouldn't you take it to your nearest fully fledged Toyota (non bucket) dealer to rectify. As far as I know, they are obliged and happy to sort warranty issues out. If so, the debate over the quality of the establishment you are buying from is only a minor decision when purchasing your new vehicle

when i bought me t sport they wanted £11k for it - i gave them £9300! Toyota are offering a lot of interest free finance deals ot the mo which indicates poor sales. minimum discount you want is 10% but i would think twice - Toyotas dont hold ther value like they used too, my T Sport is nearly 4 now and isnt worth selling - its dropped £4k in 2 years/20k miles. Civic and Golfs are the only hatches worth considering these days if you want some money back in 3 years. one T Sport owner compared the depreciation to Alfa's!

I know Parts King enjoys these little discussions with me regarding dealerships profit margins :D

This is an example I went to a Toyota dealership I knew what my car was worth in the trade and I knew what discount was achievable through a car broker and asked the dealership if they would match the figures I wanted( cost to change) I would buy the car there and then .

They said they could not get near it .

I phoned the car broker he then contacted the Toyota dealership who then phoned me and the deal was done over the telephone including taking my part exchange in ).

Guess what this was at the same dealership who 2 days previous could not get near the figures that i wanted

So what is wrong is it that private buyers are subsidizing

fleet customers ??

The broker made his money by introducing a customer to the dealership

Yes you are quite right Parts King its a funny system but it has always been like it and if manufacturers want to keep up the production capacity it will always be like it .

I do not think you can call the Toyota dealership I dealt with a bucket shop as 2 days before they may have had my business anyway

At the end of the day

1 --- I was happy I got a large discount

2 ---- the dealer was happy they made a sale which they would not have got

3 ----- the broker was happy

:thumbsup:

Good to see a sensible, detailed, response :thumbsup: Have to say though that there will be some (including me) who wonder whether all dealers want to be in it for the long haul given the way some customers get treated (not remotely implying that's the case with Kingo's dealership by the way :rolleyes: ).

I was going to give a detailed response, but your comments wound me up too much and i was too tired to say anything more than i did. Just like i am now

I was going to give a detailed response, but your comments wound me up too much and i was too tired to say anything more than i did. Just like i am now

Do not take it too personally with any comments that are made !! sometimes things that are written do not come across as they were meant :thumbsup:

Do not take it too personally with any comments that are made !! sometimes things that are written do not come across as they were meant :thumbsup:

bjw is absolutely right. And life's way too short to get wound up by anyone's view on a forum ;) We aren't all going to agree on everything. Rich tapestry of life and all that :)